Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers First Losing Season under Tomlin?

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers First Losing Season under Tomlin?

Some great points, counterpoints on the Steelers possible first losing season under Tomlin. History isn't favoring the Steelers based on hardest strength of schedule for teams in the last five seasons. The two big factors in my mind are Roethlisberger's performance (which they talk about) and injuries. The key on the injury side of things is either getting lucky or depth of roster. I don't think the Steelers depth of roster is all that impressive just now so they are going to have to get lucky.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It's possible for sure. I agree that the keys are Ben and injuries. Those have been the keys for a while. And if we have a losing season, I won't be calling for Tomlin's head.

I really want to see things improve and adapt as the season goes on, even if it's a losing season. That was just painful to watch us keep doing the same things on offense last season, even though it became clear by mid-season that it wasn't going to keep working.

I have a gut feeling about this roster that it could surprise us. We tend to play to the level of competition, so having a tough schedule isn't the end. Especially since there's always some surprise teams that go from good to bad and vice versa.

After covid year, I really want to see the team in person again. Training camp and a few games.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the pre-season possibility is higher than at any other time in Tomlin's career. Although maybe not as high as it was right after Ben went down.

The defense is worse on paper with losses of an impactful OLB, a CB that was either our best or second best option, and one of the better slot corners in the league.

The offense is putting down big bets on an OL that will be very unproven aside from an older vet that looked bad last year.

And Ben looked very bad over the last 2 months or so of the season.

A month or so ago, I think the over/under was 9 wins. And I think that's a really good line if you're not allowed to pick the push. I picked under in the poll Hawaiian (?) posted because I want to see the offense having success before I buy into the idea that it's going to be greatly improved.

Legend

User Info Menu

As critical as I may seem of Ben.. he is still a really good QB when he is on his game.

I think his experience and the weapons we have at WR, TE and RB give us 9 wins..

and I think Watt and Minkah and company can get us another 2 or 3.

I see us as a 11-6 or 10-7. Not sure that gets us into the playoffs but it should.

While we crashed and burned down the stretch I think Ben’s knee was worse than anyone wanted to admit after the Dallas game.

Dotson is the key, he is the one who really makes me believe our OL will be improved.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    As critical as I may seem of Ben.. he is still a really good QB when he is on his game.

I think his experience and the weapons we have at WR, TE and RB give us 9 wins..

I see us as a 11-6 or 10-7. Not sure that gets us into the playoffs but it should.

While we crashed and burned down the stretch I think Ben’s knee was worse than anyone wanted to admit after the Dallas game.

Dotson is the key, he is the one who really makes me believe our OL will be improved.
    I do agree with this post. Having Ben out there is like having a coach on the field. He has seen it all. I believe it comes down to the O-line with Dotson, Greene, and DeCastro.

Also, I am very interested in the new look offense. I am throwing everything out on this offense and the past 2 season under Fitchner. Even counting Jow Walton, Fitchner may go down in Steelers lore as our worst OC ever.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I agree. And the 2 keys with Ben are staying healthy, and as important, not having to throw 60+ times a game. That has never been our recipe for success. I'm really excited to see Harris and hoping he can be the guy who takes a major load off Ben's shoulders.

If Ben stays healthy and is able to throw 30-ish times a game, this offense can be really good.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I agree. And the 2 keys with Ben are staying healthy, and as important, not having to throw 60+ times a game. That has never been our recipe for success. I'm really excited to see Harris and hoping he can be the guy who takes a major load off Ben's shoulders.

If Ben stays healthy and is able to throw 30-ish times a game, this offense can be really good.
    I think people have a skewed view of this team because of the way we finished.

Najee isn’t some mid round slug at RB. His presence is going to cause nightmares for defenses. He is like Bell, when you can split a 3 down RB out wide it causes nightmares for defenses.

As long as ugly Ben doesn’t show up for 8 games I just don’t see us being this terrible team that some are predicting.

The schedule is tough but these other teams have also lost players as well.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

I think people have a skewed view of this team because of the way we finished.

Najee isn’t some mid round slug at RB. His presence is going to cause nightmares for defenses. He is like Bell, when you can split a 3 down RB out wide it causes nightmares for defenses.

As long as ugly Ben doesn’t show up for 8 games I just don’t see us being this terrible team that some are predicting.

The schedule is tough but these other teams have also lost players as well.
    I think Harris is going to be good.

But I think we need ways to make defenses honestly defend more than the first 5 yards past the line of scrimmage.

I'm not sure Harriss can do that alone. While he is seems to be very versatile it does sound like the downside of his game is a lack of speed. This is just like Bell (who was great for most if not all of his time with us). This doesn't mean that I don't think he'll be good.

But we also need to be able to throw deeper balls that get caught by receivers. If we can force defenses to honestly defend the field, then I think the offense can be good.

Legend

User Info Menu

While we crashed and burned down the stretch I think Benís knee was worse than anyone wanted to admit after the Dallas game.

Agree on all points. A full year removed from surgery and the addition of Najee I think we will do very well
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm in a different camp of what is key to the success of this team, whatever that looks like in September. I don't see Ben as a primary key, all the Steelers need from Ben is to manage the game, let the running game and defense win games. All teams get injuries so I'm not counting that as a key either but the performance of the roster depth will be a key to success.

So, for me, the keys are:

Improve the running game significantly, which means the offensive line can't be offensive
    Don't let the loss of good defenders make the defense average
    Limit turnovers, this team won't be able to overcome large self-induced deficits (see the Browns playoff game)

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 05-20-2021 at 12:53 PM.

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

1.24 Najee Harris, RB, Alabama
    2.55 Pat Freirmuth, TE, Penn State
    3.87 Kendrick Green, G/C, Illinois
    4.128 Dan Moore Jr, OT, Texas A&M
    4.140 Buddy Johnson, ILB, Texas A&M
    5.156 Isaiahh Loudermilk, DT, Wisconsin
    6.216 Quincy Roche, LB, Miami
    7.245 Tre Norwood, CB, Oklahoma
    7.254 Pressley Harvin III, P, GA Tech