Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tomlin best coach in the NFL in 2020

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin best coach in the NFL in 2020

Caution: May be painful for some to read

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2020/11/20/21579021/mike-tomlin-is-the-best-head-coach-in-the-nfl-in-2020-pittsburgh-steelers-busting-the-narrative-coty

Legend

User Info Menu

my vote would be for Tomlin, but I also have to give Brian Flores a lot of credit for how he has turned the Dolphins franchise around.
    We're 10-0 Baby!!!!!!!!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I won't dispute it for this year - but I thought his best coaching job was last year.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

I like Tomlin as much as anyone, but I always think of Lee Flowers calling Tampa Bay paper champions many years ago when I hear someone anoint someone as the best before a season is completed.

I don’t follow all the teams as closely as the Steelers, but I would imagine some coach has his team improving on a trajectory that might not even pay off until next year.

Here’s some small stats to consider:

1. Bill B and Andy R are in the top 10 all time in career wins.

2. Mike T is ranked #10 in terms of the % of times his teams make the playoffs amongst active coaches.

The Steelers are doing fine right now, but we’ve got 10 more wins to go this season before we consider naming Tomlin the greatest.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    my vote would be for Tomlin, but I also have to give Brian Flores a lot of credit for how he has turned the Dolphins franchise around.
    Way too early at this point. I don't think there should be a conversation on it 11-20, with 7 games left.

It's still wide open. I think dudes like Reid, Hoodie, McDermott, Carroll, Chucky and more could all win it. Can you imagine if Hoodie gets the Pats into the playoffs? That would be insane.
    Last edited by whisper; 11-20-2020 at 05:47 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    Way too early at this point. I don't think there should be a conversation on it 11-20, with 7 games left.

It's still wide open. I think dudes like Reid, Hoodie, McDermott, Carroll, Chucky and more could all win it. Can you imagine if Hoodie get the Pats into the playoffs? That would be insane.
    A lot of good candidates; we’ll see how it plays out.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I’m very pro-Tomlin but it’s way too early to crown him best of 2020. What if we are dominated in the first round of the playoffs and are one and done?

He very well might be the best of 2020 but it hinges more on the rest of the season than being 9-0 now.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

So far, YES.... They're undefeated for Gods sake! Who tf else would it be....Right now

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

right now, the dolphin turn around is bigger and Flores is doing it with less talent. but, long way to go.

no one expected 9-0 so far, but 8-8 last year with a HOF QB returning from injury. I'm sure some voters would use that as their counter point

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    right now, the dolphin turn around is bigger and Flores is doing it with less talent. but, long way to go.

no one expected 9-0 so far, but 8-8 last year with a HOF QB returning from injury. I'm sure some voters would use that as their counter point
    I tend to think that coach of the year is a stupid award (basically an award for which team the media and fans were most wrong about), MIA seems like a good pick if you subscribe to the "biggest turnaround" theory for this award.

I also generally agree that Tomlin deserved consideration last year for getting a pretty good result under terrible circumstances. But this year is also impressive given that the rookies are contributing with no pre-season and the team has been pretty good at following rules / not getting sick (although maybe that argument loses some luster when we consider that MT got fined for not wearing a mask on the sideline).