Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Montana says the Steelers said no when he reached out for a trade in 93

Legend

User Info Menu

Montana says the Steelers said no when he reached out for a trade in 93

"Oh yeah," said Montana. "I tried to go there before...when I waslooking at Kansas City and they, they said no. I think (Neil) O'Donnell was still there..."
    "Wait," Patrick interrupted. "Steelers said no because they had Neil O'Donnell?"
    "Yeah. Neil O'Donnell," replied Montana

If this is true.. wow. Pretty shocking. Never heard about this before.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...been-71327898/

Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    "Oh yeah," said Montana. "I tried to go there before...when I waslooking at Kansas City and they, they said no. I think (Neil) O'Donnell was still there..."
    "Wait," Patrick interrupted. "Steelers said no because they had Neil O'Donnell?"
    "Yeah. Neil O'Donnell," replied Montana

If this is true.. wow. Pretty shocking. Never heard about this before.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...been-71327898/

I've never heard this either.

But I don't necessarily think it was the wrong decision.

NOD was selected to the probowl in 1992 and we won the division.

His future looked bright at the time, and de had good years from 93 - 95 with us.

Montana played well his last two years (1993 & 1994), but going with young guy you think is going to be successful is probably reasonable over an old HOF QB.

This isn't anywhere near the same ballpark as not drafting Dan M.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I've never heard this either.

But I don't necessarily think it was the wrong decision.

NOD was selected to the probowl in 1992 and we won the division.

His future looked bright at the time, and de had good years from 93 - 95 with us.

Montana played well his last two years (1993 & 1994), but going with young guy you think is going to be successful is probably reasonable over an old HOF QB.

This isn't anywhere near the same ballpark as not drafting Dan M.
    I know age was a factor.. but still, its Montana.

I could see us having more success with Montana with the roster we had in place.

Just wild I never heard this story before.

Legend

User Info Menu

I heard rumblings of this. Also heard Marino reached out towards the end of his career.

Both were past their prime but it would have been cool to see them in the Black and Gold.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    I heard rumblings of this. Also heard Marino reached out towards the end of his career.

Both were past their prime but it would have been cool to see them in the Black and Gold.
    I’d take “past their prime” over “unknowns” or a “never was”

One could say it was early in Cowhers career and he didn’t want to compete with that type of star power in a locker room he was trying to control..

but it could also be more evidence of Cowher just not putting a ton of stock in the QB position.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If this trade had been made more than likely we would have 1 or 2 more Lombardi's .

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

We probably don't lose to San Diego in the AFCC game and we would probably have beaten the Cowboys in the SB. I don't see Joe throwing the 2 picks O-Donnell did.

This isn't the greatest organization when evaluating QBs: Dawson, Unitas, Marino come to mind.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    We probably don't lose to San Diego in the AFCC game and we would probably have beaten the Cowboys in the SB. I don't see Joe throwing the 2 picks O-Donnell did.

This isn't the greatest organization when evaluating QBs: Dawson, Unitas, Marino come to mind.
    Struck gold with Bradshaw and Ben though. Rooney said his greatest regret was not drafting Marino.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post

Pretty sure Montana never threw an INT in his 4 SB’s.

Can’t say we would win the SD game though because it seemed like our defenses always failed us in those championship games with blown coverages.

Still furious at the SD tight end for drinking a coconut after running free for a wide open TD.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Pretty sure Montana never threw an INT in his 4 SB’s.
    "Undefeated in four Super Bowl appearances, Montana completed 83 of 122 passes for 1,142 yards and 11 touchdowns with no interceptions, earning him a Super Bowl record passer rating of 127.8. The first player ever to win three Super Bowl MVP awards."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Montana