Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: So James Pierre is going to be there other starting Cornerback?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

So James Pierre is going to be the other starting Cornerback?

Looks that way as Sutton is ill equipped to play the outside. Too small, slow and slight. Although Pierre is a good story and assignment sound I worry is if got the recovery speed to start outside. We'll find out soon. Until then give me Nelson back, please. You don't screw around with lack of depth at CB.

What Ourlads' Scouting Services said about JAMES PIERRE: Florida Atlantic, 6000 183 4.56. Junior entry, two-year starter, Deerfield Beach, FL. Was honorable mention All-Conference USA in 2019. Primarily played zone including quarters, Cover 2 and 3. Also played some man coverage. Solid Cover 2 corner with ability to re-route and sink under intermediate routes and close voids in zones. Has a feel for the throwing lane while balancing multiple routes. Reads quarterback and receivers and has a burst to close on short routes. In off coverage has a controlled pedal to maintain cushion. Flashed a two hand jam in Cover 2 and gets separation on wide receiverís block. Eager to hit in run support and closes fast to gather and strike on a tackle. Made a lot of tackles playing hard corner. Struggles to stay in phase in man. Can be late reacting on route breaks and is often separated. Catch up speed is lacking against speedy receivers. In off coverage, cushion is often too big and gives up too much room to react in space. Loses leverage too easily at times. Length is attractive but is limited to a zone corner-primarily Cover 2. Needs development in other areas. 2019 stats: 44 T, 4.5 TFL, 4 PBU, 1 FF, 3 INT. OSR:27/29. Seventh round/PFA. (A-31 1/4, H-8 1/2, VJ-33.5, SS-DNP).
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 05-24-2021 at 07:51 AM.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

Legend

User Info Menu

Seems pretty clear that Sutton will play outside.

Didn't he play outside last season after Haden got hurt?

Hopefully Pierre pans out though.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Seems pretty clear that Sutton will play outside.

Didn't he play outside last season after Haden got hurt?

Hopefully Pierre pans out though.
    Yes. I'm not sure where the 'can't play outside' comment comes from. Now, will he be good enough full time? We will find out right quick. Buffalo's Diggs and Beasley will be a handful in the first game. Diggs had 10 catches for 130 against PIT. Beasley added another 40 or so yds.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Easy to see why they will give Sutten a shot at starting. He knows how to play the position within the confines of the defense. Will he be able to play well on a consistent basis is the question. Sometimes coaches don't know until the big lights go on.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Yes. I'm not sure where the 'can't play outside' comment comes from. Now, will he be good enough full time? We will find out right quick. Buffalo's Diggs and Beasley will be a handful in the first game. Diggs had 10 catches for 130 against PIT. Beasley added another 40 or so yds.
    Our defense was doing well early in that game but the offense kept going 3 and out. Would have been a different outcome if the offense wasn’t so bad early.

Sutton is another “ wait & see” situation on this team.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post

Short, Slight, not fast. Sure put him outside on man and see what happens. He's better suited as an inside slot guy or off man vs. a #3-#4 WR and watch not to match him with a burner or someone much bigger. I'm not saying sucks, just what he's suited for.
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 05-24-2021 at 01:07 PM.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Steven Nelson didn't play well at all last year, bad actually...He got totally exposed when Haden event out a few games, and he had to be the top Dog...His game is not near as good as his game! A reason he still isn't signed!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Disco1981 View Post
    Steven Nelson didn't play well at all last year, bad actually...He got totally exposed when Haden event out a few games, and he had to be the top Dog...His game is not near as good as his game! A reason he still isn't signed!
    I think this is a bit like trashing an ex-girlfriend.

He wasn't elite, but he was pretty good. Made up half the best CB duo we've had in basically forever.

I think being released last into the worst UFA market in recent memory has a lot to do with why he isn't signed.

Seems like the corners available might be hoping that a little bit of cap room gets freed up after Jul 1. Or maybe the contract offers are low enough that it makes more sense to just sit around and see if an injury happens and a team gets desperate.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Disco1981 View Post
    I believe your analysis is off about Nelson. I think Nelson had an over all good season. He was solid. His worst game was probably against the Bills. Diggs is a good WR. No shame in losing a battle to him.