X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WindyCitySteel
    Legend
    • Nov 2011

Contextual look at Pickett's deep ball accuracy

This one is going to make some folks unhappy...

While you wouldn’t have to look hard to find a Kenny Pickett fan in Pittsburgh, most nevertheless have their reservations about how he is going to develop as the Steelers’ franchise quarterback. He made significant strides during his rookie season, but at least the perception indicates there’s still much room for improvement in certain target […]
  • crushedspirit
    Pro Bowler
    • Feb 2021

Curious how different studies can show vastly different numbers. ADJ% according to PFF on 20+ is 42.6% for Pickett on 47 attempts.

Comment

• flippy
      Legend
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by WindyCitySteel
      This one is going to make some folks unhappy...

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/03/ke...-ball-project/
      Maybe I’m too much of a homer, but I think he’s a lot better than these stats show.

So many times on bad plays you can see he’s just not yet on the same page as a his WR or he had seen a certain coverage or wasn’t expecting a certain game speed.

But in general you don’t see the same mistakes get repeated.

I think everyone got caught up in KP being NFL ready from day 1. And we didn’t have the patience to let him learn.

We’ve lived thru this with him at Pitt. No one thought he was great in college until he was.

Same thing playing out. 99% of KP is mental and work ethic. He’s on the right track.
      sigpic

Comment

• Oviedo
        Legend
        • May 2008

Originally posted by flippy
        Maybe I’m too much of a homer, but I think he’s a lot better than these stats show.

So many times on bad plays you can see he’s just not yet on the same page as a his WR or he had seen a certain coverage or wasn’t expecting a certain game speed.

I think everyone got caught up in KP being NFL ready from day 1. And we didn’t have the patience to let him learn.

We’ve lived thru this with him at Pitt. No one thought he was great in college until he was.

Same thing playing out. 99% of KP is mental and work ethic. He’s on the right track.
        This!!!

KP still has a long way to go but towrds the end of last season he showed that he has a foundation to build upon
        "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Comment

• whisper
          Legend
          • Mar 2020

Well, you are notorious for being overly optimistic - on the same track here. I saw lots of throws that were "off" downfield. This claims a lot were "on" with the WR dropping them. Of course, throws downfield were limited in the play calling. We will see if, and by how much, that improves. Can Cool Shades stop living in his fears?

Comment

• Steel Maniac
            Banned
            • Apr 2017

We have one side who's says that the second half of the season , KP improved significantly.
            We have another side who says that the lighter schedule is why KP supposedly improved.

That will be settled this coming season.

Comment

• feltdizz
              Legend
              • May 2008

In think if Claypool hauls in that first deep pass his first impression is totally different.

You had people claiming his arm and small hands caused that INT.

and I think if you have an agenda you will use the “most NFL ready” quote out of context on purpose. The full quote was “the nmost NFL ready QB in this draft”

of course Purdy came out of nowhere but among the QB’s being mentioned during the draft they were right.
              Giants 10
              Steelers 31

Comment

• feltdizz
                Legend
                • May 2008

Originally posted by Steel Maniac
                We have one side who's says that the second half of the season , KP improved significantly.
                We have another side who says that the lighter schedule is why KP supposedly improved.

That was already settled. We had the 5th hardest schedule last year. People don’t want to admit that our “softer schedule”
                wasn’t soft at all. It just wasn’t the gauntlet we faced the first half of the season.
                Giants 10
                Steelers 31

Comment

• Oviedo
                  Legend
                  • May 2008

Originally posted by feltdizz
                  That was already settled. We had the 5th hardest schedule last year. People don’t want to admit that our “softer schedule”
                  wasn’t soft at all. It just wasn’t the gauntlet we faced the first half of the season.
                  Why rely on facts when you can misrepresent them to push you negative naratives
                  "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Comment

• whisper
                    Legend
                    • Mar 2020

Originally posted by Steel Maniac

It really can't be argued that the schedule for sure lightened up in quality of opponent down the stretch. I mean, it just can't be argued.

@Cincinnati
                    New England
                    @Cleveland
                    New York Jets
                    @Buffalo
                    Tampa Bay
                    @Miami
                    @Philadelphia
                    vsNew Orleans
                    vsCincinnati
                    @Indianapolis
                    @Atlanta
                    vs Baltimore
                    @Carolina
                    vs Las Vegas
                    @Baltimore
                    vs Cleveland

I mean, NYJ, Fins, Bills, Eagles vs Raiders, Saints, Falcons, Panthers....ummmm, well........let's get real here.

Comment

• feltdizz
                      Legend
                      • May 2008

Originally posted by Oviedo
                      Why rely on facts when you can misrepresent them to push you negative naratives
                      yep.. and this year we have what looks on paper to be a favorable schedule. If we win a bunch of games best believe they will use it as an excuse.
                      Giants 10
                      Steelers 31

Comment

• Northern_Blitz
                        Legend
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by crushedspirit
                        Curious how different studies can show vastly different numbers. ADJ% according to PFF on 20+ is 42.6% for Pickett on 47 attempts.
                        I think here it's because the definition of "deep" is > 21 yards.

My understanding of Pickett's "accuracy" or completion rate, or success, or whatever, is that he was good short, bad intermediate, and OK to good deep.

I think most people have said that the things he needs to be much better at are "red zone" and "intermediate (maybe something like 10-20 AY)" passing. IIRC, data in these segments put him among the worst of NFL starters. Hopefully (1) I'm wrong and (2) if I'm right it's something he can improve.

And that we need a system that lets him complete the short passes he's really good at and turn those short passes into bigger plays.

Edited to add: Didn't read the whole article yet, but it's encouraging that he seems to deliver under pressure. That fits the "clutch" narrative. Hopefully that pans out.
                        Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 03-09-2023, 03:04 PM.

Comment

• feltdizz
                          Legend
                          • May 2008

Originally posted by whisper
                          It really can't be argued that the schedule for sure lightened up in quality of opponent down the stretch. I mean, it just can't be argued.

@Cincinnati
                          New England
                          @Cleveland
                          New York Jets
                          @Buffalo
                          Tampa Bay
                          @Miami
                          @Philadelphia
                          vsNew Orleans
                          vsCincinnati
                          @Indianapolis
                          @Atlanta
                          vs Baltimore
                          @Carolina
                          vs Las Vegas
                          @Baltimore
                          vs Cleveland

I mean, NYJ, Fins, Bills, Eagles vs Raiders, Saints, Falcons, Panthers....ummmm, well........let's get real here.
                          Cincinnati and at Baltimore

I know you like to downplay division games
                          but they count.

and please don’t try the “but Lamar wasn’t playing” because there are multiple threads telling everyone Lamar sucks.. and Lamar does the play defense.
                          Giants 10
                          Steelers 31

Comment

• NJ-STEELER
                            Legend
                            • May 2008

Originally posted by whisper

@Cincinnati
                            New England
                            @Cleveland
                            New York Jets
                            @Buffalo
                            Tampa Bay
                            @Miami
                            @Philadelphia
                            vsNew Orleans
                            vsCincinnati
                            @Indianapolis
                            @Atlanta
                            vs Baltimore
                            @Carolina
                            vs Las Vegas
                            @Baltimore
                            vs Cleveland

And previously mentioned.
                            the stat is skewed because while Baltimore overall record technically gives us a “ harder schedule” we played then both times against their back up.
                            Lamar was 8-4.
                            Huntley was 2-3.

so softer schedule then then stat alludes to

Comment

• NJ-STEELER
                              Legend
                              • May 2008

Originally posted by feltdizz
                              Cincinnati and at Baltimore

I know you like to downplay division games
                              but they count.

and please don’t try the “but Lamar wasn’t playing” because there are multiple threads telling everyone Lamar sucks.. and Lamar does the play defense.

Even if Lamar does suck. He beat out the back up. No?

what was Kenny’s record compared to Mitch’s

do you really think playing a back up qb doesn’t matter?

Comment

Working...