Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Malik Hooker Sighting

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think we let him walk in that case and take the comp pick.

I don't think we'll allow ourselves to tie 2 tag-level guys at S. I wonder if that internal cap structure is why we didn't do the 5th year option with him....even if it would have likely been a small overpayment.
    i see combination of tight cap (worrying about who they gotta resign next year at what price) and underachieving. solid, but not worthy of what that contract would be...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Who's saying cut Edmunds? This is all about getting quality depth for cheap if they can do it.
    I just donít see much value in Edmunds that others see. All I see is poor tackling, coverage skills and ball awareness.

I truly believe he would be better suited as a S/LB hybrid type. It didnít work with Mark Barron and Iím not even sure if the Steelers are interested in filling that role again.

Legend

User Info Menu

Who's saying cut Edmunds? This is all about getting quality depth for cheap if they can do it.
    Exactly. The safety depth is dangerously thin.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    I just don’t see much value in Edmunds that others see. All I see is poor tackling, coverage skills and ball awareness.

I truly believe he would be better suited as a S/LB hybrid type. It didn’t work with Mark Barron and I’m not even sure if the Steelers are interested in filling that role again.
    Didn't he have one of the lowest missed tackle rate on the team last year?

I don't pay for stats, but my understanding was that he cut his missed tackle rate by like 2/3rds last season...maybe that wasn't the end of year stats?

I wonder if Edmunds will have a career path like Bud's (although I don't think he'll get the impact plays). A slow start that kind of gets us all to anchor on a particular level of performance. Then an improvement that we only notice slowly or in hindsight.

At least it looks like he may be following that trajectory re: tackles. Hard to tell with turnovers even though he did have a career high 2 ints last year. But one year isn't a great evaluation point for turnovers IMO because luck is so important in generating them.

Edited to add stats from Felt's link below.
    Looks like Edmunds was very good to elite in pre-collapse with a 2.2% miss rate. But got worse in games 11 to 16, finishing with a total miss rate of 8.1%. There was such a dramatic difference after week 10...which is the game Bud got hurt. I wonder if his role changed a bit after Bud got hurt? Or just the run D got worse after losing a very good run defender in Bud? Or maybe it's unrelated?
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 06-09-2021 at 11:26 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

I just donít see much value in Edmunds that others see. All I see is poor tackling, coverage skills and ball awareness.

I truly believe he would be better suited as a S/LB hybrid type. It didnít work with Mark Barron and Iím not even sure if the Steelers are interested in filling that role again.
    You might be surprised who had the highest broken/missed tackle rate in the Steelers secondary last season. Hint; it wasn't Edmunds.

Legend

User Info Menu

You might be surprised who had the highest broken/missed tackle rate in the Steelers secondary last season. Hint; it wasn't Edmunds.
    Did not look it up but I KNOW Minkah had plenty early. Considering the "you might be surprised" comment and that recall I'm gonna guess you are talking about him?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Did not look it up but I KNOW Minkah had plenty early. Considering the "you might be surprised" comment and that recall I'm gonna guess you are talking about him?
    When it came to tackling last year, Minkah was stinkah?

Legend

User Info Menu

I just don’t see much value in Edmunds that others see. All I see is poor tackling, coverage skills and ball awareness.

I truly believe he would be better suited as a S/LB hybrid type. It didn’t work with Mark Barron and I’m not even sure if the Steelers are interested in filling that role again.
    all you see is poor tackling? Really?

here is a nice breakdown of last season.
    https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...munds-nfl-news
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    all you see is poor tackling? Really?

here is a nice breakdown of last season.
    https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...munds-nfl-news
    Four things I find interesting here:
    (1) Minkah seems to have dramatically improved right when the rest of the team was lighting the tire fire; and
    (2) Neither safety seemed to get targeted that much after week 10.
    (3) Edmunds got torched against the Rats in the postponed game...dominated by one bad play. But otherwise had a pretty good season.
    (4) It's insane that Minkah got a pick on more than than 1 of every 5 passes thrown his way. I originally didn't like the trade...holy crap was I wrong.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Four things I find interesting here:
    (1) Minkah seems to have dramatically improved right when the rest of the team was lighting the tire fire; and
    (2) Neither safety seemed to get targeted that much after week 10.
    (3) Edmunds got torched against the Rats in the postponed game...dominated by one bad play. But otherwise had a pretty good season.
    (4) It's insane that Minkah got a pick on more than than 1 of every 5 passes thrown his way. I originally didn't like the trade...holy crap was I wrong.
    I think the Ravens play gets multiplied often by Edmunds detractors. Surely it happens all the time because it happened that one time right?

Its similar to Tomlin always losing to bad teams. Because it has happened a few times it ends up happening ALL THE TIME even tho his overall record shows he is pretty damn good at beating sub .500 teams.

Edmunds will never make some fans happy and that is fine but they should at least be honest about his game last year. He played solid last year. The stats show it, the film shows it.. but the agenda says otherwise.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?