Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: So James Pierre is going to be there other starting Cornerback?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    It is what happens when people FEAR YOU Joel. Next season QBs were throwing at receivers who were COVERED for fear of a 4.68 Rhonde. Same way Deon Sanders made Larry Brown a SB MVP. Result? Tampa has 40 picks en-route to the SB. Fewer picks for Rhonde was a fine sacrifice.

And you know Tomlin never coached Brooks how?

Watch the man's HOF speech. He thanks Tomlin BY NAME my friend.
    Are you pulling my leg or are you simply that uniformed ? Tomlin sure talks about coaching Brooks. Laughing A DB Coach ( Not the DC ) coaching a LB, um right.

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/10/mi...-ever-coached/
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Are you pulling my leg or are you simply that uniformed ? Tomlin sure talks about coaching Brooks. Laughing A DB Coach ( Not the DC ) coaching a LB, um right.

ANYBODY can coach you Joel. We all know Tomlin was DB coach. Doesn't mean he was not used beyond that. Just perhaps Tomlin was such an EXCELLENT teacher, he might have taught pass defense concepts beyond the secondary? That is just a possible way he was used.

All I know is he DID coach Derrick Brooks. How do I know this?

Believe Brooks.

I will repeat again, please do your best to grasp the language.

DERRICK BROOKS THANKED MIKE TOMLIN BY NAME IN HIS HALL OF FAME SPEECH!!!!

Why did he thank Tomlin Joel? Did he thank A COACH because he bore his children? Did Tomlin buy lemonade from his kids stand? Did Tomlin begin paying linebacker fines long before he did Harrison and Brooks was paid by Tomlin?

Clearly Tomlin was such an EXCELLENT coach his actually coaching went beyond his one unit Joel.

You thank coaches who COACHED YOU Joel. How difficult is that?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post

I believe people in the room where it happened, the room where happened, The room where it happened.

Joel was never in the room where it happened the room where it happened the room where it happened.

Tomlin and Brooks they know for sure.
    More than anyone does outside the door.

When there is a debate as to what really happened?
    Listen to those in the room where it happened.

Last edited by Captain Lemming; 06-15-2021 at 11:43 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

ANYBODY can coach you Joel. We all know Tomlin was DB coach. Doesn't mean he was not used beyond that. Just perhaps Tomlin was such an EXCELLENT teacher, he might have taught pass defense concepts beyond the secondary? That is just a possible way he was used.

All I know is he DID coach Derrick Brooks. How do I know this?

Believe Brooks.

I will repeat again, please do your best to grasp the language.

DERRICK BROOKS THANKED MIKE TOMLIN BY NAME IN HIS HALL OF FAME SPEECH!!!!

Why did he thank Tomlin Joel? Did he thank A COACH because he bore his children? Did Tomlin buy lemonade from his kids stand? Did Tomlin begin paying linebacker fines long before he did Harrison and Brooks was paid by Tomlin?

Clearly Tomlin was such an EXCELLENT coach his actually coaching went beyond his one unit Joel.

You thank coaches who COACHED YOU Joel. How difficult is that?

When they were in Tampa Bay, Lynch said, Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden would have his assistants take turns going over the game plan for an upcoming opponent in front of the entire team.
    "I remember when Mike walked up there, offensive linemen were coming up to me and saying 'This guy is for real,' " Lynch said. "You saw him in that setting and how he commanded the room (and) that was the first time you thought he could be a head coach."
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Well he was a KC reject that WE made look better than he actually is. Clearly we have COACHED UP Sutton to the point we don't need him.
    Does not negate the fact that he had BY FAR his best season as a Steeler.
    Cap, I generally agree with the premise of your post.

But I think Nelson is only gone because of the cap. Not because we think Sutton is so good we don't need him anymore.

I don't think Nelson gets cut in a non-pandemic cap reduced world.

But we'll never know I guess.

Legend

User Info Menu

I believe people in the room where it happened, the room where happened, The room where it happened.

Joel was never in the room where it happened the room where it happened the room where it happened.

Tomlin and Brooks they know for sure.
    More than anyone does outside the door.

When there is a debate as to what really happened?
    Listen to those in the room where it happened.

haha.. Joel has to be an alias of someone else on here.

I remember another guy saying to trust that he knew what happened in a close door meeting because he didn’t believe what Rooney said in an interview regarding Tomlin being on the hot seat.

Why believe Rooneys words when we could trust the convo in a room none of us were in by a poster who hates Tomlin?
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    You hire coordinators for Xs and Os. You hire head coaches for Leadership and setting a culture.

Generals don't teach soldiers basic marksmanship or how to maneuver. They provide a vision of the operations and set the parameters within which a mission is executed. They then inspire through leadership.
    I believe that this is the core of the Steelers philosophy at HC. At least for the last 2 hires (I don't know much about the Noll hire).

Both BC and MT were more about leadership and culture than Xs and Os.

And both had their best teams when they had good to great coordinators for O and D. And I don't think that can happen with the egos of HCs that are also coordinators on their own teams.

I think that's also part of the reason that we've hired younger less established guys in Cowher and Tomlin. Make them "run" the show in a situation where they would be foolish not to be taking input from good coordinators (Capers & Erhardt for Cower / LeBeau & Arians for Tomlin).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Cap, I generally agree with the premise of your post.

But I think Nelson is only gone because of the cap. Not because we think Sutton is so good we don't need him anymore.

I don't think Nelson gets cut in a non-pandemic cap reduced world.

But we'll never know I guess.
    Sure it is cap related...but word was out that Sutton was going to get a chance to compete for that role. It was being said BEFORE any talk of Nelson being gone.

IF Sutton was not impressing...I do not think for one minute Nelson gets let go.

It IS a cost thing true. However, if you really think Sutton has a chance to overtake Nelson...that is a lot of coin.

Part of the equation is that the team was not convinced Nelson was better.

If there is no Sutton, Nelson's value would prevent his release.

You talk Juju.
    Note that it happened IMMEDIATELY after Sutton was signed?

This is where you miss the point. It was about cost true.

But the team likes Sutton WAY MORE than people think. Even if they are not sure Sutton is better, they think it is close. Sutton on the cheap is the better value in their minds than a costly Nelson.

Until Sutton signed...Nelson was going nowhere. It was his signing that made Nelson and his big price tag expendable.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 06-15-2021 at 12:37 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

When they were in Tampa Bay, Lynch said, Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden would have his assistants take turns going over the game plan for an upcoming opponent in front of the entire team.
    "I remember when Mike walked up there, offensive linemen were coming up to me and saying 'This guy is for real,' " Lynch said. "You saw him in that setting and how he commanded the room (and) that was the first time you thought he could be a head coach."
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 06-15-2021 at 01:17 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Sure it is cap related...but word was out that Sutton was going to get a chance to compete for that role. It was being said BEFORE any talk of Nelson being gone.

IF Sutton was not impressing...I do not think for one minute Nelson gets let go.

It IS a cost thing true. However, if you really think Sutton has a chance to overtake Nelson...that is a lot of coin.

Part of the equation is that the team was not convinced Nelson was better.

If there is no Sutton, Nelson's value would prevent his release.

You talk Juju.
    Note that it happened IMMEDIATELY after Sutton was signed?

This is where you miss the point. It was about cost true.

But the team likes Sutton WAY MORE than people think. Even if they are not sure Sutton is better, they think it is close. Sutton on the cheap is the better value in their minds than a costly Nelson.

Until Sutton signed...Nelson was going nowhere. It was his signing that made Nelson and his big price tag expendable.
    I agree that we like Sutton. And I think he has been good when playing outside. And I hope he can do that consistently as the #2 CB this year, and potentially the #1 CB next year.

I also think that we like Nelson.

But that we needed to free up cap space and they apparently like Haden more than Nelson.

As we've said before, we'll never know the whole story here.

But I think it's hard to argue that Nelson wouldn't be on the team this year if not for the pandemic (I know that's not what you're arguing). I think we probably would have then tried to resign him for next season in that case because Haden would likely be out the door and then we'd have Nelson and Sutton on the outside.

But it's all just speculation.