https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/fa...lay-assistant/

C'mon, Tomlin, you need to do the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

nah, his gut is never wrong

oh wait

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

There's gotta be a trusted assistant who picks his nose in the booth who can make those calls ....
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    ... by the Falcons.

Buzz......dont tease us like that

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    nah, his gut is never wrong

oh wait
    Wow, what concept. Don't expect the fraud of the spineless Rooney's to make this common sense hire.

We have a head coach that makes decisions on his "gut" instead of his brain.

Idiocracy is upon us.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    ... by the Falcons.

can we trade AB for him ?
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Legend

User Info Menu

Panthers looking at adding game-management help

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 16, 2019, 7:44 AM EST

Panthers owner David Tepper likes coach Ron Rivera and wanted to bring him back.

But he wants to offer him some help as well.

During an interview with a small group of reporters Tuesday, Tepper said there are ways Rivera can improve things on the field, and they might adjust the coaching staff to reflect that.

“I think there’s some sort of evolution that should be happening here,” Tepper said. “I’ve talked about analytics before; we’ve talked internally about a game management person of some sort — a coach; things like that. You want to do everything you can to give you every edge you can on that field.”

For all the things he’s good at, clock management is a thing that gets away from Rivera at times. Tepper alluded to such times in his in-house video earlier this week.

“I’m very much focused on not giving anything, anything we can for free,” he said. “I don’t want to see 10 seconds go away, I don’t want to see 5 seconds go away that we should save.”

If they handle this issue with a specific personnel addition, they won’t be the first team to hire such help, or even the first in their division. Falcons coach Dan Quinn has designated an assistant coach to help with clock management, replay challenges and timeouts.

Like Rivera, Quinn is taking over defensive play-calling this year, and as a head coach adds things to his plate something needs to come off. And recognizing that Rivera needs some help is a good first step. The Panthers were notoriously stingy with assistant coaching salaries under previous ownership, and if Tepper is willing to pay for some extra help, it may offer a significant return on the field.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/16/panthers-looking-at-adding-game-management-help/
    "The Terrible Towel is poised to strike...and boy, did he strike!" -Myron Cope

Backup

User Info Menu

I get teams adding a role like this in situations where their HC is calling the defensive or offensive plays. But Tomlin is not. So if we take clock management off his plate, what is left on it?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick'sTeam View Post
    I get teams adding a role like this in situations where their HC is calling the defensive or offensive plays. But Tomlin is not. So if we take clock management off his plate, what is left on it?
    In my opinion, the clock management person wouldn't be making the calls. They'd be more like an analytics expert that can feed Tomlin something like the change in win percentage between calling and not calling timeouts in specific circumstances. The HC would still make the final decision (based on data instead of gut).

And some people on here believe that Tomlin does call the D. And negotiate contacts with assistant coaches. And do scouting (but only of players that don't work out). Really...if anything goes wrong, it's all Tomlin. And good stuff is probably still the ghost of Cowher.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    In my opinion, the clock management person wouldn't be making the calls. They'd be more like an analytics expert that can feed Tomlin something like the change in win percentage between calling and not calling timeouts in specific circumstances. The HC would still make the final decision (based on data instead of gut).

And some people on here believe that Tomlin does call the D. And negotiate contacts with assistant coaches. And do scouting (but only of players that don't work out). Really...if anything goes wrong, it's all Tomlin. And good stuff is probably still the ghost of Cowher.
    I think the first part of your comment makes my point. Tomlin will not be calling offensive or defensive plays (never has). Now if the Steeler were to hire someone behind the curtain to do the thinking and provide Tomlin with all the information needed to decide whether to challenge a play, or call a timeout, our HC is then basically a messenger during games. So what WOULD he be doing?