Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pierre and Layne, Where does Sutton play article?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Pierre and Layne, Where does Sutton play article?

Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Seems consensus is that Pierre had leapfogged Layne. It happened last season.

Pierre played very well last season which earned him that.

As far as Sutton?

Per your article:

"his debate will be structured just around the depth chart. Which cornerback will be the CB3 behind Joe Haden and Sutton? Justin Layne or James Pierre?"

Legend

User Info Menu

Pierre will continue his ascension up the depth chart and take over the Cam Sutton role in 2020 as the CB3.

seems clear to me Sutton is the starting CB and Pierre is in position to leap frog Layne and solidify the third CB role that Sutton had last year.

Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Pierre will continue his ascension up the depth chart and take over the Cam Sutton role in 2020 as the CB3.

seems clear to me Sutton is the starting CB and Pierre is in position to leap frog Layne and solidify the third CB role that Sutton had last year.

The wording here is a bit tricky though.

If someone forgot that we dropped Nelson, saying "taking over Sutton's role" could have someone thinking that Pierre is passing Sutton on the depth chart.

I also thought that I'd read that Pierre wasn't really build to play inside. And that if he saw the field with 3CBs it would likely be on the outside with Sutton sliding in. But maybe I'm confusing Pierre with things I read about Layne from last year?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post

If someone forgot that we dropped Nelson, saying "taking over Sutton's role" could have someone thinking that Pierre is passing Sutton on the depth chart.

I also thought that I'd read that Pierre wasn't really build to play inside. And that if he saw the field with 3CBs it would likely be on the outside with Sutton sliding in. But maybe I'm confusing Pierre with things I read about Layne from last year?
    I personally would LOVE for Pierre to overtake Sutton as starter outside. I think Sutton is fine so if Pierre overtakes him it means Pierre is REALLY good.

Heck I'd love for one of THIS year's free agents to supplant Haden too. It means he is REALLY good.

My only dispute with Joel is that this HAS NOT HAPPENED YET. Certainly not last season.

This article only confirms that Pierre has not YET surpassed Sutton on the depth chart.

Legend

User Info Menu

There are two CBs needing replaced. Sutton and Pierre look to be the guys making the field. I haven't read anywhere about Layne being in the running. And if he is the Steelers secondary is in trouble.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I personally would LOVE for Pierre to overtake Sutton as starter outside. I think Sutton is fine so if Pierre overtakes him it means Pierre is REALLY good.

Heck I'd love for one of THIS year's free agents to supplant Haden too. It means he is REALLY good.

My only dispute with Joel is that this HAS NOT HAPPENED YET. Certainly not last season.

This article only confirms that Pierre has not YET surpassed Sutton on the depth chart.
    I agree 100%.

Ideal we have a few of the ?s at CB in the conversation for competing for that spot.

We'll likely need a 2nd outside CB after next season anyway, because I don't think we sign Haden to another deal. And I think Sutton's deal voids after next season (not the upcoming season, but the one after).
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 06-07-2021 at 04:22 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Two questions going in...

Who comes out of the battle as the #3? We know that Pierre is currently ahead of Layne on the depth chart but:

1) Layne was the draft pick, Pierre the UDFA. We know that any team would prefer to give the pick the chance to win the job.
    2) Layne was drafted as a project and the consensus was that it would take at least a couple of years before he gets his feet under him. That would take us to now.

The other question is could someone else come out and win the job as #3. Luckily, with Sutton as a starter it means that either an outside or slot guy could win the job as Sutton could play both.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post

it only reads tricky if you want Pierre to jump over Sutton and didn’t believe Sutton started when Haden was out last year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Two questions going in...

Who comes out of the battle as the #3? We know that Pierre is currently ahead of Layne on the depth chart but:

1) Layne was the draft pick, Pierre the UDFA. We know that any team would prefer to give the pick the chance to win the job.
    2) Layne was drafted as a project and the consensus was that it would take at least a couple of years before he gets his feet under him. That would take us to now.

The other question is could someone else come out and win the job as #3. Luckily, with Sutton as a starter it means that either an outside or slot guy could win the job as Sutton could play both.
    I’m sure we would love for both guys to pan out but you can’t make a guy better than he is just because he was drafted higher.