Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Pat Freiermuth tranform this offense?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Can Pat Freiermuth tranform this offense?

Given who was on the board at that time, I would not have selected Freiermuth.

However after some thought, I do think he can fit what the Steelers are trying to do.

Run Blocking. Ebron is about the weakest run blocking TE in the NFL. Freiermuth has an NFL body, and I hope adds a few pounds to his growing frame. Not really fast enough ( 4.7- 4.75 40 ) to split the seam, he sure can be big enough at 6'5" 265 pounds to move his man backwards. Bigger than any linebacker and perhaps big enough to hold his own on the edge. Now all he has to do is learn Harris running style and tendencies.

Red Zone. According to the web he did not drop one pass in 30 targets in the red zone. A breath of fresh air on Ebron's drops. Too big for any DB, with just enough movement skills to bother LB's, Freiermuth could be a nice and reliable 2nd or 3d option in the red Zone.

Play Action. Assuming we call it, he has the right size and hands to be a factor in the middle. He also won't be a high priority coverage person. We'd got 3 of them already in Claypool, Ju-ju and Johnson.

So this pick, if he develops a bit and does what Harris needs ( Harris is going to make lots catches, so I see the TE pass catching production going down anyway ) really can help the offense. All he has to do is buy into what the offense needs. He's never going to be 60 catch a year guy. Give the offense what it needs and I'll be happy.
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 05-17-2021 at 10:07 AM.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

Legend

User Info Menu

My understanding is that TEs usually don't produce much in year 1.

Hopefully Freiermuth is an exception.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post

Usually, thatís very true
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Legend

User Info Menu

I think he will see the field in 2TE sets his first year.

Depends on his blocking at the NFL level but he should get some opportunities in Canada’s offense.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Heath Miller had 39 rec for 450 yards and 6 TDs

If Muth comes close to that it will be a great pick because he will only get better

Love the pick because we got a ten year starter

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I think he will see the field in 2TE sets his first year.

Depends on his blocking at the NFL level but he should get some opportunities in Canada’s offense.
    I agree that he'll be TE2. We had 2 or more TEs on the field something like 18% of the time last year. I hope we don't use 2 TEs much more than that because it probably involves sitting Claypool, who I think is our best chance for explosive plays.

If Freiermuth can block well (my understanding is that's also a rarity for rookie TEs), maybe he's even TE1 in certain packages. It's not like the bar is all that high for blocking TEs on the team at the moment, so maybe he comes in when we are more likely to run from single TE sets?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Across the board, every draft profile listed blocking under his weaknesses (see examples below). Coach Klemm and new TE Coach Roberts will need to coach him up!

Can improve his angles as a blocker.

Needs better first-engagement pop.

Inconsistent footwork to sustain second-level blocks.

As Freiermuth has developed his body and added muscle during his time at Penn State, the assumption was that he would continue to progress as an in-line blocker; but we never really saw that leap in that chapter of his game.

When run blocking, at times, he tends to over-stride, where he is a little too aggressive to make his block. Any above average linebacker with leverage can easily move around him.

Possesses average blocking strength and really doesnít get much movement.

Legend

User Info Menu

Last time we drafted the top TE in college, we went to the SuperBowl that season.

Letís do that again.

And Iím not counting the big giant WR disguised as a TE a real TE in this years class.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Last time we drafted the top TE in college, we went to the SuperBowl that season.

Let’s do that again.

And I’m not counting the big giant WR disguised as a TE a real TE in this years class.
    I like your plan

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mifflin View Post
    Heath Miller had 39 rec for 450 yards and 6 TDs

If Muth comes close to that it will be a great pick because he will only get better

Love the pick because we got a ten year starter
    to me, Heath the gauge.. it's what i've expected from Muth... having said that, it could go up based on whoever Ben's eventual replacement and how much he likes to use the TE

to be honest, i see the team grabbing another TE next year in the mid-rounds; someone who's a really good blocker, but average pass catcher... the Spaeth to Muth's Heath...
    Last edited by SteelerOfDeVille; 05-17-2021 at 04:48 PM.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!