Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Montana says the Steelers said no when he reached out for a trade in 93

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    "Undefeated in four Super Bowl appearances, Montana completed 83 of 122 passes for 1,142 yards and 11 touchdowns with no interceptions, earning him a Super Bowl record passer rating of 127.8. The first player ever to win three Super Bowl MVP awards."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Montana
    127.8 passer rating in the Super Bowl. Amazing!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    We probably don't lose to San Diego in the AFCC game and we would probably have beaten the Cowboys in the SB. I don't see Joe throwing the 2 picks O-Donnell did.

This isn't the greatest organization when evaluating QBs: Dawson, Unitas, Marino come to mind.
    those INT weren't on NOD, but people still blame him for throwing the ball where he was supposed to and those backup WR ran the wrong route... i imagine that's why NOD wanted to leave...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

i do wonder what it would have cost to get Joe Montana... imagine if NE had gone with Garrapolo - what would a Tom Brady trade have cost?
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Pretty sure Montana never threw an INT in his 4 SBís.

Canít say we would win the SD game though because it seemed like our defenses always failed us in those championship games with blown coverages.

Still furious at the SD tight end for drinking a coconut after running free for a wide open TD.
    You are correct, neither Montana nor Young ever threw an int. In a Super Bowl.

I believe Kaep threw at least 1.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Eh, I wonder how many other teams he reached out to and what was the asking price.
    Update:
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and now 50% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Eh, I wonder how many other teams he reached out to and what was the asking price.
    does that really matter? He mentioned us by name and basically admitted it was where he wanted to go before KC.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Montana ended up signing a 3 year contract for $10 million with the Chiefs.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Montana ended up signing a 3 year contract for $10 million with the Chiefs.
    The numbers are so skewed these days I’m not even sure if that was considered a good deal back then.

Aikmen signed a deal for 8 years/$50 mill in 1993.

These old salaries crack me up. Looking back at these numbers and hearing “highest in NFL history” lol
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

hmmm 1993 huh?

I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW THE DETAILS

i guess this could further the argument against bill regarding his assessments of QBs.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    hmmm 1993 huh?

I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW THE DETAILS

i guess this could further the argument against bill regarding his assessments of QBs.
    When Cowher took over he did broom an all and I don't think the team would have done any better with 37-38 year old QB who's arm went South. It would have been cool to have him, but he was a better fit playing Marty ball on a team older players that fit his style. Neil took his team to an AFC championship fame and a Super bowl, at this age Montana was done playing only 2 years with Kansas City so I think Bill made the right move.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MontJo01.htm
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.