PDA

View Full Version : Bell is back!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-24-2013, 12:46 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000249901/article/leveon-bell-reportedly-to-play-for-steelers-vs-vikings

Steelhere10
09-24-2013, 06:48 AM
I told you that was a bogus report by the Trib about the Lisfranc, it sounded like Ed B. guessing again.

Discipline of Steel
09-24-2013, 07:32 AM
We saw some improvement with the return of Heath, now hopefully another step up with the return of our Bellcow RB!!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-24-2013, 08:48 AM
Missing 5 weeks no matter what you label it was a bad injury. Lets just hope there are no setbacks when he plays & he returns to full strength quickly.

Shawn
09-24-2013, 08:51 AM
Music to my ears. He will still need the OL to actually block. Wonder what the cure for that is.

steelz09
09-24-2013, 09:36 AM
Wow... you know your team sucks when the only thing that can gain a bit of optimisim is the return of 2nd round RB that has shown nothing on an NFL field. :)

Shawn
09-24-2013, 09:50 AM
I think there is some serious misinformation out there about Lisfranc injuries. Depending on the severity, 5 weeks is not out of the question for recovery from that type of injury. If it's severe enough it can end careers, mild enough and players can be back in 4-6 weeks.

Shawn
09-24-2013, 09:51 AM
Wow... you know your team sucks when the only thing that can gain a bit of optimisim is the return of 2nd round RB that has shown nothing on an NFL field. :)

There is some truth to your statement. And I really like Bell.

steelz09
09-24-2013, 10:13 AM
I'm hoping the Steelers saw a bigger version of Jamaal Charles with this pick. Let's hope he turns out that way.

Shawn
09-24-2013, 10:16 AM
If there is a back in this draft with the ability to run behind a questionable OL it's Bell.

Oviedo
09-24-2013, 10:21 AM
We really need Bell to perform, but the way this season has been I have this gloomy place in the back of my mind that says can't you count on a RB with a foot problem for the long term? Last I checked, feet were pretty important to RBs. Can someone please help me escape the gloomy place?

Hopefully, the team has seen enough that they don't do something stupid like release Dwyer and keep worthless Redman.

flippy
09-24-2013, 10:22 AM
I'd still start Dwyer on Sunday. I think he's earned it. Let's see what Bell can do before we give him the job. For all we know, he's as ready to play RB as Mike Adams is ready to play LT.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Right now, the best RB for this team is Dwyer.When your OL pass protects as poorly as this one, you need a RB who can step up and take the man who comes free. These days we hope that it is only one man who does. :p

Go back and watch both TDs to Brown, as well as a host of other big pass plays that Ben completed against the Bears. On how many of them did Dwyer (who was not around at the beginning of the game when the Steelers went down 17-0 early) step up and take out a rusher?

He had a very good game, and I'm not just thinking about his couple of decent runs. In today's NFL the number one priority for a RB not named Peterson is to help out his QB as a blocker.

BlitzTo7
09-24-2013, 10:43 AM
I like Bell's pedigree, but I don't think a rookie RB was ever going to be the savior of this offense. Especially if he's coming off of a 5 week injury.

Shawn
09-24-2013, 10:46 AM
As much as I like Bell. I just don't see him behind this OL, fresh off a foot injury lighting it up. All I hope for is to see some flashes of potential.

Oviedo
09-24-2013, 10:50 AM
Right now, the best RB for this team is Dwyer.When your OL pass protects as poorly as this one, you need a RB who can step up and take the man who comes free. These days we hope that it is only one man who does. :p

Go back and watch both TDs to Brown, as well as a host of other big pass plays that Ben completed against the Bears. On how many of them did Dwyer (who was not around at the beginning of the game when the Steelers went down 17-0 early) step up and take out a rusher?

He had a very good game, and I'm not just thinking about his couple of decent runs. In today's NFL the number one priority for a RB not named Peterson is to help out his QB as a blocker.

I saw the same good things from Dwyer. It still blows my mind that we cut him to keep Redman who offers nothing.

I would give Dwyer the start in London and work Bell in slowly

feltdizz
09-24-2013, 10:57 AM
I saw the same good things from Dwyer. It still blows my mind that we cut him to keep Redman who offers nothing.

I would give Dwyer the start in London and work Bell in slowly

I agree... but we'll probably run him til the wheel falls off next game.

flippy
09-24-2013, 12:06 PM
I agree... but we'll probably run him til the wheel falls off next game.

Please don't jinx him. Now I'm half expecting those wheels to come off after 2 more carries.

Ghost
09-24-2013, 12:35 PM
With this type of injury, what are the chances of a re-occurrence if he's coming back even a little bit early? The Vikes are 0-3, just got beat bu a Hoyer led Browns team (without out their franchise RB), and have Ponder at QB. Why not take the extra 2 weeks with the bye and bring him out against the Jets on 10/13?

papillon
09-24-2013, 12:38 PM
With this type of injury, what are the chances of a re-occurrence if he's coming back even a little bit early? The Vikes are 0-3, just got beat bu a Hoyer led Browns team (without out their franchise RB), and have Ponder at QB. Why not take the extra 2 weeks with the bye and bring him out against the Jets on 10/13?

You think the Steelers are good enough to keep their best players off the field and win games? :p

Pappy

steelz09
09-24-2013, 01:06 PM
You think the Steelers are good enough to keep their best players off the field and win games? :p

Pappy

How can we consider Bell one of our best players when he doesn't have 5 total rush attempts (including preseason)?

Shawn
09-24-2013, 01:09 PM

IMO, take that for what it's worth...but VERY high. I believe the foot will be sore until next years camp at bare minimum.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-24-2013, 01:11 PM
Dwyer's the man right now, or should be.

Bell can be worked in to the rotation gradually.

Ghost
09-24-2013, 01:14 PM
IMO, take that for what it's worth...but VERY high. I believe the foot will be sore until next years camp at bare minimum.

Hoping you'd respond. This decision seems short sighted. A RB who has yet to take a hand-off in a regular NFL game and had very, very few in preseason isn't going to make much of a difference. Why risk the last 12 games when holding him out rests the foot and then gives him 2 weeks to practice and work his way back into the lineup before the Jets game. Hope I'm completely wrong and Bell runs wild with no residual effects after the game!!

Shawn
09-24-2013, 01:20 PM
Hoping you'd respond. This decision seems short sighted. A RB who has yet to take a hand-off in a regular NFL game and had very, very few in preseason isn't going to make much of a difference. Why risk the last 12 games when holding him out rests the foot and then gives him 2 weeks to practice and work his way back into the lineup before the Jets game. Hope I'm completely wrong and Bell runs wild with no residual effects after the game!!

I know my insight on Bell is limited for a couple reasons. 1) I'm not there to look at his films, see radiology reports, examine him etc. 2) I'm not an orthopod...so my opinion needs to be taken with a grain of salt. I can only speak of generalities. This kind of injury, even a mild sprain of the foot of a running back can set the running back up for a years worth of discomfort. 5 weeks isn't "early" for a mild sprain but he will likely have a lower threshold for re-injury. It feels like a reactive move due to being 0-3. The Steelers might be cutting off their noses to spite their face.

Steelchip
09-24-2013, 01:30 PM

What he said !

papillon
09-24-2013, 02:14 PM
How can we consider Bell one of our best players when he doesn't have 5 total rush attempts (including preseason)?

I was just rolling with what everyone else is saying about the kid. A lot of fans seem to be excited that he's back and ready to play. I thought Jones and Dwyer looked good against the Bears, not sure I'd bench them for Bell. I'd get Bell on the field for snaps, but not a lot until he gets through weeks of practice and has proven that he's the best option. After all, he is a Big 10 back and they haven't panned in the past in the NFL. At this point I'm from Missouri, show me.

Pappy

Snatch98
09-24-2013, 02:53 PM
I'm hoping the Steelers saw a bigger version of Jamaal Charles with this pick. Let's hope he turns out that way.

Why did you pick charles as a comparison point? He is nothing like jamal charles.

MeetJoeGreene
09-24-2013, 06:42 PM
i wouldn't play him until after the bye at least.

mr.me
09-24-2013, 06:46 PM
If there is a back in this draft with the ability to run behind a questionable OL it's Bell.

couldnt agree more,and im a buckeyes fan!!!

Eddie Spaghetti
09-24-2013, 06:55 PM
i wouldn't play him until after the bye at least.

agreed.

if you cant win without him this week, it really doesn't matter when he comes back this year.

not worth the long term risk.

Shoe
09-24-2013, 06:55 PM
Dwyer's the man right now, or should be.

Bell can be worked in to the rotation gradually.

The problem with that is that, knowing Dwyer, he'll now think he is The $h!t, and go back to living like he's "made it"--become complacent, rest on his laurels, get fat, stop playing with a chip on his shoulder. That's the only reason why he was cut and that scrub Redman was kept. Talent-wise, it isn't even close.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-24-2013, 09:02 PM
The problem with that is that, knowing Dwyer, he'll now think he is The $h!t, and go back to living like he's "made it"--become complacent, rest on his laurels, get fat, stop playing with a chip on his shoulder. That's the only reason why he was cut and that scrub Redman was kept. Talent-wise, it isn't even close.

Maybe after his sabbatical for a week or two he'll decide it's better on the field than on the couch, and stay on edge, fighting for that #2 spot.

I'd like to believe the Steeler docs wouldn't put him on the field too early, but tbh, I don't have a lot of faith in that for some reason.

Hey, MJG - didn't you used to have a cool sig pic? Flippy can tell you how to get it back on the forum, he just figured it out recently.

thor75
09-24-2013, 09:06 PM
Maybe after his sabbatical for a week or two he'll decide it's better on the field than on the couch, and stay on edge, fighting for that #2 spot.

I'd like to believe the Steeler docs wouldn't put him on the field too early, but tbh, I don't have a lot of faith in that for some reason.

Beat me to it, SAS. I was going to say the same thing. We can only hope him getting cut will act as motivation to avoid the complacency.

noitall0605
09-25-2013, 12:44 AM
uuuuuhhhhggggg, we have resorted to looking for a savior- a savior without an NFL carry and one with 5 preseason carries.

No offense , but hard to pull for a guy to fit 'this offense'.

This offense is something I dont want to see anymore

SS Laser
09-25-2013, 01:20 AM
Dwyer's problem is leaving to many yards on the field so says tape breakdown by Depot. So Bell very well could have a nice day if he reads his holes better. I love that Dwyer played well in pass pro. But a RB needs to at least hit his holes.

Shawn
09-25-2013, 09:44 AM
Reading holes is one of Bell's strengths. He was typically running through tiny cracks. The MSU OL was often overwhelmed by better DLs. He seems to fall forward, get two when there are none, and get 10 when there is 5. He finds ways to pick up yardage...and that is one of the many things I like about him.

papillon
09-25-2013, 09:48 AM
Reading holes is one of Bell's strengths. He was typically running through tiny cracks. The MSU OL was often overwhelmed by better DLs. He seems to fall forward, get two when there are none, and get 10 when there is 5. He finds ways to pick up yardage...and that is one of the many things I like about him.

I hope you're right, because Big 10 backs haven't exactly lived up to expectations in the NFL. I hope Bell breaks the trend.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
12-16-2013, 02:44 AM
nice stiff arm, I would love to see what Bell could do if he ever got any blocking...

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/social_assets/le'veon%20stiff%20arm.gif

Slapstick
12-16-2013, 09:36 AM
First Steelers rookie RB with 1000 yards from scrimmage since Bam Morris...and Franco Harris before him...

Here's hoping his career trajectory is closer to Franco than Bam...

Shawn
12-16-2013, 10:34 AM
Yeah, congrats to Bell. I am encouraged that the Steelers are starting to see some of their young talent develop.

feltdizz
12-16-2013, 10:37 AM
I just wish the OL would open a few holes so we can see what he can do once he hits the second level.

Oviedo
12-16-2013, 11:11 AM
I just wish the OL would open a few holes so we can see what he can do once he hits the second level.

Wouldn't that be nice to see a few holes created by the OL. It amazes me that we have so many all of a sudden believing that the OL is good enough to justify spending yet more premium draft picks on the defense in 2014. IMO that would be a huge mistake.

Shawn
12-16-2013, 11:34 AM
Wouldn't that be nice to see a few holes created by the OL. It amazes me that we have so many all of a sudden believing that the OL is good enough to justify spending yet more premium draft picks on the defense in 2014. IMO that would be a huge mistake.

Depends on how the draft falls. If an elite LT is there for the Steelers, no way do I seem them passing. I know some are convinced (for unknown reasons) that Mike Adams is the LT solution but he has MUCH to prove before I'm willing to buy that.

ikestops85
12-16-2013, 03:17 PM

I agree that the line still needs major improvements and a franchise left tackle would be wonderful. Not until we can consistently get 3rd/4th and short running the ball will I be satisfied with the run blocking. It is amazing that the pass blocking looks so much better now that Ben has bought into Haley's system. Five or six weeks ago I thought we were years away with this line. I'm just stymied how well they are playing now compared to earlier in the season.

steelsnis
12-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Yeah, congrats to Bell. I am encouraged that the Steelers are starting to see some of their young talent develop.

Agreed. But isn't that the nature of YOUNG talent? It needs time to grow and develop. These days, fan bases (esp. ours) seems to think that simply stepping on an NFL field is going to automatically make a player great. It takes time, opportunity, experience hard work and skill for that to happen.

Now let's make sure we can hold onto that young talent.

hawaiiansteel
12-17-2013, 03:14 AM
James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell:

Walter Payton's rookie season: 196-679-7.

Le'Veon Bell's rookie season: 198-646-6.

https://twitter.com/jimwexell

papillon
12-17-2013, 10:32 AM

No matter how much everyone believes that outscoring your opponent is the way to win football games in the NFL, it really isn't. It might be during the regular season, but once you get into a one and done tournament relying on your offense to click on all cylinders for 3 or 4 games and possibly in nasty weather is a recipe for a loss and exit from the tournament. Having an above average to great defense and an average offense is a better recipe IMO.

DeCastro, Pouncey and Foster are a good inside trio, Gilbert has been showing flashes at RT, LT is really the only question mark and Adams may still develop into that role before it's all said and done. The OL isn't in shambles, IMO.

That being said, if one of the elite LTs (I'm not talking late 1st or early second, I mean a plug and play LT) is available when we draft I'd take him, otherwise, I'm going FS or CB in the first round. Clark is probably done and Allen and Golden aren't the answer. Taylor almost has to take a severe pay cut to be a Steeler next year, a play making corner in the first would be sweet. If a CB and FS are not there in the first, try and move back a few spots and then take Nix.

For me, Elite LT, FS or CB, move back and take Nix, and finally, if all of the above fail then ILB, is how I'd approach the Steelers first round pick in that order.

Pappy

thor75
12-17-2013, 10:45 AM
For me, Elite LT, FS or CB, move back and take Nix, and finally, if all of the above fail then ILB, is how I'd approach the Steelers first round pick in that order.

Pappy

I can live with that, but I may replace a TE with Nix if a worthy TE is available. But truly TE and ILB are even on my list as desirables.

Ernie
12-17-2013, 08:41 PM
If a franchise LT is there you take him.. if not, LT is Beacham's to lose. He has shown more than Adams and Gilbert combined at this point. If we take a LT in round 1, Beacham goes to RT and Adams/Gilbert fight it out for a roster spot.

hawaiiansteel
12-17-2013, 08:44 PM
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin says choosing Le'Veon Bell over Eddie Lacy was an 'easy choice'

By Neal Coolong on Dec 17 2013

Supportive puffery or legitimate evaluation? Either way, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin fired a shot or two at the Green Bay Packers at his press conference Tuesday when he mentioned the ease of taking Le'Veon Bell over Eddie Lacy in the 2013 NFL Draft.

The Packers selected Alabama running back Eddie Lacy in the second round of the 2013 NFL Draft - after Cincinnati selected Giovani Bernard, Denver took Montee Ball and Pittsburgh took Le'Veon Bell.

Lacy beat all of them to the 1,000 yard mark, rushing for 141 yards in a huge comeback win over the Dallas Cowboys in Week 15. Not that the quartet of second-round backs have performed poorly at all - all four have been at least solid, if not spectacular, this year.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin stands by his choice.

"It was an easy decision for me," Tomlin said. "Obviously, Lacy's a top-quality back, but probably it's a matter of preference, just like I'm sure Cincinnati went through the same discussions and thoughts when they took Giovani Bernard in front of both of them."

Lacy has been a big reason why the Packers have managed to stay in contention for both the NFC North title as well as the playoffs in the absence of quarterback Aaron Rodgers. The Packers' offense has struggled, but, like they showed in the second half against Dallas, Lacy is capable of exploding.

That doesn't change Tomlin's mind, but it better concern him as far as his defense is concerned. The Steelers held Cincinnati to 57 rushing yards - 60 yards below their season average. Lacy's power and vision are obvious in film, and he'll be a handful for the Steelers in Week 16.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/12/17/5221638/steelers-coach-mike-tomlin-comments-2013-nfl-draft-eddie-lacy-leveon-bell