PDA

View Full Version : This may be the greatest week of my life!!!

Starlifter
05-03-2014, 07:46 AM
Guys (and Steelgal!), I've been hesitating to even post this - because it's soooo AWESOME it kinda feels like I'm bragging and being a showoff. Please don't take it that way. I enjoy being a part of this board and simply want to share.

As many know, I'm a season ticket holder. The Steelers have selected me as their fan representative for this year draft!!!!

My wife and I will be flying to new york on Wednesday. On, Thurs/Fri I will be with the team at Radio City working the draft, smoozing with the players, taking selfies with goodell and getting a perspective of the NFL that's once in a lifetime. I'll be taking a bunch of pics, I'll post what I can during the week. The NFL locks down their PR pretty tight, so no promises about pics with me in the greenroom backstage - but if I could wear a go-pro on my head for 48 hours straight, I'll do it!!

I love going to the games, I've been fortunate to go to the superbowls - and this is something that will be spectacular. I truly wish I could share this with everyone, and maybe that's why I'm even saying something. I'll try to give some play by play throughout the week.

As for now - I gotta really start taking my mock more seriously. If I get to announce a pick - I don't care what name they give me, if he's available I'm going with johnny football!!.........:stirpot (just kidding, no heart attacks please).

On a serious note, there are holes all over this team that need to be addressed. If asked, my amateur opinion is and will continue to be - if there is no brainer game changing player available, that's the pick. having said that, if not - I still believe the best choice is an offensive lineman. A 5 man unit that can take over a game with running, clock control and QB protection is far more effective at helping cover up other weaknesses than any other position. grabbing the best WR doesn't help if Ben is running for his life. Grabbing the best CB doesn't help if we continually go 3 and out, can't run and have the defense on the field for 39 minutes a game.

anyway, stand by for updates. It's gonna be epic!!!

7 UP
05-03-2014, 08:25 AM
This sounds awesome. Congrats dude.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-03-2014, 08:38 AM
Sure, rub it in our faces....

Just kidding. Hope you have a fantastic time. I'm sure you will, and that you will represent Steeler Nation well.

steelsnis
05-03-2014, 08:42 AM
Awesome!!! Congrats!

8467thekraken
05-03-2014, 08:45 AM
WOW!!!

Talk about jealous. I entered a couple of contests to win a trip to NYC. Didn't happen. Oh well. Maybe next year.

It's pretty frickin' sweet that a poster from this site gets an honor like that. Look forward to updates/pics, etc.

And while it may be the greatest week of your life, it will be the longest until you get there. Heh heh.

Have a great time, Starlifter.

calmkiller
05-03-2014, 08:54 AM
Congrats!!!!!

Sugar
05-03-2014, 09:03 AM
That sounds like an amazing adventure! Congratulations! Don't spend so much time documenting it that you don't get to be in the moment.

Shawn
05-03-2014, 09:27 AM
You are my new best friend...buddy. Hey got an extra spot on that plane flight? :)

Flasteel
05-03-2014, 09:50 AM
How awesome is that?! Congratulations brother!! :tt2:tt2:Boobs

Gus
05-03-2014, 09:56 AM
That is awesome! Congrats!

Do me a favor. As you are about to announce the pick look straight at Goodell and say, "I really hope I get this right so that Emperor Goodell doesn't fine me." :D

Djfan
05-03-2014, 10:26 AM
Congrats!! That is epic! Have the most amazing time ever, and take a lot of pics. Give the cold shoulder to Goodell as often as you can, particularly at the podium. And, be sure to bring your Terrible Towel.

fordfixer
05-03-2014, 10:38 AM
Wow .......... I mean WOW!!!!!!!! Have a great time.

Iron City Inc.
05-03-2014, 10:40 AM
Congrats and I'm looking forward to your updates.

pfelix73
05-03-2014, 11:44 AM
That is awesome! Congratulations, and have fun! How will we know its you on the TV screen if you get to walk up and announce a pick? You should wear something with planetsteelers.com on it...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-03-2014, 12:16 PM
SHOW OFF!!!!

Only kidding, that is awesome. As you go up, do something to give us a sign...rub your nose or something. That will be a message to say "This is awesome, I'm having the time of my life, and Goodell is an ass."

Enjoy every second of it, it is a once in a lifetime experience!

Starlifter
05-03-2014, 12:55 PM
Thanks guys! I'll try to come up with something clever for the TV if it looks like I'll be on. I'll certainly have a Steelers Jersey. I've actually met Goodell a few times so maybe he will remember me. As for our draft picks - I'm pretty sure if anyone from the Steelers asks me my thoughts on a potential selection, my reply will likely be:

can he play center???

thetruthteller
05-03-2014, 01:02 PM
Sir, I am really happy for you. But, can I give you some advice ? I don't know if you have any children, and I am sure your wife is a great Ole Gal.....but, maybe you should say as your thread title....This is maybe the greatest SPORTS related week of my life ???

I mean you don't wanna potentially P-Off your wife, and suggest that this upcoming week is anywhere NEAR as Great as say the BIRTH of your Children...or the Day She said Yes to your marriage perpossal :)

But I understand your giddiness., And I am SURE you don't put this honor above marrying your wife, or your children sir. I am certainly envious of you, and wish you the greatest of time there. Maybe if you see " Spike Lee " there....you can smack him right upside his Ignorant " Jets fan " Head!! :Clap

Starlifter
05-03-2014, 01:07 PM
Sir, I am really happy for you. But, can I give you some advice ? I don't know if you have any children, and I am sure your wife is a great Ole Gal.....but, maybe you should say as your thread title....This is maybe the greatest SPORTS related week of my life ???

I mean you don't wanna potentially P-Off your wife, and suggest that this upcoming week is anywhere NEAR as Great as say the BIRTH of your Children...or the Day She said Yes to your marriage perpossal :)

But I understand your giddiness., And I am SURE you don't put this honor above marrying your wife, or your children sir. I am certainly envious of you, and wish you the greatest of time there. Maybe if you see " Spike Lee " there....you can smack him right upside his Ignorant " Jets fan " Head!! :Clap

Ha! my wife is just a big a fan as me, goes to all the games - and when the steelers called me and I told her she said: "that is going to be the greatest week of your life!"

so with regards to mrs. starlifter - I'm all set. Besides, in addition to the draft she's going shopping on 5th ave, we have great dinner reservations and tix to the late show.

as for the kids, they won't cross me - both of them want first dibs on the season tix when i'm gone........:D:D:D

thetruthteller
05-03-2014, 01:13 PM
Ha! my wife is just a big a fan as me, goes to all the games - and when the steelers called me and I told her she said: "that is going to be the greatest week of your life!"

so with regards to mrs. starlifter - I'm all set. Besides, in addition to the draft she's going shopping on 5th ave, we have great dinner reservations and tix to the late show.

as for the kids, they won't cross me - both of them want first dibs on the season tix when i'm gone........:D:D:D

Well then, I may be new here, but, I think I can safely say that you have the BEST Woman on the face of this earth!! :Boobs......My Congrats sir. Please, do us the Honor of sending us a few messages from down there...Okay ?

Thanks sir, and you, and your sweet Steeler wife have a Great time.....Be safe!

pittpete
05-03-2014, 10:45 PM
Congrats bro

hawaiiansteel
05-03-2014, 10:56 PM
SHOWOFF!!!

just kidding, that's fantastic. how was it that you were able to get chosen for that honor?

Rara
05-03-2014, 11:48 PM
Awesome, dude! Take it all in and enjoy the draft in person! I actually just started vacation from work for a week...so this is going to be the longest week ever...but atleast I can watch the whole draft!

Starlifter
05-04-2014, 12:10 AM
SHOWOFF!!!

just kidding, that's fantastic. how was it that you were able to get chosen for that honor?

I think it was a lottery for season ticket holders.

If so, first thing I've ever won!

SS Laser
05-04-2014, 01:22 AM
I think it was a lottery for season ticket holders.

If so, first thing I've ever won! WOW! Have a great and safe time! I would be so excited I would screw up the name of the pick I am sure. :tt1

Shoe
05-04-2014, 02:08 AM
That's so cool. We'll be looking for you!

Chadman
05-04-2014, 06:52 AM
If anyone asks, Dennard is pronounced "Traded to the 49ers for their 1st & 3rd round picks in 2014". Other than that, don't forget to pronounce Chadman as "Chadman". I think that's all I've got. Oh...have a great time. Want to be original? Say "G'day".

Shawn
05-04-2014, 07:25 AM
If anyone asks, Dennard is pronounced "Traded to the 49ers for their 1st & 3rd round picks in 2014". Other than that, don't forget to pronounce Chadman as "Chadman". I think that's all I've got. Oh...have a great time. Want to be original? Say "G'day". I thought it was thee Chadman...or tChadman for short. I mean there is but one true Chadman. :D

steelblood
05-04-2014, 10:46 AM
Doesn't the contest winner announce a Saturday pick?

birtikidis
05-04-2014, 11:05 AM
The only selfie I want to see is the one you take IMMEDIATELY after kicking Goodell in the Jimmy

Captain Lemming
05-04-2014, 01:20 PM
Wow, wow, a wife with her priorities in order.
She is a rare gem indeed. :)

ikestops85
05-05-2014, 12:53 PM
Wow, that is amazing. Congrats to you and have a great time. Please give Goodell a James Harrison like slap to the head when you see him. :rolleyes:

RuthlessBurgher
05-05-2014, 02:32 PM
Goodell will be announcing our first round pick (he announces all of the first round picks).

Terry Hanratty will be announcing our second round pick (32 former players make the 2nd round picks for each team).

Perhaps that means that Starlifter will be announcing our 3rd round comp pick?

Be sure to thank the stupid Dolphins for overpaying for Mike Wallace, thereby giving up the highest possible comp pick.

Congrats, man. Have a great, great time.

By the way, here is the complete list of other former NFL players set to announce picks in round 2:

Arizona Cardinals, Aeneas Williams (CB)
Atlanta Falcons, Claude Humphrey (DE)
Baltimore Ravens, Michael McCrary (DE)
Buffalo Bills, Andre Reed (WR)
Carolina Panthers, Mark Carrier (WR)
Chicago Bears, Mike Singletary (LB)
Cincinnati Bengals, Ken Riley (CB)
Cleveland Browns, Eric Metcalf (WR)
Dallas Cowboys, Dat Nguyen (LB)
Denver Broncos, Gene Mingo (HB)
Detroit Lions, Herman Moore (WR)
Green Bay Packers, James Lofton (WR)
Houston Texans, Chester Pitts (G)
Indianapolis Colts, Marvin Harrison (WR)
Jacksonville Jaguars, Brad Meester (C)
*Kansas City Chiefs, Curley Culp (DT)
Miami Dolphins, Larry Little (G)
Minnesota Vikings, Joey Browner (S)
New England Patriots, Willie McGinest (DE-LB)
New Orleans Saints, Morten Andersen (K)
New York Giants, Harry Carson (LB)
New York Jets, Chad Pennington (QB)
Oakland Raiders, Willie Brown (CB)
Philadelphia Eagles, Mike Quick (WR)
Pittsburgh Steelers, Terry Hanratty (QB)
St. Louis Rams, Kevin Carter (DE)
San Diego Chargers, Jamal Williams (DT)
San Francisco 49ers, Dennis Brown (DE)
Seattle Seahawks, Walter Jones (OT)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Derrick Brooks (LB)
Tennessee Titans, Kevin Dyson (WR)
Washington Redskins, London Fletcher (LB)

phillyesq
05-05-2014, 02:42 PM
Congrats, Starlifter. Sounds absolutely amazing.

Starlifter
05-06-2014, 08:18 PM
Tomorrow is the day!! Woooooo!!!

Maybe I can grab a selfie with Terry H!

flippy
05-07-2014, 09:57 AM
I'm getting more and more psyched for you by the minute. This thread makes me happy.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-07-2014, 10:00 AM
I missed the news that London Fletcher retired...

Oviedo
05-07-2014, 11:06 AM
"On behalf of the Planet Steelers, the Pittsburgh Steelers select..."