Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steeler Vets in Danger

Legend

User Info Menu

Steeler Vets in Danger

Despite lack of depth at several positions, I think there are some Steelers that might see their time with the team end before the season starts:

• UGIII - modest excitement when the guy was drafted but injuries set him back and he never seemed to be able to stick on the field. A sixth rounder won't be given too many chances before the Steelers start to look another way.
    • M. Allen - when he's been called upon he hasn't exactly shined. Athletic but not really the hybrid player Tomlin is looking for in the position. Two games started in three years, with a total of 32 tackles. There's a reason why the Steelers were kicking the tires on oft injured Hooker.
    • I. Buggs - one draft profile seems to sum him up; "Buggs' ceiling may not be more than an average starter, but I'd love his contributions in a depth/rotational role." Drafting Loudermilk might not be a good sign for Buggs but he might stick if he can show more than Wormley did last season.
    • J. Hausenhour - with Finney in the fold and Green drafted, where does that leave JH??
    • J. Layne - seems to have the measurables but hasn't yet translated it to performance. He is also a lightening rod for some fans. It might be a stretch to say Layne doesn't make it through camp given the Steelers desperation at CB but there are still some good FAs waiting for a call.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'd add Berry to the list. I can't see the Steelers cutting Loudermilk after trading up to get him, the optics would not be good.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think it will be an interesting off season. And I'm glad that it's looking more and more like it will be a full off season.

We have a lot more questions to answer than usual, so hopefully we get all the reps were supposed to so the staff has as much info as possible to make decisions.

It's a very good year for us to be in the HoF game IMO.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    I'd add Berry to the list. I can't see the Steelers cutting Loudermilk after trading up to get him, the optics would not be good.
    I think you mistook what I was saying on Loudermilk. Buggs may be in trouble after the Steelers drafted Loudermilk.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

TE's Rader and Gentry will likely not both make the final cut with the rookie PF now in the mix. Samuels fits where now with Harris on board? We are so thin at OLB but if Marsh is on the final roster we are in some trouble. He just could not hold the point a year ago.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    TE's Rader and Gentry will likely not both make the final cut with the rookie PF now in the mix. Samuels fits where now with Harris on board? We are so thin at OLB but if Marsh is on the final roster we are in some trouble. He just could not hold the point a year ago.
    Good point on the TEs. I think Gentry might be the one cut as Rader is apparently a better blocker.
    I wouldn't mind Samuel getting the axe but he always somehow hangs on. He brings very little to the run game though.

Legend

User Info Menu

Wouldn’t be surprised about Gentry; we took a TE in the second round for a reason. Sad we wasted a 5th round pick on him.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Wouldn’t be surprised about Gentry

Sad we wasted a 5th round pick on him.
    I thought you said Gentry was so dangerous "going down the seam"?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I am fine being 3 deep which we are not at TE.. Gentry is lucky to be on the team. I do think our rookie OLB will stick and add the depth you are talking about.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    I am fine being 3 deep which we are not at TE.. Gentry is lucky to be on the team. I do think our rookie OLB will stick and add the depth you are talking about.
    I sure hope our rookie OLB sticks. Depth is so key at that position for us.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.