Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What About Tight Ends?

Legend

User Info Menu

What About Tight Ends?

Given that we are paying fabulous sums of money to Antonio Brown, just drafted JuJu last year, are in the process of negotiating with Bell, and just gave Rosie Nix a significant raise,
    what will happen with the TEs?

If Nix gets more targets in the passing game, chances are they aren't going to be taken away from AB, Bell, or JuJu...

Vance McDonald will carry a $4.3 million cap hit next season, $3.7 of it fully guaranteed if he's on the roster by April 1st (no dead money if he's cut prior to that)...he caught a total of 14 passes in the regular season (only 10 games), but nearly equaled that in the playoff game...is he fools' gold?

Will Fichtner continue Haley's obsession with multiple TE sets?

Whatever happens will be interesting...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think we keep both. Not sure Vance is worth that amount. He underwhelmed but showed up late.

While im still. Jesse James fan I’m kinda mad at him over that Pats TD. Just hold onto the damn ball.
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I think we keep both. Not sure Vance is worth that amount. He underwhelmed but showed up late.

While im still. Jesse James fan I’m kinda mad at him over that Pats TD. Just hold onto the damn ball.
    I don't blame James for dropping the ball. He is what he is. A league average guy who can sometimes make a play, but shouldn't be depended on. I think that Vance is better, but he's also a replaceable guy...Steelers depot seemed to have some data that showed that the running game (and O in general) was much better with Vance in the game.

Either way, you can't have stars at every position and our TE situation should be good enough.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post

Either way, you can't have stars at every position
    and our TE situation should be good enough.
    Words of wisdom!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If Vance McDonald's durability wasn't in question keeping him would be a no brainer.
    However it's not like the Steelers have a ton of options here.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

If it is blocking that the Steelers are looking for, Jake McGee looked good last year...

If we need a guy to catch 14 passes per season at the TE position, Xavier Grimble could do that...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+# up and wear it.

Starter

User Info Menu

Good question, I always love great TE, been pushing for us to draft one high since Heath retired.

I am not even sure if McDonal is that much of an upgrade to JJ, who I think is getting better with more experience. There has to be a reason why SF gave up on him for a draft pick.

I don't think McDonald worth that 4 mill, that money be invested in a FA ILB and we run with JJ, XG and a cheaper FA TE, or high draft pick, or future trade.

If we cover depth in FA for ILB, could TE be at play as BPA round 1or 2.
    Last edited by steeler_george; 02-15-2018 at 05:17 AM.

Starter

User Info Menu

$4 million doesn't sound like that much for McDonald. He has good athletic capabilities. He runs well. He averages 13 yards a reception for his career, which is what many good WRs average. He is a pretty good blocker; so, I think he is a keeper. Only questions I see are his sometimes unreliable hands and durability. If he can stay healthy, he can be a weapon, and he was getting some chemistry with Roethlisberger late last season.

McDonald averages 13.5 yards a reception. James averages 8.5 yards a reception, big difference.
    Last edited by Steelerphile; 02-15-2018 at 09:08 AM. Reason: ADD to message

Legend

User Info Menu

James played in 16 games and caught 43 passes...

McDonald played in 10 games and caught 14 passes...

Big difference...in the NFL availability trumps ability...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    James played in 16 games and caught 43 passes...

McDonald played in 10 games and caught 14 passes...

Big difference...in the NFL availability trumps ability...
    damn... maybe it's when he caught them but it felt like Vance had more of a presence in the passing game.

he isn't worth it IMO.
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB