Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can Pat Freiermuth tranform this offense?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I’m curious too.

Is it twice the production or the same production but better blocking?

I really doubt Pat is used as more than a blocking TE and hopefully a nice red zone threat at the GL who slips put for open TD’s.
    Not that it’s impossible but he’s gonna have to average 1000 yards and 10 tds a season for his first 7 years, for starters.
    Tall task.
    Update:
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and now 50% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Backup

User Info Menu

Freiermuth was unstoppable in 2019 when the kid with the Ravens was QB. I remember a couple games he dominated. I thought he was the best TE in the Big10 that year. He's a better TE than Ebron by far. Ebron doesn't have consistent hands. You could tell Ben wanted to throw to him a lot but he would drop a peep shot and Ben would ignore him after that. This "Muth" kid will be the #1 TE real quick because he doesn't drop peep shots. A TE's main purpose is to catch that 7 yarder in traffic, something Ben hasn't had since Heath Miller. Jesse James was starting to become that but he wasn't worth what $5M/year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by "BuzzNuter" View Post
    Freiermuth was unstoppable in 2019 when the kid with the Ravens was QB. I remember a couple games he dominated. I thought he was the best TE in the Big10 that year. He's a better TE than Ebron by far. Ebron doesn't have consistent hands. You could tell Ben wanted to throw to him a lot but he would drop a peep shot and Ben would ignore him after that. This "Muth" kid will be the #1 TE real quick because he doesn't drop peep shots. A TE's main purpose is to catch that 7 yarder in traffic, something Ben hasn't had since Heath Miller. Jesse James was starting to become that but he wasn't worth what $5M/year.
    College isn’t the NFL. Would love to see this kid be everything people envision but we still have to see it at the next level.

A TE’a main job is catching in traffic? hmm..

I think a TE’s main job is to be the forgotten man who slips free after blocking for a half second.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Backup

User Info Menu

College isn’t the NFL. Would love to see this kid be everything people envision but we still have to see it at the next level.

A TE’a main job is catching in traffic? hmm..

I think a TE’s main job is to be the forgotten man who slips free after blocking for a half second.
    No the traditional TE , the way the Steelers use them, is to be an extra blocker on most downs. When the TE like a Heath Miller goes downfield he goes the distance needed for the 1st down and sits. They used to call it a button hook pattern. Ebron likes to do what you describe except he usually forgets or doesn't block. Then when he's open he drops an easy pass. Ben likes the traditional TE.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ebron likes to do what you describe except he usually forgets or doesn't block.

Legend

User Info Menu

Iím curious too.

Is it twice the production or the same production but better blocking?

I really doubt Pat is used as more than a blocking TE and hopefully a nice red zone threat at the GL who slips put for open TDís.
    I think you're underselling the TE position in Canada's offense. And the TE that gets the looks will be the one that doesn't drop passes.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I think you're underselling the TE position in Canada's offense. And the TE that gets the looks will be the one that doesn't drop passes.
    I think you guys are overselling a rookie TE in a new offense none of us has seen yet.

I just don’t expect it to all come together for Pat in his first year.

Legend

User Info Menu

No the traditional TE , the way the Steelers use them, is to be an extra blocker on most downs. When the TE like a Heath Miller goes downfield he goes the distance needed for the 1st down and sits. They used to call it a button hook pattern. Ebron likes to do what you describe except he usually forgets or doesn't block. Then when he's open he drops an easy pass. Ben likes the traditional TE.
    I think we knew what we were getting with Ebron. He wasn’t brought in for his blocking and his hands were always questionable.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    That video reminds me of this one (although I'd take Ovi on my team in a heartbeat)

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't think that Freiermuth's impact will be seen in his receiving numbers as much as his percentage of snaps. He will be looked at to improve the run game as much as catch the ball.