Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 86

Thread: Rookie Harris, gives Tomlin one of his best compliments

  1. #41
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    they didn’t mention his friendliness... you did.

    just because you view Tomlin as being “friendly” doesn’t make it the equivalent of leadership.

    You may not like Tomlin’s style but a lot of players, coaches and important people in our organization do.
    But you said , in a previous post, they mentioned it . Now you are saying they didn’t.
    So what story are you going to go with?
    Update:
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and now 50% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

  2. #42
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Not surprising.Tomlin has always had the reputation as being a players coach.
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    yep.. which makes it weird for Joel to ask if any vets had positive things to say about Tomlin.
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    you can post lies and rumors about Tomlin...

    but anyone who implies they have never heard vets speak highly of Tomlin’s leadership os either trolling, a kid, or just plain ole ignorant.
    ^^^^ this was said to Joel.

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I guess it depends if you think being friendly with players is considered leadership.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    But you said , in a previous post, they mentioned it . Now you are saying they didn’t.
    So what story are you going to go with?
    never did I ever say anything about the FO liking his friendliness.

    I said they like his leadership.

    You were the one trying to equate friendliness to leadership. I never said a word about friendliness.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  3. #43
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Ike was "one of Cowhers players dude".
    It was just that he like MANY others were MUCH BETTER under Tomlin.
    Much our the teams best players that Tomlin inherited were Cowher players. Ike had Cowher as the coach for a very short time, like three years. Just looked it up, Ike was drafted in April 2003, Tomlin hired in Jan 2007. A cup of coffee shorter than the average NFL career. A few Steelers players by the way ripped Tomlin's for his playoff loss to the Jags for over working them in the playoffs. Guys under Steelers contract giving it to their new coach. That is pretty rare.

    Still how come so many X Steelers not working with Tomlin speak up against him so often? Saying kudos to your boss for a new contract by a player who's under contract with that team is reading between the lines stuff.
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 05-20-2021 at 01:38 PM.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

  4. #44
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Much our the teams best players that Tomlin inherited were Cowher players. Ike had Cowher as the coach for a very short time, like three years. Just looked it up, Ike was drafted in April 2003, Tomlin hired in Jan 2007. A cup of coffee shorter than the average NFL career. A few Steelers players by the way ripped Tomlin's for his playoff loss to the Jags for over working them in the playoffs. Guys under Steelers contract giving it to their new coach. That is pretty rare.

    Still how come so many X Steelers not working with Tomlin speak up against him so often? Saying kudos to your boss for a new contract by a player who's under contract with that team is reading between the lines stuff.
    So your argument is now something like "Guys drafted in 2003 or before aren't really Cowher's players because they barely had a cup of coffee in the league before Tomlin was hired"?

    I'm just trying to keep everything straight here on the ever evolving "Cowher's players" argument.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 05-20-2021 at 01:58 PM.

  5. #45
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    So your argument is now something like "Guys drafted in 2003 or before aren't really Cowher's players because they barely had a cup of coffee in the league before Tomlin was hired"?

    I'm just trying to keep everything straight here.
    Did I say that?

    Haha, and I thought you'd quote me by saying if Holmes was out of bounds in the end zone late in the game, and turns it over on downs, that Super Bowl Ring, won mostly by Cowher players make Tomlin 0-15 on winning suer bowls. Ya want talk about that?

    Ben, Troy, Faneca A Smith, H Ward, Miller are all Cowher players. Take the 2007 draft class any beyond for Tomlin. Okay?
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

  6. #46
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Did I say that?

    Haha, and I thought you'd quote me by saying if Holmes was out of bounds in the end zone late in the game, and turns it over on downs, that Super Bowl Ring, won mostly by Cowher players make Tomlin 0-15 on winning suer bowls. Ya want talk about that?

    Ben, Troy, Faneca A Smith, H Ward, Miller are all Cowher players. Take the 2007 draft class any beyond for Tomlin. Okay?
    I think that makes sense (although I think the argument is generally poor).

    But when asked about why Ike was better under Tomlin (when you didn't know he also played under Cowher), you seemed to be arguing that it was because he'd only had "a cup of coffee" under Cowher for 3 years (which is actually longer than the average NFL career, not that it's all that important for the argument).
    https://work.chron.com/long-average-...yer-12643.html

    I've assumed you've since realized that if Ike wasn't "Cowher's player" because Cowher couldn't have an impact on a player drafted in 2003, that one drafted in 2004 couldn't really be considered "Cowher's player" either.

    You said that players said that Tomlin pushed his players too hard in the playoffs against the Jags. Do you know what they meant by that? Was it that they practiced too hard during the bye week before?

    If so, would it then be logically consistent to think that resting guys in the last week of the season this year was good coaching?

    I'm just trying to understand what the parameters are for good coaching in a way that's not just "blame Tomlin for everything that ever goes wrong".

  7. #47
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think that makes sense (although I think the argument is generally poor).

    But when asked about why Ike was better under Tomlin (when you didn't know he also played under Cowher), you seemed to be arguing that it was because he'd only had "a cup of coffee" under Cowher for 3 years (which is actually longer than the average NFL career, not that it's all that important for the argument).
    https://work.chron.com/long-average-...yer-12643.html

    I've assumed you've since realized that if Ike wasn't "Cowher's player" because Cowher couldn't have an impact on a player drafted in 2003, that one drafted in 2004 couldn't really be considered "Cowher's player" either.

    You said that players said that Tomlin pushed his players too hard in the playoffs against the Jags. Do you know what they meant by that? Was it that they practiced too hard during the bye week before?

    If so, would it then be logically consistent to think that resting guys in the last week of the season this year was good coaching?

    I'm just trying to understand what the parameters are for good coaching in a way that's not just "blame Tomlin for everything that ever goes wrong".
    Also, we were both counting Ike's years with Cowher wrong.

    Ike played 4 years with Cowher.

    This makes sense because Ben (drafted 2004) played 3 years with him (AFCC loss, SB win, missed playoffs)

    -------------Ike drafted Apr 2003
    2003
    2004
    2005
    2006
    --------------Tomlin hired in Jan 2007
    2008
    etc.

  8. #48
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Did I say that?

    Haha, and I thought you'd quote me by saying if Holmes was out of bounds in the end zone late in the game, and turns it over on downs, that Super Bowl Ring, won mostly by Cowher players make Tomlin 0-15 on winning suer bowls. Ya want talk about that?
    You need to be careful where you tread. 2008 team MADE amazing plays to EARN win a SB win.

    2005 team doesn't make a SB without the leagues best kicker choking. They got in because a kicker blew it.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 05-20-2021 at 02:28 PM.

  9. #49
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Also, we were both counting Ike's years with Cowher wrong.

    Ike played 4 years with Cowher.

    This makes sense because Ben (drafted 2004) played 3 years with him (AFCC loss, SB win, missed playoffs)

    -------------Ike drafted Apr 2003
    2003
    2004
    2005
    2006
    --------------Tomlin hired in Jan 2007
    2008
    etc.
    Ike is NOT Cowhers player but Ben who Cowher did not want and was drafted in 2004 is? Joel you just need to quit man. You look foolish.

  10. #50
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    You need to be careful where you tread. 2008 team MADE amazing plays to EARN win a SB win.

    2005 team doesn't make a SB without the leagues best kicker choking.
    He was obviously intimidated by the chin!

    If they would have had a kicker that drafted by Colbert or Donahoe (only while on the Steelers in proximity to Cowher) then they would have beaten us and gone on to with the SB. And every SB after that. Because if Tomlin can win ONE SB with Steelers drafted players, it must be super easy to win all the SBs with even one of those guys. Way to go Tomlin...you screwed that up too!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •