Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Spygate

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    lmao at the Cheats cheating and the Steelers get blamed.. lol.

This place is amazing.

NFL is a business and owners arenít going to kill their revenue.

MLB and NBA did the same thing. At the end of the day its entertainment.

I just want to know how you stop a team from cheating or trying to cheat?
    What ever happened with the cover up of spy gate was good for the league. Even if owners loss games or Superbowls they were not going to allow spy gate to kill the league. It was to much money at stake to allow that to happen.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

yes.. people who love Trump are stupid.
    I don't believe that all the people that love Trump are stupid. Often times, I find they've been hook winked by him or have their own personal interests involved ie "afraid taxes will go up" with the other candidate.

The least of people's worries would taxes if his incompetence and poor leadership were allowed to continue to lead this country. But some people would cut off their noses to spite their faces. It's one thing that happens when people get overly emotional about various issues.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    What ever happened with the cover up of spy gate was good for the league. Even if owners loss games or Superbowls they were not going to allow spy gate to kill the league. It was to much money at stake to allow that to happen.
    Yeah, super good effect on the league ... you lose the integrity of the game. You reward whoever can figure out how to break the rules and get away with it. You send the message that there are no real consequences for those who win by cheating. Sure, you keep making money ... but as it settles in with people that it's not an honest sport, their interest begins to erode. I think we're seeing it with the younger generation.

Yeah, real good for the league.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

lmao at the Cheats cheating and the Steelers get blamed.. lol.
    Of course the bulk of the ire should be directed at the ones who carried out the crime. But let me give you an example that might resonate. Some thugs bust in your house and carry off some of your most prized possessions (electronics, expensive jewelry, etc). The cops looked into it, and turned up solid proof about who did the dirty deed -- your neighbor had surveillance video that clearly tells the story. But the cops burn the tapes and barely give the thieves a slap on the wrist, charging them with mischief and making them pay a mere $20.00 fine. Would you not be ticked off at the cops? Are they not in a way complicit?

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    NFL is a business and owners arenít going to kill their revenue.

MLB and NBA did the same thing. At the end of the day its entertainment.
    How far can they go with that? Script the whole thing? Fix every game?
    At some point, you've gotta think some of the fans might bail. Like they're doing with the NBA right now.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz"
    I just want to know how you stop a team from cheating or trying to cheat?
    Do you think it helps to do little or nothing to them when they're caught? I would think that if you hit them hard enough with punishment, it might deter some of it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

yes.. people who love Trump are stupid.
    Many who love Trump are stupid. Many who love Biden are stupid.

Plenty of stupid to go around.

If Trump really pressured the NFL to drop the Spygate investigation, then he's an even bigger scum than I already thought he was. Somehow, I doubt he had that much influence with Rog and the NFL owners back in the early 2000s. But he's still a corrupt individual, IMO.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Of course the bulk of the ire should be directed at the ones who carried out the crime. But let me give you an example that might resonate. Some thugs bust in your house and carry off some of your most prized possessions (electronics, expensive jewelry, etc). The cops looked into it, and turned up solid proof about who did the dirty deed -- your neighbor had surveillance video that clearly tells the story. But the cops burn the tapes and barely give the thieves a slap on the wrist, charging them with mischief and making them pay a mere $20.00 fine. Would you not be ticked off at the cops? Are they not in a way complicit?

How far can they go with that? Script the whole thing? Fix every game?
    At some point, you've gotta think some of the fans might bail. Like they're doing with the NBA right now.

Do you think it helps to do little or nothing to them when they're caught? I would think that if you hit them hard enough with punishment, it might deter some of it.
    Well I think what he is getting at is that if you're the NFL and you dish out a major penalty then you are acknowledging that the crime had a major impact on the integrity of the game, which could turn into a problem. We saw this first hand with the MLB and the PED scandal, would it have been better for MLB to let PED's go unpunished, I think you could argue that it may have been.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yeah, super good effect on the league ... you lose the integrity of the game. You reward whoever can figure out how to break the rules and get away with it. You send the message that there are no real consequences for those who win by cheating. Sure, you keep making money ... but as it settles in with people that it's not an honest sport, their interest begins to erode. I think we're seeing it with the younger generation.

The league is as popular as ever so the bottom line wasn't effected. We all still remain regardless of whatever happened.

The Pats and teams faced consequences.

Even the Steelers faced consequences for being violators of the rules. I believed the Steelers loss a 3rd round pick as a result if I remember correctly.

The 49ners knowingly violated the salary capp rules. I don't recall the fines they faced.

The reality is this. The acknowledgement of cheating by one team is "acceptable". The acknowledgment of cheating league wide would be less "acceptable". Often times fans don't really care about the rules as long as their team wins.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If Trump really pressured the NFL to drop the Spygate investigation, then he's an even bigger scum than I already thought he was. Somehow, I doubt he had that much influence with Rog and the NFL owners back in the early 2000s. But he's still a corrupt individual, IMO.
    Well he wasn't trying to convince Roger or the NFL, he was offering a campaign donation to a senator not to hold a congressional investigation into the NFL's handling of the situation.

Legend

User Info Menu

I bet if you asked the younger generation why they aren’t watching they will have like 5 other things before spygate comes up.

My coworker is mid 30’s and he grew up playing video games and watching youtube videos.

These younger kids have a ton of entertainment at their fingertips.

Most of us grew up with 13 channels and parents who watched football religiously.

I actually think CTE had a larger impact on the game. I hear a lot of parents saying they wont let their kids play football these days.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

pretty sure the OP is talking about Trump and the investigation in 2017.

Doubt Trump cared at all on the early 2000’s. Pretty sure he was climbing out of bankruptcies or doing BK commercials back then.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?