Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: A JJ supporter who must admit concern

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    And if you telling me all if his sacks was unblocked, you probably was in the back seat with Bell and Blount. But hey don't be shy pass that shi+++
    Prior to last year, they were all unblocked. Every one of them

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    The dude has played about 3 total quarters so far this preseason. Let's revisit this at the end of the season. If he doesn't show improvement in his second year, there will be some cause for concern. Anything before that and I'm not sweating it.
    OK, here we go, lot's of food for thought. Let me tell you why I _AM_ sweating it right now. When JJ makes an effort to bull rush, he is like a BB hitting the side of the Queen Mary. The OT doesn't even move. You hear somewhat of a "smack" but there is visibly zero movement created. At least when Harrison launched himself at an OT they had to hold on for dear life or hold him around the neck. I don't see that from JJ; all I see is no power, and no burst. Will more playing time alter that? It doesn't seem likely. I expected to see a bigger, stronger JJ. I am disappointed to see that didn't materialize.

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I just can't take a post seriously from someone who immaturely misspells Dick LeBeau's name...
    Oh, I am so sorry to hear that, but I am dyslexic and his name is French and just too jacked up for me to remember correctly. I am sure it is such a serious issue. I am surprised the Internet police haven't already arrived and arrested us.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolie Man View Post
    Lol. Seriously? Are you gay?
    LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    He may be good or he may be bad, but that will be a determination for after his 3rd year. To make it now or even after this year would be premature. Let the guy play some games and we'll revisit this thread.
    No, it appears he just doesn't have the power or burst to be effective. Now, if you think that will change in a year (i.e. PEDs, lifting free weights) then you would have a point.

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    Hmmmm....so the only way for an NFL player to get stronger is to get bigger biceps? Got it. This place is brilliant.
    No, that is kind of a straw man argument, isn't it. The arms __DO__ illustrate if a player is overall powerful and muscular, not because arms along make for power, but they are an indicator if one is powerful. In case you missed it, all of the best LBs out there DO INDEED have big guns. JJ doesn't and when you watch him play, you can plainly see he lacks in power. When he bull rushed the OT, you heard a smack, but the OT didn't seem to move 1 inch. I really thought JJ would hit the weights, at least. It doesn't appear he has and his play is reflective of it.

Look I understand core work makes you stronger waist down, but being that I've been working out the last10 + years you have to have some upper body strength to disengage a player and chest and triceps muscles helps a lot. I'm sorry some of you haven't lift weights or wrestle /played football a day in your life.
    Yup. Exactly. Even if you simplify this even more so, take a look at a guy who has a powerful bench (primarily chest), what will you notice about his arms? They will be huge.

Football players don't lift weights and take illegal substance for appearance, they do it to get stronger. And JJ is definitely not doing either.
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Yeah... because you know better than Joey Porter and other coaches that have said the complete opposite.
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    How many times did Harrison get to Brady or any QB when they spread our D out? If JJ struggles in our first few games vs division rivals then sure, it makes sense to worry about his development. However, I don't think we can ask "where is JJ" if we play teams who spread us out and dink and dunk in the flats.

edit: by no means do I think JJ is on Harrison's level but JH struggled with the spread option and couldn't get to QB's when they spread us out.
    It just doesn't matter what system they were playing; JJ got zero penetration - or even MOVEMENT, for that matter - so it just doesn't matter if they were spread out or not, period. I thought JJ would come in much stronger, as he promised, and I just don't see that. You can't have a "wispy" LB and expect him to play at the NFL level.

Now HERE is what a legit LB looks like (and works out like).

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    OK, here we go, lot's of food for thought. Let me tell you why I _AM_ sweating it right now. When JJ makes an effort to bull rush, he is like a BB hitting the side of the Queen Mary. The OT doesn't even move. You hear somewhat of a "smack" but there is visibly zero movement created. At least when Harrison launched himself at an OT they had to hold on for dear life or hold him around the neck. I don't see that from JJ; all I see is no power, and no burst. Will more playing time alter that? It doesn't seem likely. I expected to see a bigger, stronger JJ. I am disappointed to see that didn't materialize.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that, but I am dyslexic and his name is French and just too jacked up for me to remember correctly. I am sure it is such a serious issue. I am surprised the Internet police haven't already arrived and arrested us.

LMAO

No, it appears he just doesn't have the power or burst to be effective. Now, if you think that will change in a year (i.e. PEDs, lifting free weights) then you would have a point.

No, that is kind of a straw man argument, isn't it. The arms __DO__ illustrate if a player is overall powerful and muscular, not because arms along make for power, but they are an indicator if one is powerful. In case you missed it, all of the best LBs out there DO INDEED have big guns. JJ doesn't and when you watch him play, you can plainly see he lacks in power. When he bull rushed the OT, you heard a smack, but the OT didn't seem to move 1 inch. I really thought JJ would hit the weights, at least. It doesn't appear he has and his play is reflective of it.

Yup. Exactly. Even if you simplify this even more so, take a look at a guy who has a powerful bench (primarily chest), what will you notice about his arms? They will be huge.

It just doesn't matter what system they were playing; JJ got zero penetration - or even MOVEMENT, for that matter - so it just doesn't matter if they were spread out or not, period. I thought JJ would come in much stronger, as he promised, and I just don't see that. You can't have a "wispy" LB and expect him to play at the NFL level.

Now HERE is what a legit LB looks like (and works out like).

I'm surprised that I was able to actually read this post all the way to:

"Yup. Exactly. Even if you simplify this even more so, take a look at a guy who has a powerful bench (primarily chest), what will you notice about his arms? They will be huge. "

After that, I had no other choice but to stop reading.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm talking about starting, being in 57 and we all know he didn't come in the defense in those games. But starting 21 with 18 sacks is still not too shabby. Regardless how he got them although I watch every Steelers games and didn't see what you saw. But it's all good man
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Who was the video of? Work blocks it.

You can get stronger without getting bigger...i dont know how people cant grasp that. look at him vs Brick Ferguson and Joe Thomas and tell me hes not strong enough to play OLB.

But as far as Jones getting zero penetration or MOVEMENT. Not true. And the following just disproves everything you just said about jones, in fact it makes me wonder if youve ever even watched him or just form opinions based on what others say from our bi polar fan base

He might not have the sack numbers but he was hitting the QB, getting in the backfield, and showed he was good in traffic. Now the disclaimer is I dont have any GIFs of Jarvis looking confused, being slow off the snap, and making rookie mistakes...which is had plenty of those moments too...these are realy ones for the people who have seen nothing from him and think hes sucks and is a sure fire bust

***these werent compiled by me, i stole them

First one off the snap:

Putting Joe Thomas on his *** with a bullrush

Popped by a pulling guard and still makes the play

He misses the sack but he still fires off the ball and is too quick inside for the guard and tackle to react, and he forces the QB out of the pocket.

Puts D'Brickashaw Ferguson on skates

Forces the game clinching INT

Last edited by K Train; 08-25-2014 at 04:37 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm talking about starting, being in 57 and we all know he didn't come in the defense in those games. But starting 21 with 18 sacks is still not too shabby. Regardless how he got them although I watch every Steelers games and didn't see what you saw. But it's all good man
    Jarvis has 8 starts. 1 sack. Those are not good numbers. But worilds had 3 in his first 8 starts (all back in 2011) and they were unblocked (2 against the browns, 1 against the chiefs)...better numbers, but still unimpressive, especially the sacks themselves.

All im saying is there is a lot of potential between the two, but worilds came on very slow and while we cant really afford jones to take that much time...he deserves at least a little more time. Theres a reason the steelers havent extended worilds, they dont trust him and they really shouldnt...hes been inconsistent

Legend

User Info Menu

Some nice plays there.
    Trolls are people too.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that, but I am dyslexic and his name is French and just too jacked up for me to remember correctly.
    Yeah, considering how new he is to the Steelers and to the NFL, not to mention how long his last name is (six whole letters!), I imagine it can be a pretty difficult name to master...

Perhaps someone should refer to you as "suck butts" and then claim that they have a learning disability...

It's just immature...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Yeah, considering how new he is to the Steelers and to the NFL, not to mention how long his last name is (six whole letters!), I imagine it can be a pretty difficult name to master...

Perhaps someone should refer to you as "suck butts" and then claim that they have a learning disability...

It's just immature...
    Lol. Its been decided. Suck butts it is.

Legend

User Info Menu

From this day forth...the elders of Planet Steeler doth thee dub "sick beats" Suck Butts. It is done.
    Trolls are people too.