PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin best coach in the NFL in 2020

Oviedo
11-20-2020, 02:35 PM
Caution: May be painful for some to read

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2020/11/20/21579021/mike-tomlin-is-the-best-head-coach-in-the-nfl-in-2020-pittsburgh-steelers-busting-the-narrative-coty

hawaiiansteel
11-20-2020, 03:09 PM
my vote would be for Tomlin, but I also have to give Brian Flores a lot of credit for how he has turned the Dolphins franchise around.

Starlifter
11-20-2020, 03:23 PM
I won't dispute it for this year - but I thought his best coaching job was last year.

flippy
11-20-2020, 04:19 PM
I like Tomlin as much as anyone, but I always think of Lee Flowers calling Tampa Bay paper champions many years ago when I hear someone anoint someone as the best before a season is completed.

I don’t follow all the teams as closely as the Steelers, but I would imagine some coach has his team improving on a trajectory that might not even pay off until next year.

Here’s some small stats to consider:

1. Bill B and Andy R are in the top 10 all time in career wins.

2. Mike T is ranked #10 in terms of the % of times his teams make the playoffs amongst active coaches.

The Steelers are doing fine right now, but we’ve got 10 more wins to go this season before we consider naming Tomlin the greatest.

whisper
11-20-2020, 04:58 PM
my vote would be for Tomlin, but I also have to give Brian Flores a lot of credit for how he has turned the Dolphins franchise around.

Way too early at this point. I don't think there should be a conversation on it 11-20, with 7 games left.

It's still wide open. I think dudes like Reid, Hoodie, McDermott, Carroll, Chucky and more could all win it. Can you imagine if Hoodie gets the Pats into the playoffs? That would be insane.

Steel Maniac
11-20-2020, 05:43 PM
Way too early at this point. I don't think there should be a conversation on it 11-20, with 7 games left.

It's still wide open. I think dudes like Reid, Hoodie, McDermott, Carroll, Chucky and more could all win it. Can you imagine if Hoodie get the Pats into the playoffs? That would be insane.

A lot of good candidates; we’ll see how it plays out.

Eich
11-20-2020, 05:55 PM
I’m very pro-Tomlin but it’s way too early to crown him best of 2020. What if we are dominated in the first round of the playoffs and are one and done?

He very well might be the best of 2020 but it hinges more on the rest of the season than being 9-0 now.

Disco1981
11-20-2020, 06:12 PM
So far, YES.... They're undefeated for Gods sake! Who tf else would it be....Right now

NJ-STEELER
11-20-2020, 07:17 PM
right now, the dolphin turn around is bigger and Flores is doing it with less talent. but, long way to go.

no one expected 9-0 so far, but 8-8 last year with a HOF QB returning from injury. I'm sure some voters would use that as their counter point

Northern_Blitz
11-20-2020, 07:19 PM
right now, the dolphin turn around is bigger and Flores is doing it with less talent. but, long way to go.

no one expected 9-0 so far, but 8-8 last year with a HOF QB returning from injury. I'm sure some voters would use that as their counter point

I tend to think that coach of the year is a stupid award (basically an award for which team the media and fans were most wrong about), MIA seems like a good pick if you subscribe to the "biggest turnaround" theory for this award.

I also generally agree that Tomlin deserved consideration last year for getting a pretty good result under terrible circumstances. But this year is also impressive given that the rookies are contributing with no pre-season and the team has been pretty good at following rules / not getting sick (although maybe that argument loses some luster when we consider that MT got fined for not wearing a mask on the sideline).

Buzz
11-20-2020, 09:08 PM
Tomlin doing a fine job, ought to be at the forefront of COA consideration

but as some have noted, still a lot of games left to go

whether he wins it or not, we should be thankful we've had his steady leadership during this covid-plagued season

imagine if we'd had an Adam Gase or Dan Quinn running the show

fordfixer
11-20-2020, 10:33 PM

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2020/11/20/21579021/mike-tomlin-is-the-best-head-coach-in-the-nfl-in-2020-pittsburgh-steelers-busting-the-narrative-coty

J https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2020/11/20/21579021/mike-tomlin-is-the-best-head-coach-in-the-nfl-in-2020-pittsburgh-steelers-busting-the-narrative-coty

whisper
11-21-2020, 12:38 AM
Tomlin doing a fine job, ought to be at the forefront of COA consideration

but as some have noted, still a lot of games left to go

whether he wins it or not, we should be thankful we've had his steady leadership during this covid-plagued season

imagine if we'd had an Adam Gase or Dan Quinn running the show

I got to agree. Tomlin has managed this team well, no AB or Bell BS distractions. He has done a great job.

NorthCoast
11-21-2020, 02:54 PM
I think Tomlin had a better season last year. What he did to get wins was simply amazing.

NJ-STEELER
11-21-2020, 05:03 PM
I tend to think that coach of the year is a stupid award (basically an award for which team the media and fans were most wrong about), MIA seems like a good pick if you subscribe to the "biggest turnaround" theory for this award.

I also generally agree that Tomlin deserved consideration last year for getting a pretty good result under terrible circumstances. But this year is also impressive given that the rookies are contributing with no pre-season and the team has been pretty good at following rules / not getting sick (although maybe that argument loses some luster when we consider that MT got fined for not wearing a mask on the sideline).

rookies are contributing through out the league. as they usually do.

perhaps we're used to seeing our high Defensive picks take years to contribute. especially with our former DC

NJ-STEELER
11-21-2020, 05:05 PM
I think Tomlin had a better season last year. What he did to get wins was simply amazing.

i'm trying to imagine our record last year if ben doesn't get injured. so many close games with sub Quarterback play.

12-4 minimum ?

Starlifter
11-22-2020, 01:02 AM
i'm trying to imagine our record last year if ben doesn't get injured. so many close games with sub Quarterback play.

12-4 minimum ?

I think that's why Ike Taylor predicted 13-3. Seem to recall him saying - they got 8 wins with a 4th string QB. I'm pretty sure Ben is good for at least 5 more than that......

Steel Maniac
11-22-2020, 01:01 PM

12-4 minimum ?

Boom..............

NJ-STEELER
11-22-2020, 02:35 PM
I think that's why Ike Taylor predicted 13-3. Seem to recall him saying - they got 8 wins with a 4th string QB. I'm pretty sure Ben is good for at least 5 more than that......

ike knows !!!

:)

hawaiiansteel
11-22-2020, 02:48 PM
ike knows !!!

:)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9c/I_Like_Ike_button%2C_1952.png

Captain Lemming
11-22-2020, 05:47 PM
rookies are contributing through out the league. as they usually do.

perhaps we're used to seeing our high Defensive picks take years to contribute. especially with our former DC

When your defense gives up less than 14 a game, its kinda hard for rookies to contribute.

Show me a team that routinely starts 5 or 6 rookies and I'll show you are team with roster of scrub veterans.

NJ-STEELER
11-22-2020, 11:26 PM
When your defense gives up less than 14 a game, its kinda hard for rookies to contribute.

Show me a team that routinely starts 5 or 6 rookies and I'll show you are team with roster of scrub veterans.

who said anything about the amount of rookies on a defense? I'm talking about 1st round picks taking years to crack the starting line up under the old DC
something that was even addressed by AR2

Captain Lemming
11-23-2020, 12:22 AM
who said anything about the amount of rookies on a defense? I'm talking about 1st round picks taking years to crack the starting line up under the old DC

Just 1st round?
We tended to draft offense in the first throughout the Lebaeu era.

Defensinve rookies drafted 1st round under DL
1. Deon Figures- Became a starter as a rookie
2. Lawrence Timmons- Was raw, too small for outside had to learn inside linebacker
3. Ziggy Hood- No explaining needed
4. Cam Heyward- drafted just after we went to a Superbowl and had the number one defense his rookie season. Yet I could see a case for him. He is the only guy that MIGHT have been ok as a rookie.

Steel Maniac
11-23-2020, 12:52 PM

I think this is an awsome thread and I look forward to revisiting it through our playoff run!!

Oviedo
11-23-2020, 01:00 PM

Something I pointed out for years. The old DC was great with veterans but never could "coach up" the young guys

hawaiiansteel
11-23-2020, 01:01 PM
I think this is an awsome thread and I look forward to revisiting it through our playoff run!!

why, so you can shamlessly gloat?

we see your sig is predicting failure, what a hypocritical and lousy thing to say.

Ernie
11-23-2020, 01:06 PM
This has been refreshing.. just a bunch of team first guys buying in to doing what it takes to win a championship... theres no lockerroom drama.... tomlin and his crew are doing a fine job.

Steel Maniac
11-23-2020, 01:07 PM
This has been refreshing.. just a bunch of team first guys buying in to doing what it takes.. which is winning a championship... theres no lockerroom drama.... tomlin and his crew are doing a fine job.

Let's go kick some Ratbird @ss!!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-23-2020, 01:48 PM
This has been refreshing.. just a bunch of team first guys buying in to doing what it takes to win a championship... theres no lockerroom drama.... tomlin and his crew are doing a fine job.

I just finished listening to Tomlin's PC. One of the questions was related to this. The guy talked about how all of the players sem to be parroting the same message about not caring about going undefeated, it is about winning the Lombardi, which is the same message that MT preaches. That tells me that after all these years, he is still able to get players (a nice combination of young and old) buy in to what he is selling.

Two reasons for this IMO. This coach has the ability as a mentor to earn the respect and loyalty of his players. It is similar to what hoodie has been able to do but in a much different way. 53 oars paddling in one direction.

Second reason is the decision the team made about four years ago to focus on character in all personnel moves. The first example of this I noted was failed draft pick Artie Burns. Since then (and I have said this in probably every draft thread every April) they target people who they want in their team dynamic on top of skill. Not saying they will draft a scrub because he is the greatest person in the world but I believe that they basically erase people from their draft board based on character issues and will use it as a metric to grade players. IMO the reason is because they believe that much of the last decade was lost due to players who were highly skilled who destroyed the team from the inside. It is just my opinion but I will bet if anyone decides to write a tell-all book about this recent team there will be some stories in there that would blow us away, that the team managed to keep hidden from the public.

Steel Maniac
11-23-2020, 02:12 PM
I just finished listening to Tomlin's PC. One of the questions was related to this. The guy talked about how all of the players sem to be parroting the same message about not caring about going undefeated, it is about winning the Lombardi, which is the same message that MT preaches. That tells me that after all these years, he is still able to get players (a nice combination of young and old) buy in to what he is selling.

Two reasons for this IMO. This coach has the ability as a mentor to earn the respect and loyalty of his players. It is similar to what hoodie has been able to do but in a much different way. 53 oars paddling in one direction.

Second reason is the decision the team made about four years ago to focus on character in all personnel moves. The first example of this I noted was failed draft pick Artie Burns. Since then (and I have said this in probably every draft thread every April) they target people who they want in their team dynamic on top of skill. Not saying they will draft a scrub because he is the greatest person in the world but I believe that they basically erase people from their draft board based on character issues and will use it as a metric to grade players. IMO the reason is because they believe that much of the last decade was lost due to players who were highly skilled who destroyed the team from the inside. It is just my opinion but I will bet if anyone decides to write a tell-all book about this recent team there will be some stories in there that would blow us away, that the team managed to keep hidden from the public.

To your point, Ebron was known as a bit of a malcontent. But here, they say he's been a joy in the locker room.

Ernie
11-23-2020, 02:24 PM
To your point, Ebron was known as a bit of a malcontent. But here, they say he's been a joy in the locker room.

I think some guys grow out of it.. as they become pros.. luckily it looks like hes one of those guys.

Northern_Blitz
11-23-2020, 04:15 PM
I think some guys grow out of it.. as they become pros.. luckily it looks like hes one of those guys.

Sometimes it's probably the guy messing up the team.

Sometimes it's probably the team messing up the guy.

Shawn
11-23-2020, 04:24 PM

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2020/11/20/21579021/mike-tomlin-is-the-best-head-coach-in-the-nfl-in-2020-pittsburgh-steelers-busting-the-narrative-coty Yeah but Tomlin is using Cowher players. Soooooo

feltdizz
11-23-2020, 04:39 PM
Sometimes it's probably the guy messing up the team.

Sometimes it's probably the team messing up the guy.

With the Lions, I feel like if you aren’t being malcontent you just like losing.

NJ-STEELER
11-23-2020, 06:54 PM
2. Lawrence Timmons- Was raw, too small for outside had to learn inside linebacker

raw? why are they drafting some at 15 overall who is so raw he can't start over larry foote for 2 years

Captain Lemming
11-25-2020, 10:57 PM
raw? why are they drafting some at 15 overall who is so raw he can't start over larry foote for 2 years

Because he would go on the be the teams leading tackler on a number one defense that went to the SB?
Because already drafted Patrick Willisvwas the ONLY inside LBer with a better career?

If we judge the quality of the player by how soon they became a starter then Troy Edwards was a far superior player then Hines Ward or Antonio Brown. :)

hawaiiansteel
11-25-2020, 11:22 PM
Because already drafted Patrick Peterson was the ONLY inside LBer with a better career?

you mean Patrick Willis?

flippy
11-26-2020, 06:00 AM
you mean Patrick Willis?

What choo talkin bout Willis?

NJ-STEELER
11-26-2020, 01:28 PM
Because he would go on the be the teams leading tackler on a number one defense that went to the SB?
Because already drafted Patrick Willisvwas the ONLY inside LBer with a better career?

If we judge the quality of the player by how soon they became a starter then Troy Edwards was a far superior player then Hines Ward or Antonio Brown. :)

you're lost

any team drafting someone at 15 overall wants him starting from day 1. especially with rookie deal being inexpensive compared to years ago

taking year #3 to start is a disappointment

the players you mention were "raw" and drafted in the more proper rounds

feltdizz
11-26-2020, 02:01 PM
you're lost

any team drafting someone at 15 overall wants him starting from day 1. especially with rookie deal being inexpensive compared to years ago

taking year #3 to start is a disappointment

the players you mention were "raw" and drafted in the more proper rounds

on bad teams or bad franchises this is true.

Ben was going to sit for a year. He was forced into the starting lineup.

I also think the last CBA have teams another year. We do a great job drafting players and letting them learn our complex defense vs forcing them in early watching them look totally lost. We rarely put guys out there year one on defense and when we did it was usually situational football with one assignment.

NJ-STEELER
11-26-2020, 06:32 PM
on bad teams or bad franchises this is true.

Ben was going to sit for a year. He was forced into the starting lineup.

I also think the last CBA have teams another year. We do a great job drafting players and letting them learn our complex defense vs forcing them in early watching them look totally lost. We rarely put guys out there year one on defense and when we did it was usually situational football with one assignment.

QB is a whole different animal. Mahomes, rodgers, brady didn't start from day 1. there's lots of teams that do that with their future franchise QBs

what other teams do this at other positions at a consistent basis? there were two other ILBs drafted after timmons that started from day 1. beason and pozullny (off the top of my head)
it was an old, almost retired brett keisal starting in front of heyward and an old mostly adequate larry friggin foote starting ahead of timmons. not all stars by any means

since rooney's statement, there's been a big difference seeing these high picks getting on the field quicker. that suggests the defense was too complex for these young guys. there's also been a change at DC which may have something to do with that

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-26-2020, 07:04 PM
QB is a whole different animal. Mahomes, rodgers, brady didn't start from day 1. there's lots of teams that do that with their future franchise QBs

what other teams do this at other positions at a consistent basis? there were two other ILBs drafted after timmons that started from day 1. beason and pozullny (off the top of my head)
it was an old, almost retired brett keisal starting in front of heyward and an old mostly adequate larry friggin foote starting ahead of timmons. not all stars by any means

since rooney's statement, there's been a big difference seeing these high picks getting on the field quicker. that suggests the defense was too complex for these young guys. there's also been a change at DC which may have something to do with that

IIRC Steelers second rounder Lamar Woodley started from day one (or at least very close to it)

NJ-STEELER
11-26-2020, 11:40 PM
IIRC Steelers second rounder Lamar Woodley started from day one (or at least very close to it)

2nd year. haggans was the starting LOLB in woodley's rookie year

feltdizz
11-27-2020, 12:33 AM

Different teams, different needs. I don’t think starting day 1 is important for a first
round pick unless your team is trash. We went to a SB in 2005. Timmons was drafted 2007 and by 2008 we were back in another SB. Don’t get me wrong, it’s great when it happens but I don’t think it was that big of a deal with Timmons.

Captain Lemming
11-27-2020, 12:49 AM
you're lost

You mean like the dude who just got inducted into the Hall of Fame?

Yeah, the VERY LAST FIRST ROUND PLAYER drafted before Lebeau returned was not a day one starter on a BAD defense.

Was drafting Troy a mistake?
We MOVED UP to get him and he rode the pine.

Gonna blame Lebeau? :)

Captain Lemming
11-27-2020, 01:45 AM

If we weren't sitting rookies we'd have all those LEAGUE LEADING defensesand SUPERBOWLS like the Bills and Panthers had when Beason and Paul P became day one starters. :)

Do this NJ.
Name ALL the SUPERBOWLS that the Steelers have seen (won and loss) since Chuck Noll FORTY years ago.

They have ONE SOLITARY NAME not named Rooney involved who was key to those teams.
Not Cowher, not Tomlin, not Ben.

The guy who was so stupid he had Timmons coming off the bench on a Superbowl winning number one defense.

Dick Lebeau.

NJ-STEELER
11-27-2020, 01:36 PM

Yeah, the VERY LAST FIRST ROUND PLAYER drafted before Lebeau returned was not a day one starter on a BAD defense.

Hmm, didn't troy start his 2nd year (unlike Timmons).

didn't troy see like 50% of the snaps ( accumulated nearly 50% of his total tackles in the next few years)
of course you guys knew that because he's a DB and the amount of Nickle and dime defense they play. right?

what kind of bizzaro world do you live in where you think teams go into a draft and with the 15 overall pick say, its Ok if this guy doesn't start for 2 years.
please tell which team does that?

NJ-STEELER
11-27-2020, 01:46 PM
If we weren't sitting rookies we'd have all those LEAGUE LEADING defensesand SUPERBOWLS like the Bills and Panthers had when Beason and Paul P became day one starters. :)

Do this NJ.
Name ALL the SUPERBOWLS that the Steelers have seen (won and loss) since Chuck Noll FORTY years ago.

They have ONE SOLITARY NAME not named Rooney involved who was key to those teams.
Not Cowher, not Tomlin, not Ben.

The guy who was so stupid he had Timmons coming off the bench on a Superbowl winning number one defense.

Dick Lebeau.

well, they did some how finish better then us the year before we drafted timmons, didn't they??

you bring up rooney, why would he come out with the statement of needing to get are high drafted players on the field quicker if he was satisfied with what was happening?

feltdizz
11-27-2020, 02:07 PM
Hmm, didn't troy start his 2nd year (unlike Timmons).

didn't troy see like 50% of the snaps ( accumulated nearly 50% of his total tackles in the next few years)
of course you guys knew that because he's a DB and the amount of Nickle and dime defense they play. right?

what kind of bizzaro world do you live in where you think teams go into a draft and with the 15 overall pick say, its Ok if this guy doesn't start for 2 years.
please tell which team does that?

a team that fields one of the best defenses a year after drafting the player at 15?

if your team is putting all their hopes on the 15th pick them sure, you want them to start ASAP.

I believe Timmons was drafted when he was 20 years old. I think it’s obvious we were drafting for the future and not the present with that pick.

I definitely had frustration with the DL learning curve but we can’t really deny the results with our drafting process and our defense overall during the Lebeau years.

Northern_Blitz
11-27-2020, 03:00 PM

I think he played mostly sub package stuff in year 1. He got plays where he was pretty much 100% rushing the QB.

IIRC, he made a big impact year 1 but wasn't technically the starter.

Northern_Blitz
11-27-2020, 03:01 PM

What a waste of a pick! FIRE EVERYONE!

:p