Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: So James Pierre is going to be there other starting Cornerback?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Didn't he have 4 season under his belt before Tomlin became his coach? Yep

This is not a guy Tomlin pounded the table, he inherited Barber, who started 39 games prior to seeing Tomlin and history shows did fine before and after him.

So I'd hold back a bit on Tomlin coaching him fantastically. The numbers say the similar for the coach before and after him. What did Barber himself say? That Tampa team had Sapp, Lynch, and Brooks. Three hall of fame level players on it. Hardly the best DB Tomlin coached or was a coach on the roster for. Best corner he coached as a DB coach? Probably on Tampa.
    I answered the question. I also don't care about what players a coach inherited. A coach has to put in a lot of time and work regardless of the situation he's hired into. Some coaches succeed and most eventually fail. That's the nature of the Not For Long league. Tomlin wouldn't be a HC for 15 years if he were terrible. Again, that's the nature of a cut throat business like the NFL. Either you help the organization compete and win or you don't as a HC.

Tomlin is a championship caliber coach. He wasn't a DB coach for long because people in the business realized Tomlin's potential as a HC and leader. That should be the end of the discussion but the nay sayers continue to doubt Tomlin as a HC and leader for a number of reasons after 15 years of winning. Can't do much for people that pay attention to the game for years and remain stuck on stupid.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Politics here? Good job Wiz Biden looked like he was falling asleep at the table and can barley make it down a fight of straights by himself recently. They say he has very lower wonderlic. He is having his own press conference, probably because he can't do one live.

Not much of a draft grade here, he's lucky to be in the business. A figure head head coach type, best suited for an owner who wants a top 3 draft pick.
    Yes the hard hitting political topic of Joe Biden playing CB in the NFL.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    I meant expand into a starting role, not into other roles such as slot back or sub packages. I think you and Joel either overestimate Pierre or underestimate Sutton. I am not quite as enthusiastic as you guys are. He hasn't shown me enough to jump on his bandwagon with both feet. I agree that he looks better than Layne. Layne has demonstrated no progression though. The Steelers need DBS ; so if he starts I think it will be because of injury.
    It's true that Pierre hasn't yet shown a lot ... but Sutton hasn't exactly evidenced that he can be top dog on the outside, has he? I'd say both have yet to prove their mettle.

I still wouldn't be all that surprised if we brought in a veteran CB before the season starts.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Ronde Barber.
    Not here to bash Tomlin, but Barber was already doing well at the pro level before MT ever got a chance to coach him. Guess next we'll have to give Tomlin most of the credit for Polamalu becoming the player he was.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Not here to bash Tomlin, but Barber was already doing well at the pro level before MT ever got a chance to coach him. Guess next we'll have to give Tomlin most of the credit for Polamalu becoming the player he was.
    Boom……….

And once again reaching back for more than a decade cause when he got players he drafted, he hadn’t done jack.

Had to steal Haden, Nelson and Minka from other teams to make a credible secondary. Tomlin is terrible at drafting & developing secondaries.
    Last edited by Steel Maniac; 06-13-2021 at 07:28 PM.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Boom……….

And once again reaching back for more than a decade cause when he got players he drafted, he hadn’t done jack.

Had to steal Haden, Nelson and Minka from other teams to make a credible secondary. Tomlin is terrible at developing secondaries.
    It doesn't bother me to get DBs from other teams ... just get good ones, however you can. If you can't draft the position, go after FAs, or make a trade.

Legend

User Info Menu

Had to steal Haden, Nelson and Minka from other teams to make a credible secondary.
    so now it matters how you acquire talented players?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Boom……….

Had to steal Haden, Nelson and Minka from other teams to make a credible secondary. Tomlin is terrible at drafting & developing secondaries.
    Dude you really need a perspective adjustment. I don't know what "done jack means"? If winning consistently and making the post season consistently to give the team an opportunity is the standard then Tomlin has reached that quota.

The Steeelers also drafted several high quality players under Tomlin.

They reached a historical quality defense with Tomlin as HC in 2008. Probably statistically better than any Steelers defenses since Noll was HC.

If winning Superbowls is the ONLY measure than Tomlin and EVERY HC and organizational in the league failed.

I think you need a perspective adjustment. Not one team in the league won more than 11% of the Superbowls in 55 attempts.

You refuse or can't acknowledge some of the team's accomplishments with Tomlin as HC. It's not easy to coach a team to 11 wins in a row.

I get that the post seasons were a disappointment. But the post season disappointments were mostly due to the players poor performances. Why is it difficult for some fans to differentiate between poor coaching or poor player performances?

I guess some fans are just to lazy and like to blame everything on the HC?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    It doesn't bother me to get DBs from other teams ... just get good ones, however you can. If you can't draft the position, go after FAs, or make a trade.
    That doesn't mean that Tomlin didn't have anything more to offer established vets.

Tomlin presented John Lynch, an established probowler at the time, a tape of 75 plays he thought he could improve upon the year before when Tomlin became 2ndary coach of the Bucs. Lynch read the details as an established pro bowler and was sold on Tomlin.

I am an individual that believes that every single person that comes into your life can have a negative or positive impact on your life/career.

I've lived it so I reflect and realize all the individuals that made me a successful and mostly quality individual.

I know that Tomlin can lead this organization to another championship. The biggest question mark is will he be able to help the organization gain the necessary pieces and also the luck necessary to accomplish that goal?

I believe that Tomlin thought that last season was the Steelers year. It's a rare occurrence for a team to start the season 11-0. I think he was "hurt" by the Steelers poor showing vs the Browns. Most of what happen vs the Browns was beyond Tomlin's control.

Anyway..........

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Boom……….

All teams get players via FA, etc. We didn’t steal anyone, we got Haden off the waiver wire, Nelson via FA, and gave a #1 draft pick for Minka.

I actually think this is a strength of Tomlin, getting players like Minka to want play for him.
    Last edited by Chucktownsteeler; 06-13-2021 at 09:35 PM.