Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Old Topic, New take

  1. #1
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Old Topic, New take

    Anyone watch Mahommes make plays and wonder if he and Andy Reid are just a good pairing? Like if some other person was calling plays, would they try and remove all of his non-standard "magic" that he's allowed to create?

    Caitlyn Clark's basketball coach called Steve Kerr and asked "how do you coach a player like Steph Curry", who tends to do ridiculous, yet non-traditional stuff.

    Mahommes is not the smartest ever
    He is not the most accurate ever
    He is not the most competitive ever
    He doesn't have the greatest stats ever

    His "super power" is to make plays off cycle. I think that due to his time with Brett Favre, he had the wisdom to allow that "talent" to flourish.

    Tua threw for more yards, along with a handful of others. Dak and a few others threw for more TDs. But, when it counted, Mahommes hoisted another trophy.

    Getting to the point: In the past, I have argued that Tomlin's biggest error ever was firing Arians. Typically, people respond with stats of other OCs calling plays for Ben... or Dick LeBeau (yes, HE mattered).

    But in Arians, Ben had a guy who would allow him to uses his super power when he wanted/needed.

    I'm not sure that I've ever pieced it together like this. If I did, it was on a whim in someone else's post and apologize for the duplication
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

    DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington


  2. #2
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Anyone watch Mahommes make plays and wonder if he and Andy Reid are just a good pairing? Like if some other person was calling plays, would they try and remove all of his non-standard "magic" that he's allowed to create?

    Caitlyn Clark's basketball coach called Steve Kerr and asked "how do you coach a player like Steph Curry", who tends to do ridiculous, yet non-traditional stuff.

    Mahommes is not the smartest ever
    He is not the most accurate ever
    He is not the most competitive ever
    He doesn't have the greatest stats ever

    His "super power" is to make plays off cycle. I think that due to his time with Brett Favre, he had the wisdom to allow that "talent" to flourish.

    Tua threw for more yards, along with a handful of others. Dak and a few others threw for more TDs. But, when it counted, Mahommes hoisted another trophy.

    Getting to the point: In the past, I have argued that Tomlin's biggest error ever was firing Arians. Typically, people respond with stats of other OCs calling plays for Ben... or Dick LeBeau (yes, HE mattered).

    But in Arians, Ben had a guy who would allow him to uses his super power when he wanted/needed.

    I'm not sure that I've ever pieced it together like this. If I did, it was on a whim in someone else's post and apologize for the duplication
    great take.

    I understood why Arians was let go. but in hindsight, it was definitely a mistake.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

    What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

    Gloat gloat gloat


    Boom........

    My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

  3. #3
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Anyone watch Mahommes make plays and wonder if he and Andy Reid are just a good pairing? Like if some other person was calling plays, would they try and remove all of his non-standard "magic" that he's allowed to create?

    Caitlyn Clark's basketball coach called Steve Kerr and asked "how do you coach a player like Steph Curry", who tends to do ridiculous, yet non-traditional stuff.

    Mahommes is not the smartest ever
    He is not the most accurate ever
    He is not the most competitive ever
    He doesn't have the greatest stats ever

    His "super power" is to make plays off cycle. I think that due to his time with Brett Favre, he had the wisdom to allow that "talent" to flourish.

    Tua threw for more yards, along with a handful of others. Dak and a few others threw for more TDs. But, when it counted, Mahommes hoisted another trophy.

    Getting to the point: In the past, I have argued that Tomlin's biggest error ever was firing Arians. Typically, people respond with stats of other OCs calling plays for Ben... or Dick LeBeau (yes, HE mattered).

    But in Arians, Ben had a guy who would allow him to uses his super power when he wanted/needed.

    I'm not sure that I've ever pieced it together like this. If I did, it was on a whim in someone else's post and apologize for the duplication
    If Arians had remained the OC, Ben?s career may had been five years shorter

    One of the reasons he was let go was the number of hits Ben took was unsustainable
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

  4. #4
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    great take.

    I understood why Arians was let go. but in hindsight, it was definitely a mistake.
    It was a huge mistake. When you have a hall of fame talent, you allow him to do what he is good at even if goes against your system at times. They have unique talent. You do not handcuff him. Like Noll did with Bradshaw. Like Arians did with Ben.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. Art Rooney II, get a new head coach.

    Current mock draft as of 3-18-24

    1. QB Nix
    2. C Fraizer
    3. OT Fisher
    3B. DL Smith
    4. S Bullock
    6. WR Pickney
    6. CB Newton

  5. #5
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Anyone watch Mahommes make plays and wonder if he and Andy Reid are just a good pairing? Like if some other person was calling plays, would they try and remove all of his non-standard "magic" that he's allowed to create?

    Caitlyn Clark's basketball coach called Steve Kerr and asked "how do you coach a player like Steph Curry", who tends to do ridiculous, yet non-traditional stuff.

    Mahommes is not the smartest ever
    He is not the most accurate ever
    He is not the most competitive ever
    He doesn't have the greatest stats ever

    His "super power" is to make plays off cycle. I think that due to his time with Brett Favre, he had the wisdom to allow that "talent" to flourish.

    Tua threw for more yards, along with a handful of others. Dak and a few others threw for more TDs. But, when it counted, Mahommes hoisted another trophy.

    Getting to the point: In the past, I have argued that Tomlin's biggest error ever was firing Arians. Typically, people respond with stats of other OCs calling plays for Ben... or Dick LeBeau (yes, HE mattered).

    But in Arians, Ben had a guy who would allow him to uses his super power when he wanted/needed.

    I'm not sure that I've ever pieced it together like this. If I did, it was on a whim in someone else's post and apologize for the duplication
    There was a lengthy, good writeup on Mahomes (I'll try to go back and find it) that talked about why he was so unique. They made a big deal of the coaches he had while in college who didn't try to 'fix him' into a classic NFL quarterback. His mechanics are not ideal, his footwork isn't ideal, his release is occasionally awkward. But the coach recognized that Mahomes made it work for himself.
    They also said his background playing baseball is where he learned to make throws off platform, from any angle, and still be highly accurate. In fact, the author said that a player that has played multi-sports in college should be one to value if all else is equal. They talked about how this affects spatial awareness (like knowing where your teammates are on a basketball court). Can't play good football with tunnel vision.

  6. #6
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Need a top 3 defense for an Arians offense. Doubt we have the success long term if we kept Arians but I get why folks liked him.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

    "Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"



  7. #7
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    I think you're underselling Mahomes quite a bit based on just this year. When he had a better supporting cast he put up the best numbers. Put Mahomes in Dallas this year and they might go undefeated.

    Dak's 36 TDs this year would be good enough for the 5th best in Mahomes' career.

  8. #8
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Reid lays out the system for Mahommes to succeed in. Mahommes biggest asset to me is his pocket awareness/presence, he's never rattled and he sort of just slips away from pressure to find a WR or throw it away, has to drive defenses crazy. I also think KC's Oline holds like crazy which helps lol.

    I don't think Ben ever really had a great OC to be honest, Arians might have been the best OC he had but Ben was arguably most productive under Haley. Not sure if Ben was ever really coachable though like most NFL QBs, we'll never know. There weren't/aren't very many QBs at the NFL like Ben.

  9. #9
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    The best coaches are always the ones who know how to play to the strengths of their star players. The Rats re-defined their offense to fit what Lamar is good at. I'm not sure what the Steelers are doing anymore with the QB position other than trying to hide it for 3/4 of a game to avoid turnovers.

    What made Ben great is that he found a way to be himself, regardless of the system he was playing in. He had success with multiple styles and coordinators.

  10. #10
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    The best coaches are always the ones who know how to play to the strengths of their star players. The Rats re-defined their offense to fit what Lamar is good at. I'm not sure what the Steelers are doing anymore with the QB position other than trying to hide it for 3/4 of a game to avoid turnovers.

    What made Ben great is that he found a way to be himself, regardless of the system he was playing in. He had success with multiple styles and coordinators.
    Well, I think we set up Ben for a conservative offense he just did his thing half the time which upset the coaches but had positive results.

    Kenny extended plays but it led to bad things happening at a much higher rate than with Ben his rookie year.

    Still think Kenny can sling it if he is let loose like the first Cincy game. The problem is Kenny keeps getting injured which makes it march harder to see if he could flourish, especially without Canada.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

    "Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •