Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Montana says the Steelers said no when he reached out for a trade in 93

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    does that really matter? He mentioned us by name and basically admitted it was where he wanted to go before KC.
    It does matter. I’m sure he wanted to go to a winner but he would take any team that offered him the money and draft .
    Sounds like some here aretrying to use this against cowhers..... unsuccessfully.
    Update:
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and now 50% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Didn’t the Chiefs with Montana knock us out of the playoffs? The DB Bell got ejected I think for kicking a Chief.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Yes, I am an old geeeeeeezer.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    Didn’t the Chiefs with Montana knock us out of the playoffs? The DB Bell got ejected I think for kicking a Chief.

Yes, they did. We had the game won, but lot it 27-24 O’Donnell threw three tough down passes that day. Montana outside of the 4th quarter wasn't very good. We lost from mistakes, but the loss was to legends such as Montana, Allen, and Lowry, so years later it doesn't look so bad.

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article126403909.html
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

Legend

User Info Menu

Why is this a story? Is someone looking to rewrite history?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    We'll there was talk of us getting Montana in free agency. A Pittsburgh kid going from Bill Walsh to Marty ball. The Steelers had this game.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    It does matter. Iím sure he wanted to go to a winner but he would take any team that offered him the money and draft .
    Sounds like some here aretrying to use this against cowhers..... unsuccessfully.
    No it was just an interesting quote.

The fact that Cowher cant evaluate the QB position is beyond debate long before this. All we need is 2004 to know that.

With the above being true, it is going to come up when discussing the topic. But it was not "why" it came up.

BTW, you do realize it was your fellow Tomlin basher NJ who tied in Cowhers inability to evaluate QBs to this story?

He is just telling it like it is. Of all of ya'll I give him props for not buying the myth that we were a BC away from a dynasty.

Neither Cowher nor Tomlin were perfect.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    We'll there was talk of us getting Montana in free agency. A Pittsburgh kid going from Bill Walsh to Marty ball. The Steelers had this game.
    OK. thanks.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    its a story I have never heard before..

and Montana is from the area.

Since we were discussing O’Donnell and someone said we were cheap I tried to google the contract comparisons and this story popped up

wondered if anyone else knew about it.. and its May.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    When Cowher took over he did broom an all and I don't think the team would have done any better with 37-38 year old QB who's arm went South. It would have been cool to have him, but he was a better fit playing Marty ball on a team older players that fit his style. Neil took his team to an AFC championship fame and a Super bowl, at this age Montana was done playing only 2 years with Kansas City so I think Bill made the right move.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MontJo01.htm
    Cowher is from the Marty Ball coaching tree.. so I donít think it wouldíve been much of a difference.

It was definitely age.. and money. Neil was still on a rookie contract.

but its also another example of us trusting a young QB over an aging Hofer.

imagine years later we find out Aaron Rodgers reached out at the tail end of his career and we say no... because we trust Mason or some new young QB.

We will wonder what could have been..
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?