PDA

View Full Version : What About Tight Ends?

Slapstick
02-14-2018, 04:28 PM
Given that we are paying fabulous sums of money to Antonio Brown, just drafted JuJu last year, are in the process of negotiating with Bell, and just gave Rosie Nix a significant raise,
what will happen with the TEs?

If Nix gets more targets in the passing game, chances are they aren't going to be taken away from AB, Bell, or JuJu...

Vance McDonald will carry a $4.3 million cap hit next season, $3.7 of it fully guaranteed if he's on the roster by April 1st (no dead money if he's cut prior to that)...he caught a total of 14 passes in the regular season (only 10 games), but nearly equaled that in the playoff game...is he fools' gold?

Will Fichtner continue Haley's obsession with multiple TE sets?

Whatever happens will be interesting...

feltdizz
02-14-2018, 04:33 PM
I think we keep both. Not sure Vance is worth that amount. He underwhelmed but showed up late.

While im still. Jesse James fan I’m kinda mad at him over that Pats TD. Just hold onto the damn ball.

Northern_Blitz
02-14-2018, 06:29 PM
I think we keep both. Not sure Vance is worth that amount. He underwhelmed but showed up late.

While im still. Jesse James fan I’m kinda mad at him over that Pats TD. Just hold onto the damn ball.

I don't blame James for dropping the ball. He is what he is. A league average guy who can sometimes make a play, but shouldn't be depended on. I think that Vance is better, but he's also a replaceable guy...Steelers depot seemed to have some data that showed that the running game (and O in general) was much better with Vance in the game.

Either way, you can't have stars at every position and our TE situation should be good enough.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-14-2018, 07:47 PM

Either way, you can't have stars at every position and our TE situation should be good enough.

Words of wisdom!

SidSmythe
02-14-2018, 07:58 PM
If Vance McDonald's durability wasn't in question keeping him would be a no brainer.
However it's not like the Steelers have a ton of options here.

Slapstick
02-14-2018, 08:38 PM
If it is blocking that the Steelers are looking for, Jake McGee looked good last year...

If we need a guy to catch 14 passes per season at the TE position, Xavier Grimble could do that...

steeler_george
02-15-2018, 04:51 AM
Good question, I always love great TE, been pushing for us to draft one high since Heath retired.

I am not even sure if McDonal is that much of an upgrade to JJ, who I think is getting better with more experience. There has to be a reason why SF gave up on him for a draft pick.

I don't think McDonald worth that 4 mill, that money be invested in a FA ILB and we run with JJ, XG and a cheaper FA TE, or high draft pick, or future trade.

If we cover depth in FA for ILB, could TE be at play as BPA round 1or 2.

Steelerphile
02-15-2018, 08:19 AM
$4 million doesn't sound like that much for McDonald. He has good athletic capabilities. He runs well. He averages 13 yards a reception for his career, which is what many good WRs average. He is a pretty good blocker; so, I think he is a keeper. Only questions I see are his sometimes unreliable hands and durability. If he can stay healthy, he can be a weapon, and he was getting some chemistry with Roethlisberger late last season.

McDonald averages 13.5 yards a reception. James averages 8.5 yards a reception, big difference.

Slapstick
02-15-2018, 09:50 AM
James played in 16 games and caught 43 passes...

McDonald played in 10 games and caught 14 passes...

Big difference...in the NFL availability trumps ability...

feltdizz
02-15-2018, 10:39 AM

damn... maybe it's when he caught them but it felt like Vance had more of a presence in the passing game.

he isn't worth it IMO.

Slapstick
02-15-2018, 11:34 AM
damn... maybe it's when he caught them but it felt like Vance had more of a presence in the passing game.

he isn't worth it IMO.

In the playoff game, McDonald caught 10 passes...

That may be fresh in your mind...

Steelerphile
02-15-2018, 12:14 PM

McDonald has some issues staying healthy this year. Are you suggesting this will be an ongoing issue? I am not certain that will be true.
That is why I said if healthy, but there is a clear difference between McDonald's athleticism and James. I actually like James for his reliability, but McDonald has more potential as a weapon.

McDonald is a 5 year veteran with 78 career receptions and 1,054 receiving yards so I think he has been healthy for the most part in his career.

Slapstick
02-15-2018, 12:35 PM
McDonald has some issues staying healthy this year. Are you suggesting this will be an ongoing issue? I am not certain that will be true.
That is why I said if healthy, but there is a clear difference between McDonald's athleticism and James. I actually like James for his reliability, but McDonald has more potential as a weapon.

McDonald is a 5 year veteran with 78 career receptions and 1,054 receiving yards so I think he has been healthy for the most part in his career.

McDonald has an injury history before arriving in Pittsburgh...in fact, the contract we picked up from the 49ers has an escalator that pays McDonald a bonus if he is active for 11 or more games...he did not meet that criteria last season...

williar
02-15-2018, 12:51 PM
I'm comfortable with what we have a tight end. No, their not superstars but sufficient enough especially when McDonald is healthy. I knew it was just a matter of time before someone brought up TE. Can we just cut out the "chatter" now and focus on defense, please... Other than a backup RB to go into rotation, for whatever reason, I don't believe Connor is going to stay healthy. I'm tired of beating around the bush.

Steel Maniac
02-15-2018, 12:55 PM
Willer, I hear you about Connor but I'm not ready to give up on him because of injury. Bell was injured his first year too but we stayed with him because of what we thought we saw in him. And it panned out.

I think Connor has potential too to be a good back up to Bell. Or maybe more. But I'm for depth also so as long as they don't use a top 3 draft pick on the RB position then I'm cool with it. Because like you, I too want to focus on defense.

feltdizz
02-15-2018, 12:56 PM

Definitely. Still felt like he had more receptions during the regular season.

and I can’t get too thrilled about the playooff game because we were in desperation mode after the first quarter and slinging it all over the field. It was a lot of underneath dump offs.

williar
02-15-2018, 01:24 PM
I'm sorry but I believe the Steelers are going to need to do a little wheeling and dealing to find a few defensive studs in this draft. Enough with all of this stand pat and see who falls to you. The focus should be to identify three defensive studs that fit your defensive scheme and get them! By any means necessary! I'm still mad we let Carl Lawson go to the bengals in the 4th round. That's another Geno Atkins like coup...

feltdizz
02-15-2018, 01:31 PM
I'm sorry but I believe the Steelers are going to need to do a little wheeling and dealing to find a few defensive studs in this draft. Enough with all of this stand pat and see who falls to you. The focus should be to identify three defensive studs that fit your defensive scheme and get them! By any means necessary! I'm still mad we let Carl Lawson go to the bengals in the 4th round. That's another Geno Atkins like coup...

I hope there is a run on QB's in the first round

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-15-2018, 01:51 PM
The question is not McDonald vs. JJ. If it was then the answer IMO is an easy one in McDonald. The question is McDonald $4.3M vs. JJ $1.9M. Both players are pretty much free to cut so if you want to keep Mcdonald it means that money continues to go into the O at the expense of the D. Weigh the $2.4M difference against say picking up a $6M FA SS vs. a $3.6M FA SS. One might be a bona fide NFL starter while the other is a solid backup/fringe starter. A lot more has to go into the decision than who do you like at TE. Especially if a ton of dough is dropped on Bell.

papillon
02-15-2018, 02:15 PM
If McDonald's durability is in question, let him go prior to 4/1, teach Nix the position for the jumbo packages and roll with JJ and whoever his backup is. You could probably use Nix all year as a blocker and when you need that crucial 4th and 1 or 2-point conversion, have a play in your back pocket where Nix decoys as the blocker he's been all year and runs a route.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the TE position, considering how the Steelers use them even when heath was playing.

Pappy

Northern_Blitz
02-16-2018, 12:37 PM
I hope there is a run on QB's in the first round

This. Fingers and toes crossed for a great ILB / DB to fall to us because desperate teams overdraft QBs.

The question is not McDonald vs. JJ. If it was then the answer IMO is an easy one in McDonald. The question is McDonald $4.3M vs. JJ $1.9M. Both players are pretty much free to cut so if you want to keep Mcdonald it means that money continues to go into the O at the expense of the D. Weigh the $2.4M difference against say picking up a $6M FA SS vs. a $3.6M FA SS. One might be a bona fide NFL starter while the other is a solid backup/fringe starter. A lot more has to go into the decision than who do you like at TE. Especially if a ton of dough is dropped on Bell.

This makes a lot of sense to me. If we keep Bell, then I think anyone we put out at TE will do OK with the limited action they will see. I think that saving money against the cap will be important this year because I think we need to pick up a starter at S or ILB through UFA.

Ernie
02-18-2018, 07:50 AM

he isn't worth it IMO.

The sad reality is...these are the types of discussions that take place when you have "Tops in the league" money tied up at several postions (WR, RBx2$$, Center, etc). A team should never put themselves in a situation where they can't afford a few million for a quality starter (because of the excessive bloated contracts). You are right, McDonald does have a presence in the passing game. We can't replace him in the draft this year (unless we burn a high pick on one). IMO you absolutely keep him around for what we are on the hook for.

Ernie
02-18-2018, 07:52 AM

Definitely worth what we are on the hook for next year. Give him a full off season and training camp in the black and gold and see what happens.

Slapstick
02-18-2018, 01:39 PM
It isn’t that McDonald can’t play. It’s that he can’t stay healthy...he’s been unavailable for 11 out of the past 32 games...

If he were on a rookie contract, it would be a no brainer...

Ernie
02-18-2018, 02:26 PM
It isn’t that McDonald can’t play. It’s that he can’t stay healthy...he’s been unavailable for 11 out of the past 32 games...

If he were on a rookie contract, it would be a no brainer...

It would be an unconditional "No brainer" if we weren't getting ready to throw a 15 million dollar a year offer at a RB who has comparable injury record (+ substance abuse).

Slapstick
02-18-2018, 02:53 PM
Perhaps, but there was a huge difference in production between the two last season...

Disco1981
02-18-2018, 04:21 PM
There's a reason the Steelers have been trying to replace James for the last 2 years, He sucks..PFF rated him " the worst " starting blocking TE in the NFL, the worst..He can barely shield people...You could maybe overlook this if he was a gifted, deep threat, receiving TE..But all he can do on the receiving end is catch the ball, and fall down..Because he is slow as molasses.Weak ank slow is not the way the Steelers like their TE's...AND,at the end of the year, he even started to have the case of the dropsees...Why do most people on here love him so much again?

Ernie
02-18-2018, 04:32 PM
There's a reason the Steelers have been trying to replace James for the last 2 years, He sucks..PFF rated him " the worst " starting blocking TE in the NFL, the worst..He can barely shield people...You could maybe overlook this if he was a gifted, deep threat, receiving TE..But all he can do on the receiving end is catch the ball, and fall down..Because he is slow as molasses.Weak ank slow is not the way the Steelers like their TE's...AND,at the end of the year, he even started to have the case of the dropsees...Why do most people on here love him so much again?

Sounds like you are making the case to keep McDonald (which I agree with).

feltdizz
02-18-2018, 10:10 PM
The sad reality is...these are the types of discussions that take place when you have "Tops in the league" money tied up at several postions (WR, RBx2$$, Center, etc). A team should never put themselves in a situation where they can't afford a few million for a quality starter (because of the excessive bloated contracts). You are right, McDonald does have a presence in the passing game. We can't replace him in the draft this year (unless we burn a high pick on one). IMO you absolutely keep him around for what we are on the hook for.

based on his 14 catches in the regular season we can definitely replace him. It comes down to his blocking because he wasn’t that much of a threat.

pittpete
02-18-2018, 10:44 PM
McDonald at a 4 million dollar cap hit is a luxury we can't afford.

feltdizz
02-19-2018, 11:40 AM
McDonald at a 4 million dollar cap hit is a luxury we can't afford.

I think we can afford 4 million dollars, the problem is his health. Can we afford 4 mill if he misses another 5 or 6 games or however he many he missed last year?

honestly, I think you are right. looking at his stats there is nothing that stands out but maybe we are paying for his blocking and not his hands.

Buzz
02-19-2018, 03:37 PM
McDonald is the best TE on the roster. Easily the best blocking TE. The problem is his health. Ask him to rework his contract into a 3-year deal that pays about 1.5M the first year, with incentives. Make it cap-friendly so it's easy to get out of if he doesn't pan out. If he doesn't like that offer, let him hit the road.

phillyesq
02-19-2018, 05:39 PM
The Steelers official team account on twitter just posted the following:

"The trade for Vance McDonald brought the team a player they believe can be a No. 1 tight end."

Based on that, I'd suspect that he is not going anywhere and will return next year.

Captain Lemming
02-20-2018, 10:12 PM
Weak and slow is not the way the Steelers like their TE's...

We traditionally like strong and slow. :)

Chadman
02-22-2018, 09:05 PM
I’d say Buzz just got it right- rework the contract to suit the Steelers needs & he’s a keeper. If he’s costing $4m a year, send him on his way. My brother is a SF supporter & he laughed when the Steelers traded for him- called him the most frustrating 49er on the roster- dropped catches, concussions.

There is talent. And JJ & Gimble are good options behind him to take a ‘risk’ at keeping him about- but it can’t be at $4m I wouldn’t think.

If he’s sent packing, you take an athletic type TE somewhere in the first 3 rounds & run with it.

Ernie
02-23-2018, 06:28 AM
The Steelers official team account on twitter just posted the following:

"The trade for Vance McDonald brought the team a player they believe can be a No. 1 tight end."

Based on that, I'd suspect that he is not going anywhere and will return next year.

I am glad they are looking to keep him. He can do it all...and do it all well.. Just need him to stay healthy, but of course that same can be said about anyone on the roster.