User Info Menu

Steelers Bring in Trai Turner for a Visit

When healthy, a tremendous run blocker

BUT

probably a high price tag & hasn't played a full season in 5 years

Can't see this happening

Legend

User Info Menu

This one is surprising. Maybe something concerning with Decastro. He didn't participate in mini camp and looked like a shell of himself last year
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Legend

User Info Menu

These are the types of moves they will make if affordable. Concentrate on the OL, maybe a defensive back and OLB. Our depth will get tested.

Legend

User Info Menu

5-time Pro Bowl guard visited Pittsburgh Steelers

Allison Koehler
    June 18, 2021

Former Panthers and Chargers guard Trai Turner had a visit with the Pittsburgh Steelers on Friday, according to ESPNís Adam Schefter.

Turner was selected to five consecutive Pro Bowls, 2015 to 2019, with Carolina.

The veteran was cut by the Chargers in March after one season in whatís said to have been a cap-saving measure. But Turner was also awful when he took the field ó Pro Football Focus graded him at 34.8. He also missed seven games in 2020 due to injuries.

You have to wonder why the Steelers are interested in signing a guard. Is it for camp competition or is David DeCastro on his way out? DeCastro dealt with injuries last season and struggled when he was active. Heís in the final season of his contract and cutting him could save $8.75 million.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...d-trai-turner/

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    These are the types of moves they will make if affordable. Concentrate on the OL, maybe a defensive back and OLB. Our depth will get tested.
    No doubt. Proof that there still is concern about the I-line.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Proof that there still is concern about the I-line.
    the l-line?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    5-time Pro Bowl guard visited Pittsburgh Steelers

Allison Koehler
    June 18, 2021

Former Panthers and Chargers guard Trai Turner had a visit with the Pittsburgh Steelers on Friday, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

Turner was selected to five consecutive Pro Bowls, 2015 to 2019, with Carolina.

The veteran was cut by the Chargers in March after one season in what’s said to have been a cap-saving measure. But Turner was also awful when he took the field — Pro Football Focus graded him at 34.8. He also missed seven games in 2020 due to injuries.

You have to wonder why the Steelers are interested in signing a guard. Is it for camp competition or is David DeCastro on his way out? DeCastro dealt with injuries last season and struggled when he was active. He’s in the final season of his contract and cutting him could save $8.75 million.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...d-trai-turner/
    So the Steelers are looking at a guy that hasn't stayed on the field in 5 yrs, and when he gets on the field he stinks?? No thanks. Would rather go with some young kid that wants to prove he belongs.
    If DeCastro isn't a go this season it will hurt less about his play but his experience will be sorely missed with such a young OL. I fear Roethlisberger will be running for his life early on.

Legend

User Info Menu

Something is up with Decastro.

Is it injury?

Money?

I saw a tweet where a reporter said he talked to every Steeler starter but DD.

Something is wrong.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

This, from another board:

Bolt fan here. We had no luck with Turner in 2020: he ranked an ugly 79th out of a possible 80 guards in the NFL in Pro Football Focusí guard rankings and started only 9 games...all were bad. 34 PFF grade which was horrendous. We didn't resign him even as a backup. I would pass....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    I agree.

Turner left town without a contract, we're just kicking the tires on some of these guys.