Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ingram to Chiefs

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ingram was great week 1 then we shelved him.

And what am i missing i don't see Highsmith on that win edge list?

And that list is total garbage, they have Chandler Jones at the bottom. Guy is a monster.
    Last edited by LPMAN; 11-02-2021 at 12:48 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think we can't know the answer to this without knowing the interpersonal stuff.

Just from an asset management perspective, I think Ingram for the remainder of the season is probably more valuable than the mid-6th we'd expect to get at this point.

But we don't know his personal situation and so we can't have much of an idea about whether or not he'd James Harrison his way through the rest of the season. Standing our ground didn't work well in that situation.

And since we don't sit in on negotiations for these mid to low level UFAs, I don't think we know if these "we want volunteers not hostages" type decisions help make deals for guys like Ingram happen. "Look, we'll take you at this lower price...and if you aren't happy with how your usage at the trade deadline we've done our best in past to help guys that feel like they don't fit move".

But I was hoping to get at least a 5th.
    Fair. I am obviously assuming keeping him did not seem tenable for the Steelers FO.

Frankly, the leak of his being unhappy and subsequent scratch off the depth chart vs the Browns likely didn't help his value wrt the open market

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brothervad View Post
    Fair. I am obviously assuming keeping him did not seem tenable for the Steelers FO.

Frankly, the leak of his being unhappy and subsequent scratch off the depth chart vs the Browns likely didn't help his value wrt the open market
    I think this is reasonable.

I assume the reason we were willing to trade him for so little is that he wanted to leave and was going to be a problem behaviorally if he stayed.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You can now book that Watt or Highsmith gets a bad injury.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LPMAN View Post
    Ingram was great week 1 then we shelved him.

And what am i missing i don't see Highsmith on that win edge list?

And that list is total garbage, they have Chandler Jones at the bottom. Guy is a monster.
    The fact that there was only one team bidding should tell you something.
    Highsmith was near Watt on pass and run win rates.
    I'm not gonna dog Ingram. Was a nice backup piece but he obviously thought he was a starter. Steelers weren't going to make him happy.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    The fact that there was only one team bidding should tell you something.
    Highsmith was near Watt on pass and run win rates.
    I'm not gonna dog Ingram. Was a nice backup piece but he obviously thought he was a starter. Steelers weren't going to make him happy.
    I totally understand the situation. Ingram is old & on a 1 year contract so his worth is much lower than a young upcomer like Highsmith. But i still find it strange we played Ingram so little after he played so well vs Bills. Highsmith is probably more rounded player but Ingram still brings good value as a pass rusher. It kinda reminds me of when we had RB Blount who played well when given playing time but then we played very little & then when asking for more time we played even less. Same with Harrison his last year; Harrison gets little playing time he gets to play end of Chiefs game 2017 & he sacks Smith to seal the win so then they stop playing him ??? Sometimes it's just a headscratcher. You brought in Ingram for a reason. I don't think Highsmith is playing that great, he might develop like Bud Dupree and be great in a few years but at this moment Ingram IMO deserved more playing time.

There was actually people on this board after Bills game comparing Watt/Ingram to Lloyd/Greene wondering if they would break their sack records.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LPMAN View Post
    I totally understand the situation. Ingram is old & on a 1 year contract so his worth is much lower than a young upcomer like Highsmith. But i still find it strange we played Ingram so little after he played so well vs Bills. Highsmith is probably more rounded player but Ingram still brings good value as a pass rusher. It kinda reminds me of when we had RB Blount who played well when given playing time but then we played very little & then when asking for more time we played even less. Same with Harrison his last year; Harrison gets little playing time he gets to play end of Chiefs game 2017 & he sacks Smith to seal the win so then they stop playing him ??? Sometimes it's just a headscratcher. You brought in Ingram for a reason. I don't think Highsmith is playing that great, he might develop like Bud Dupree and be great in a few years but at this moment Ingram IMO deserved more playing time.

There was actually people on this board after Bills game comparing Watt/Ingram to Lloyd/Greene wondering if they would break their sack records.
    I get what you are saying and it's reasonable. But also consider that he was signed as a backup, not going to be the starter. So why would you play him when Highsmith was healthy, risk injury to him as an older player (already coming off injury last season), then possibly not have him available at the end of the season when they might need him? The Steelers are usually pretty clear with FAs about their roles when they sign them. I don't think they promise guys things they don't intend to honor (may be me being a homer there).
    Ingram's showing against BUF probably convinced him he was a starter. Lot's of guys would look good playing with Heyward and Watt. Let's see what happens when he gets to KC with that sieve of a DL.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I would have played Ingram on a lot of 2nd and 3rd & longs. I would have determined playing time of Highsmith & Ingram based on performance. And rotating them would help keep Highsmith fresh at end of year too.

I don't think Highsmith's performance is deserved of 90- 100% playing time like Watt at the other side. Whats he have have 1 sack coming from the 3-4 Blitzburgh blindside? WOW
    Last edited by LPMAN; 11-02-2021 at 02:36 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

There has also been some nice words regarding the Taco man. Could it be that the team believes that Taco is as good a #3 right now as Ingram, and might as well get rid of a potential problem?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    there has also been some nice words regarding the taco man. Could it be that the team believes that taco is as good a #3 right now as ingram, and might as well get rid of a potential problem?
    taco sunday?