PDA

View Full Version : 2018 draft shocker scenario

D Rock
04-21-2018, 03:08 PM
What if....

The Browns drafted 2 QBs with picks #1 and #4???

The Redskins took RG3 and Cousins, albeit several rounds apart - but it worked out for them in the way most thought it would not.

The Browns should shock the world and take 2 QBs, pit them against each other for healthy competition, and see who comes out on top. The other one can then be traded away for a high draft pick in return next year. What can it hurt - they suck at developing QBs, so might as well double their odds of finding a needle in a haystack who can succeed there.

Sager
04-21-2018, 03:26 PM
And in Browns fashion both of them will bust

Steel Maniac
04-21-2018, 04:42 PM
And in Browns fashion both of them will bust

I would hope so. :smile:

SteelCrazy
04-21-2018, 10:54 PM
If the Browns want to win they better do it

feltdizz
04-22-2018, 08:22 AM
I’ve heard this scenario a while back on local sports radio. While I wouldn’t do it I could see it working in their favor in regards to finally getting a franchise QB.

I could also see them trading a QB who ends up being a HOFer while their guy turns into Ryan Leaf in his second year.

Buzz
04-22-2018, 04:26 PM
Wouldn't be at all surprised to see them trade out of one of those picks. As recently as last week, there were reportedly indications that they didn't know which of the top four quarterbacks they liked the best. If that's really the case, why not trade pick #1 for two or three fairly high picks, and use pick #4 to take one of the QBs remaining on the board at that point?

Mick'sTeam
04-24-2018, 09:39 AM
I would love for them to do this. While it may help them land a franchise QB it basically guarantees they'll waste one of the picks. Sure they could trade one for a draft pick haul, but if one doesn't pan out, they may not get the return they hoped for.

The Man of Steel
04-24-2018, 10:12 AM
I really want the Browns to take Baker Mayfield at #1 just because he would fit perfectly into their traditional QB bust role.

Slapstick
04-24-2018, 10:33 AM
Alex Kozora thinks the Browns might draft Darnold at #1 and then draft Mason Rudolph at the top of round 2...

Oviedo
04-24-2018, 10:41 AM
Alex Kozora thinks the Browns might draft Darnold at #1 and then draft Mason Rudolph at the top of round 2...

Sorry. I'm not buying it. Dorsey is not a continuation of the "amateur hour" the Browns have been rolling with.

I actually think after this draft the Browns will be a tough opponent. I'll go on record now predicting they finish second to us in the AFC North in 2018. Both the Bumgals and Ravens are in decline

Slapstick
04-24-2018, 11:18 AM
Sorry. I'm not buying it. Dorsey is not a continuation of the "amateur hour" the Browns have been rolling with.

I actually think after this draft the Browns will be a tough opponent. I'll go on record now predicting they finish second to us in the AFC North in 2018. Both the Bumgals and Ravens are in decline

I don’t think Kozora’s idea is bad...it’s kind of like what the Redskins did when they drafted RG III and Cousins....the Browns also have an additional top 5 pick as well as three second round picks...they could expend the resources on QB and still pick several good players to help their team...

pfelix73
04-24-2018, 11:33 AM
I think they are stupid if they don't pick Barkley at #1. He is the best RB I've seen in a very long time. They still would have a QB option at #4.
OR
At the very least, try and get the Giants to bite and work a trade with the Giants for Barkley.

Oviedo
04-24-2018, 11:54 AM
I think they are stupid if they don't pick Barkley at #1. He is the best RB I've seen in a very long time. They still would have a QB option at #4.
OR
At the very least, try and get the Giants to bite and work a trade with the Giants for Barkley.

Yea, but there is the recent curse of Penn State RBs who don't perform in the pros. Kijana Carter anyone????

Who was the last PSU RB to be really successful in the nFL??????-

SteelBucks
04-24-2018, 12:17 PM
Yea, but there is the recent curse of Penn State RBs who don't perform in the pros. Kijana Carter anyone????

Curt Warner? Had a nice career. AFC offensive player of the year twice. Yes it was back in the 80’s so it’s been awhile.

Slapstick
04-24-2018, 12:27 PM
Don't forget Curtis Enis!!

Wait...yeah...forget him...

feltdizz
04-24-2018, 12:28 PM

Larry Johnson had a few years

Barkley is a beast but we have seen this before. The college RB who looks unstoppable but can't replicate it in the pros.

Wisconsin is notorious for this too.

Slapstick
04-24-2018, 12:33 PM
Larry Johnson had a few years

Barkley is a beast but we have seen this before. The college RB who looks unstoppable but can't replicate it in the pros.

Wisconsin is notorious for this too.

Larry Johnson was one of the cases that demonstrated the 370 carry threshold...

If an RB carries the ball more than that magic number in a season, the next season tends to be well below that RBs demonstrated performance level...sometimes, it never approaches that level again...

feltdizz
04-24-2018, 02:23 PM
Larry Johnson was one of the cases that demonstrated the 370 carry threshold...

If an RB carries the ball more than that magic number in a season, the next season tends to be well below that RBs demonstrated performance level...sometimes, it never approaches that level again...

that's foolish...

Larry Johsnon... is Larry Johnson.

LJ has nothing to do with Bell's production these next few years.

Bell has only one season with over 300 carries (321)... so he is fine. lol

Slapstick
04-24-2018, 02:44 PM
that's foolish...

Larry Johsnon... is Larry Johnson.

LJ has nothing to do with Bell's production these next few years.

Bell has only one season with over 300 carries (321)... so he is fine. lol

It isn’t foolish, because it wasn’t just Larry Johnson...not an isolated incident at all...look it up!

At any rate, I never mentioned Bell...

feltdizz
04-24-2018, 02:45 PM
It isn’t foolish, because it wasn’t just Larry Johnson...not an isolated incident at all...look it up!

At any rate, I never mentioned Bell...

well i did, because why else would you throw that out there?

don't hide your hand, I saw that rock.

Slapstick
04-24-2018, 04:00 PM
well i did, because why else would you throw that out there?

don't hide your hand, I saw that rock.

What rock? Has squiddy got you paranoid now? :lol::lol::lol:

I already knew that Bell never came close to 370...LJ blew past that...

I was saying more along the lines of perhaps he could have been an all time great...

RuthlessBurgher
04-25-2018, 02:47 PM
Here is my 2018 draft non-shocker scenario for the other orange-clad team from Ohio within our division.

I predict that they use a day two pick to select LSU DE Arden Key this Friday.

I predict that they use a day three pick to select Florida WR Antonio Callaway this Saturday.

I predict that they claim LB Reuben Foster off waivers after the draft if SF drafts Roquan Smith or Tremaine Edmunds in the top 10 and cuts Foster loose.

Steel Maniac
04-25-2018, 05:39 PM
I think the key for us is if San Fran passes on drafting a linebacker. Doesn't look likely but I can dream. If Nelson slipped to them, then we'd have a shot.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-25-2018, 07:55 PM
Draft Shocker...Getting Evans or LVE without moving up.

Hope for a QB frenzy..5 hopefully 6...One will make it. More than likely it will be LVE.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-25-2018, 08:43 PM
This Mayock draft on NFL Network going well for Steelers. Up to 22 & Evans & LVE still there.

EVANS 25 TN

MAYOCK has Steelers taking Michel at 28....Guice to Eagles at 32. No LVE Round 1. 5 QBS.

Steel Maniac
04-25-2018, 11:45 PM
This Mayock draft on NFL Network going well for Steelers. Up to 22 & Evans & LVE still there.

EVANS 25 TN

MAYOCK has Steelers taking Michel at 28....Guice to Eagles at 32. No LVE Round 1. 5 QBS.

There’s a lot of debate about who the best runningback is after Barkley.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-26-2018, 08:57 AM
Mayock usual has good pulse. He commented on the LVE medical. Past on him in mock & left him out of first round.

I would rather have Evans but looks like we need to jump over Titans if he is there & that would cost a 3rd & something back. Hmmm....Who moves with Buffalo?

So here's what I'm thinking. If Steelers don't move...They may have LVE sitting there. Gazette boys say medical non issue for Steelers. Why? Hmmm...He came for visit & Bradley cleared him. That makes sense....But where are the Steelers comfortable taking him? Bouchette thinks #28. 11 hours!!!!!

feltdizz
04-26-2018, 08:57 AM
Someone leaked a bone on bone knee injury with Sony Michel. It’s messed up Imif it’s not true. He may slide to the second round.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-26-2018, 09:03 AM
There’s a lot of debate about who the best runningback is after Barkley.

Yeah..I like Guice better. Mayock has him going 4 picks later to Eagles so grade close. Guice turns 21 June & Michel is 23 now. I'm thinking Steelers would have Guice higher on age...Tape Even IMO.

feltdizz
04-26-2018, 09:58 AM
Yeah..I like Guice better. Mayock has him going 4 picks later to Eagles so grade close. Guice turns 21 June & Michel is 23 now. I'm thinking Steelers would have Guice higher on age...Tape Even IMO.

It’s not like this is coming out of nowhere. Mike Mayock, who isn’t a total moron, has also acknowledged there are concerns about Michel’s knee (https://twitter.com/art_stapleton/status/987382509443928064) that could drop him into the second round. Despite this, Mayock has Michel as his No. 32 overall prospect. He also projected Michel to the Steelers (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/pittsburgh-steelers) at No. 28 in his only 2018 NFL Mock Draft (https://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft-projections).
Considering the timing of this news — the night before the NFL Draft — you have to question motives in play here. It’s quite possible some team that actually likes Michel is trying to leak out bad stuff about him so that he falls to their pick. That’s pretty messed up to screw with a young man’s life like that, but I wouldn’t put it past NFL people.

Slapstick
04-26-2018, 10:16 AM

I also like Guice better...I prefer his running style as a complement to our passing offense...