PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering

stlrz d
07-14-2008, 08:39 AM
Not trying to turn this into a political discussion but since our Steelers are part of the story here I'm curious what people in the 'Burgh think of this.

Regardless of political affiliation I find it disgusting when any candidate does something like this.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch ... vania.html (http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/07/in-pennsylvania.html)

In Pennsylvania, McCain Tells a New Version of Heroic P.O.W. Story -- Subbing the Pittsburgh Steelers for the Green Bay Packers

July 10, 2008 5:37 PM

Yesterday in Pittsburgh, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., professed his love for the Steelers to KDKA-TV.

Asked what first comes to his mind when he thinks of Pittsburgh, McCain chuckled, "the Steelers. I was a mediocre high school athlete but I loved and adored the sports but the Steelers really made a huge impression on me particularly in my early years."

And then McCain told a rather moving story about his time as a P.O.W. "When I was first interrogated and really had to give some information because of the pressures, physical pressures on me, I named the starting lineup, defensive line of the Pittsburgh Steelers as my squadron mates."

"Did you really?" asked the reporter.

"Yes," McCain said.

"In your POW camp?" asked the reporter.

"Yes," McCain said.

"Could you do it today?" asked the reporter.

"No, unfortunately," McCain said.

Here's one reason he likely couldn't do it today -- the Steelers aren't the team whose defensive line McCain named for his Vietnamese tormentors. The Green Bay Packers are. At least according to every previous time McCain has told this story. And the McCain campaign just told ABC News that the senator made a mistake -- it was, indeed, the Packers.

In McCain's best-selling 1999 memoir “Faith of My Fathers,” McCain writes:

“Once my condition had stabilized, my interrogators resumed their work. Demands for military information were accompanied by threats to terminate my medical treatment if I did not cooperate. Eventually, I gave them my ship’s name and squadron number, and confirmed that my target had been the power plant. Pressed for more useful information, I gave the names of the Green Bay Packers offensive line, and said they were members of my squadron. When asked to identify future targets, I simply recited the names of a number of North Vietnamese cities that had already been bombed.”

In 2005, A&E ran a movie version of "Faith of My Fathers."

And McCain discussed that precise clip on CNN.

The actor playing McCain, asked to name the men in his squadron, says: "Starr; Greg; McGee; Davis; Adderly; Brown; Ringo; Wood."

Cut back to real life. The CNN anchor asks McCain: "For those who don't know the story, were those NFL football players?"

"That was the starting lineup of the Green Bay Packers, the first Super Bowl champions, yes," McCain responded. But it's -- it was the best I could think of at the time."

The movie actually shows this act of defiance twice.

INTERROGATOR: The names of your squadron...

MCCAIN: Starr, Gregg...McGee, Davis...Adderley, Brown, Ringo, Wood.

INTERROGATOR: Ten points, McCain.

MCCAIN: Ray Nitschke, our C.O.

The Packers anecdote is not only a key part of the McCain biography, it's part of his argument against torture.

Explaining why he thinks torture can result in erroneous information, McCain wrote in Newsweek in 2005, "In my experience, abuse of prisoners often produces bad intelligence because under torture a person will say anything he thinks his captors want to hear--whether it is true or false--if he believes it will relieve his suffering. I was once physically coerced to provide my enemies with the names of the members of my flight squadron, information that had little if any value to my enemies as actionable intelligence. But I did not refuse, or repeat my insistence that I was required under the Geneva Conventions to provide my captors only with my name, rank and serial number. Instead, I gave them the names of the Green Bay Packers' offensive line, knowing that providing them false information was sufficient to suspend the abuse."

McCain's valor as a P.O.W. is beyond admirable, but this business of substituting the Steelers for the Packers is odd, though as I said, the McCain campaign says this was an honest mistake.

- jpt

Les 74
07-14-2008, 08:53 AM
Just more B.S. from another B.S. politician. :roll:

RuthlessBurgher
07-14-2008, 10:30 AM
"In my experience, abuse of prisoners often produces bad intelligence because under torture a person will say anything he thinks his captors want to hear--whether it is true or false--if he believes it will relieve his suffering."

Also, in my experience, on the campaign trail, a politician will say anything he thinks potential voters want to hear--whether it is true or false--if he believes it will persuade them to vote for him.

Iron Shiek
07-14-2008, 11:46 AM
Wow, I just started my "A-Hole" list in my sig, and already got a new member after reading one post.

What an idiot! I hate that kind of stuff. People eat it up I guess.

Shawn
07-14-2008, 12:03 PM
You find it disgusting that he is pandering to football fans? That's what politicians do. McCain is certainly not alone in this sort of thing so no it doesn't bother me. I have watched Obama do this same sort of thing on the issues. Ridin' the wave of public opinion...pandering for votes with untruthful words. Honestly, the whole political system makes me ill. With all of that said...politicans wouldn't do this sort of thing if it didn't work. And that is egg on our face. That is a display of the sad ignorance that can go on in certain segments of our population.

NKySteeler
07-14-2008, 12:06 PM
McCain is an idiot. Not that anyone needed me to say that.... Yea, he was a POW.... Right after he got out and back to the states, he divorced his wife for a young honey.... He has stated that the airlines are on thier own, and pilots are extremely over-paid. Even said that NYC buss drivers should be treated better than us.... I wonder if that is how he feels while at 37,000 feet during his campaign travels.... A complete *******...

RuthlessBurgher
07-14-2008, 12:10 PM
McCain is an idiot. Not that anyone needed me to say that.... Yea, he was a POW.... Right after he got out and back to the states, he divorced his wife for a young honey.... He has stated that the airlines are on thier own, and pilots are extremely over-paid. Even said that NYC buss drivers should be treated better than us.... I wonder if that is how he feels while at 37,000 feet during his campaign travels.... A complete *******...

Well, in general, airline pilots are not extremely overpaid. Just one particular airline pilot from Florence, Ky who's got enough time on his hands to post 1100 times on a Steeler message board. That's guy's extremely overpaid. The others? Not so much. :lol:

NKySteeler
07-14-2008, 12:18 PM
Hey, not so Ruthless!..... So what if I'm sitting in the Atlanta airport right now, typing in public, shirking my duties so as to banter with quality folks like yourself.... :wink: ... Actually, they should double my salary for dealing with idiots like McCain..... :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
07-14-2008, 01:24 PM
Hey, not so Ruthless!..... So what if I'm sitting in the Atlanta airport right now, typing in public, shirking my duties so as to banter with quality folks like yourself.... :wink: ... Actually, they should double my salary for dealing with idiots like McCain..... :lol:

At least you are not drinking at the airport bar before your flight is scheduled to depart (actually, judging by the quality of some of your posts here, maybe you are drinking...)

:lol:

Jigawatts
07-14-2008, 01:37 PM

At least you are not drinking at the airport bar before your flight is scheduled to depart (actually, judging by the quality of some of your posts here, maybe you are drinking...)

....and my next flight will be on SouthWest. :lol:

stlrz d
07-14-2008, 01:52 PM
I'm really glad this didn't turn into a right wing, left wing thing because that's not what I wanted it to be. It only caught my attention because it was somewhat Steelers related.

I know politicians pander and I find it pathetic that they do so. Most of them I have no more respect for than I do the homeless guy pandering for me to put change in his cup.

RuthlessBurgher
07-14-2008, 03:38 PM
I'm really glad this didn't turn into a right wing, left wing thing because that's not what I wanted it to be. It only caught my attention because it was somewhat Steelers related.

I know politicians pander and I find it pathetic that they do so. Most of them I have no more respect for than I do the homeless guy pandering for me to put change in his cup.

Nope, no left wing, right wing bantering here (other than talking about the left and right wings of NKy's plane).

Speaking of politicians and airplanes, I am reminded of a classic quote:

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don’t Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

eniparadoxgma
07-15-2008, 12:07 PM
[youtube:93d1b6zu]hAzBxFaio1I[/youtube:93d1b6zu]

Jom112
07-15-2008, 02:59 PM

As the old pilot saying goes "Eight hours from bottle to throttle..."

:Cheers

RuthlessBurgher
07-15-2008, 03:14 PM

Better watch what you say, Jom...since he lives in Northern Kentucky, chances are good that you might be on one of his flights out of Cincinnattica. :lol:

Jom112
07-15-2008, 03:40 PM

Better watch what you say, Jom...since he lives in Northern Kentucky, chances are good that you might be on one of his flights out of Cincinnattica. :lol:

Good thing I live in Chicago...

Djfan
07-15-2008, 05:30 PM
Wow, I just started my "A-Hole" list in my sig, and already got a new member after reading one post.

What an idiot! I hate that kind of stuff. People eat it up I guess.

Lame

NKySteeler
07-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Very funny guys..... While I know that Ruthless was making a joke, it is a V-E-R-Y touchy subject due to events over recent years within the industry.... I do not partake at all while out on a 4-day trip. And while some of my posts may seem far-fetched, I don't partake the day before going out either.

....And BTW, I've actually never set foot in an airport bar. Even when off-duty..... :wink:

RuthlessBurgher
07-16-2008, 04:36 PM
Very funny guys..... While I know that Ruthless was making a joke, it is a V-E-R-Y touchy subject due to events over recent years within the industry.... I do not partake at all while out on a 4-day trip. And while some of my posts may seem far-fetched, I don't partake the day before going out either.

....And BTW, I've actually never set foot in an airport bar. Even when off-duty..... :wink:

Never drink and post! Qweiou asdgh vlskdj vblku atliu. :lol:

NKySteeler
07-16-2008, 05:05 PM
Never drink and post! Qweiou asdgh vlskdj vblku atliu. :lol:

Are you telling me to get off the computer?!.......... :Beer

..... And yes, I'm home from my trip and off-duty..... :lol: