https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/falcons-to-hire-clock-and-replay-assistant/

C'mon, Tomlin, you need to do the same.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-10-2019, 06:48 PM
nah, his gut is never wrong

oh wait

SidSmythe
01-11-2019, 06:47 PM
There's gotta be a trusted assistant who picks his nose in the booth who can make those calls ....

Captain Lemming
01-11-2019, 09:24 PM
... by the Falcons.

Buzz......dont tease us like that

steelz09
01-13-2019, 08:15 PM
nah, his gut is never wrong

oh wait

Wow, what concept. Don't expect the fraud of the spineless Rooney's to make this common sense hire.

We have a head coach that makes decisions on his "gut" instead of his brain.

Idiocracy is upon us.

steeler_george
01-13-2019, 08:45 PM
... by the Falcons.

can we trade AB for him ?

RuthlessBurgher
01-16-2019, 11:58 AM
Panthers looking at adding game-management help

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 16, 2019, 7:44 AM EST

Panthers owner David Tepper likes coach Ron Rivera and wanted to bring him back.

But he wants to offer him some help as well.

During an interview with a small group of reporters Tuesday, Tepper said there are ways Rivera can improve things on the field, and they might adjust the coaching staff to reflect that.

“I think there’s some sort of evolution that should be happening here,” Tepper said. “I’ve talked about analytics before; we’ve talked internally about a game management person of some sort — a coach; things like that. You want to do everything you can to give you every edge you can on that field.”

For all the things he’s good at, clock management is a thing that gets away from Rivera at times. Tepper alluded to such times in his in-house video earlier this week.

“I’m very much focused on not giving anything, anything we can for free,” he said. “I don’t want to see 10 seconds go away, I don’t want to see 5 seconds go away that we should save.”

If they handle this issue with a specific personnel addition, they won’t be the first team to hire such help, or even the first in their division. Falcons coach Dan Quinn has designated an assistant coach to help with clock management, replay challenges and timeouts.

Like Rivera, Quinn is taking over defensive play-calling this year, and as a head coach adds things to his plate something needs to come off. And recognizing that Rivera needs some help is a good first step. The Panthers were notoriously stingy with assistant coaching salaries under previous ownership, and if Tepper is willing to pay for some extra help, it may offer a significant return on the field.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/16/panthers-looking-at-adding-game-management-help/

Mick'sTeam
01-16-2019, 02:14 PM
I get teams adding a role like this in situations where their HC is calling the defensive or offensive plays. But Tomlin is not. So if we take clock management off his plate, what is left on it?

Northern_Blitz
01-16-2019, 02:59 PM
I get teams adding a role like this in situations where their HC is calling the defensive or offensive plays. But Tomlin is not. So if we take clock management off his plate, what is left on it?

In my opinion, the clock management person wouldn't be making the calls. They'd be more like an analytics expert that can feed Tomlin something like the change in win percentage between calling and not calling timeouts in specific circumstances. The HC would still make the final decision (based on data instead of gut).

And some people on here believe that Tomlin does call the D. And negotiate contacts with assistant coaches. And do scouting (but only of players that don't work out). Really...if anything goes wrong, it's all Tomlin. And good stuff is probably still the ghost of Cowher.

Mick'sTeam
01-16-2019, 05:10 PM
In my opinion, the clock management person wouldn't be making the calls. They'd be more like an analytics expert that can feed Tomlin something like the change in win percentage between calling and not calling timeouts in specific circumstances. The HC would still make the final decision (based on data instead of gut).

And some people on here believe that Tomlin does call the D. And negotiate contacts with assistant coaches. And do scouting (but only of players that don't work out). Really...if anything goes wrong, it's all Tomlin. And good stuff is probably still the ghost of Cowher.

I think the first part of your comment makes my point. Tomlin will not be calling offensive or defensive plays (never has). Now if the Steeler were to hire someone behind the curtain to do the thinking and provide Tomlin with all the information needed to decide whether to challenge a play, or call a timeout, our HC is then basically a messenger during games. So what WOULD he be doing?

Northern_Blitz
01-16-2019, 05:35 PM
I think the first part of your comment makes my point. Tomlin will not be calling offensive or defensive plays (never has). Now if the Steeler were to hire someone behind the curtain to do the thinking and provide Tomlin with all the information needed to decide whether to challenge a play, or call a timeout, our HC is then basically a messenger during games. So what WOULD he be doing?

The same thing coach do for replays and line up decisions and everything else.

Get info from the team they put together and make critical decisions

That's what good leaders are supposed to do IMO

RuthlessBurgher
01-16-2019, 05:44 PM
What does Andy Saucier do for the Pens? Does his employment somehow negate what Mike Sullivan does as head coach?

Northern_Blitz
01-16-2019, 05:52 PM
What does Andy Saucier do for the Pens? Does his employment somehow negate what Mike Sullivan does as head coach?

And doesn't BB have some kind of mysterious Rain Man guy that analyzes film to predict tendencies and stuff?

RuthlessBurgher
01-16-2019, 08:56 PM
And doesn't BB have some kind of mysterious Rain Man guy that analyzes film to predict tendencies and stuff?

"I'll pay anyone here $10,000 if they can tell me what Ernie Adams does."

- Art Modell (back when Belichick was the Browns head coach)

NorthCoast
01-16-2019, 09:10 PM

Wait.

You're not up on the latest info. It seems Tomlin has been calling all the shots on defense, and for quite some time.

Northern_Blitz
01-17-2019, 06:07 AM
Wait.

You're not up on the latest info. It seems Tomlin has been calling all the shots on defense, and for quite some time.

He doesn't even need the play sheet to call plays (like every other coach that calls plays on one side of the ball). Because he's badass!

RuthlessBurgher
01-17-2019, 11:44 AM
Steelers want to offer Mike Tomlin some help with challenges and clock

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 17, 2019, 6:14 AM EST

Pretty soon, clock management and challenge assistants might be as common as any other position coach.

With Atlanta hiring one for Dan Quinn this offseason, and Panthers owner David Tepper wanting one for Ron Rivera, Steelers owner Art Rooney II said he’s looking at ways to offer coach Mike Tomlin a hand on game day.

“I agree that having someone with that responsibility is important,” Rooney said, via Joe Rutter of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “Mike and I have talked about that. I’m not sure that’s the only thing that person needs to do. It would have to be somebody who is on staff that has a role to fill there.

“Whether we have the right people, we’re looking at that. It’s fair game for discussion.”

Tomlin hasn’t won a replay challenge the last two seasons (0-for-9). His clock management and use of timeouts have also been questioned.

No matter which coach, the addition of technology and the ability to analyze the game allows more data than one person can process in a game-time situation. Especially when that coach has plenty of other things to worry about, such as his best player conducting a mutiny.

It won’t be long before these kind of hirings are no longer unique.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/17/steelers-want-to-offer-mike-tomlin-some-help-with-challenges-and-clock/

steelz09
01-17-2019, 09:56 PM
Wow... It took long enough. A little late.

Buzz
01-17-2019, 10:35 PM
Could be in time for next season, though.

I really hope they make this move.

Disco1981
01-17-2019, 11:31 PM
Steelers want to offer Mike Tomlin some help with challenges and clock

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 17, 2019, 6:14 AM EST

Pretty soon, clock management and challenge assistants might be as common as any other position coach.

With Atlanta hiring one for Dan Quinn this offseason, and Panthers owner David Tepper wanting one for Ron Rivera, Steelers owner Art Rooney II said he’s looking at ways to offer coach Mike Tomlin a hand on game day.

“I agree that having someone with that responsibility is important,” Rooney said, via Joe Rutter of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “Mike and I have talked about that. I’m not sure that’s the only thing that person needs to do. It would have to be somebody who is on staff that has a role to fill there.

“Whether we have the right people, we’re looking at that. It’s fair game for discussion.”

Tomlin hasn’t won a replay challenge the last two seasons (0-for-9). His clock management and use of timeouts have also been questioned.

No matter which coach, the addition of technology and the ability to analyze the game allows more data than one person can process in a game-time situation. Especially when that coach has plenty of other things to worry about, such as his best player conducting a mutiny.

It won’t be long before these kind of hirings are no longer unique.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/17/steelers-want-to-offer-mike-tomlin-some-help-with-challenges-and-clock/

I think that is Rooneys polite way of saying..." Mike you suck at it "

RuthlessBurgher
01-18-2019, 03:02 PM
Report: Alabama hires Falcons new game-management coach

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 18, 2019, 1:05 PM EST

What will you remember most about the Kyle Flood Era in Atlanta?

According to Ian Fitzsimmons of ESPN Radio, the University of Alabama has hired Flood away from the Falcons to coach the offensive line.

Flood, a former head coach at Rutgers, was hired eight days ago by the Falcons to help coach Dan Quinn with clock management and replays.

That position is part of a growing trend in the NFL, and the Falcons are going to have to dip back into the market to find one.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/18/report-alabama-hires-falcons-new-game-management-coach/

Steel Maniac
01-18-2019, 03:16 PM
I guess the clock management position isn’t very prestigious and an upgrade to O-line coach is something anyone in that position would jump at.

Northern_Blitz
01-20-2019, 07:02 PM
That last Saints drive was evidence that Tomlin isn't the only one that struggles with clock management

NorthCoast
01-20-2019, 07:32 PM
I guess the clock management position isn’t very prestigious and an upgrade to O-line coach is something anyone in that position would jump at.If your dream job is to work with players and coaches, this job would be one to run away from. I think a team would be better off finding an accountant or stats guru that maybe has a passion for the game.

Steel Maniac
01-20-2019, 07:56 PM
If your dream job is to work with players and coaches, this job would be one to run away from. I think a team would be better off finding an accountant or stats guru that maybe has a passion for the game.

I agree. I nominate you north. I trust you to give it to Tomlin straight.

NorthCoast
01-20-2019, 08:39 PM
I agree. I nominate you north. I trust you to give it to Tomlin straight.Nah Maniac.. would be too much stress at this point in my life.

Steel Maniac
01-20-2019, 08:42 PM
Hahahaha.. just do it for a season. Tomlin will be gone by then.

Ghost
01-20-2019, 10:15 PM
The Pats challenge of the KC pass completion with about 8 minutes to go is a great example of why you cant “use your gut”. You need help.

I don't even blame Tomlin anymore. This is on Art Rooney for not insisting on him getting eyes in the booth.