Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 101

Thread: What the Steelers might are lacking

  1. #1
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    What the Steelers might be lacking

    Leaving the coaches out of this conversation, what the Steelers might be lacking is kick butt vocal leaders on the field. Mean Joe Greene, Jack Lambert, and Greg Lloyd. If you want Offense Alan Faneca and Hines Hard. Try getting in their way or dozing off. Can you smell what I'm cookin'?

    Not only outstanding football players but team leaders. The type who say I'm going to rip you a new one in any game any quarter do you hear me opposition, just try me. The type that say if you don't pull you weight Mr. Teammate you're in harms way too. TJ Watt is great on the field and dedicated off it. The same can be said Minkah Fitzpatrick. Where's the locker room guy who when needed gets in a teammates grill and says don't even think about trading stickers and jerseys. Where's the guy who get upset if he gives up 10 yards? Is that guy gone for good? We need one.

    I remember way back when we I meet Greg Lloyd in the local mall. A stone cold dude. When I asked Greg if Jason Gildon who was projected as a first time starter will be ready he looked at me with a face he doesn't greet fans with and said, " He' better ****** be or he'll have to deal with me in a very non PG-13 type of reply. He meant it. We need " That. " on the team.
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 05-16-2021 at 07:31 AM.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

  2. #2
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    I remember way back when we I meet Greg Lloyd in the local mall. A stone cold dude. When I asked Greg if Jason Gildon who was projected as a first time starter will be ready he looked at me with a face he doesn't greet fans with and said, " He' better ****** be or he'll have to deal with me in a very non PG-13 type of reply. He meant it. We need " That. " on the team.
    one of my favorite pics:

    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...

    Were absolutely correct. Miami hasn't won squat ever since Shula left.

  3. #3
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    J B makes some good points about on the field "ass kickers" and leaders. We have some .........Heyward on D n Ben on O.
    We sure could use some more and some dudes are emerging.
    What we are lacking imho is that we simply lack a high enough level of talent and talent in some key positions.
    If we were starting a new team arguably QB, LT and shut down corner would be top 3 priorities. We have major questions at all those positions. We are likely at least one draft away from filling those holes perhaps two. We will have a good chunk of f/a money a year from now so it could be a short turn around.
    We're in for some stormy weather but every team goes through it. Lets hope it's only this year.

  4. #4
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    I guess fans would need to be around the team to know. I doubt players are not thinking about this kind of ish when they are in the heat of battle.

    All this kind of stuff is nice to talk about with the hype but the reality is something different.

    At the end of the day players just need to execute. The games boil down to execution.

  5. #5
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    My guess is that our problems last year were more along the lines of having guys that weren't good at run blocking, a QB that wasn't accurate medium to deep, and a bunch of injuries to key players on the D. And an OC that wasn't good at game planning (probably because he was hired based on his relationship with the threatening-to-retire QB vs. credentials as an OC).

    While he's not the best player on the D, Vince is known to be a very vocal leader. Heyward also sounds like he's not afraid to speak his mind in public, which suggests he wouldn't be afraid to do the same in private. And I'd imagine that Ben is a very vocal leader on O.

  6. #6
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    I guess fans would need to be around the team to know. I doubt players are not thinking about this kind of ish when they are in the heat of battle.

    All this kind of stuff is nice to talk about with the hype but the reality is something different.

    At the end of the day players just need to execute. The games boil down to execution.

    Going on what I see, Ju-ju practices dancing on logo's. IMO he re-signed here because he'll do the best here, he knows he'll get away stuff here, and the money was close. Bell was a me first, team 15th type of player who lied to teammates and focused on his music.. And who knows what Brown was thinking off, besides trading stickers and such.

    I agree Heyward is a team leader, just not no one vocal about this stuff. What would Greg Lloyd say if these guys were his teammates? Forget what would he say, what would he do? The Steelers in the 1970's had a cast of characters. Noll took no crap from anyone and made his punishments public news, even if Bradshaw. Could you imagine what he'd do these days? One game Joe Greene was doing something on the sideline and Jack Lambert screamed at Joe Greene to knock if off he he's going to knock him out and he meant it. Joe Green quickly shut up and put his mind back on the game because Lambert meant it. A team historian can give you better detail.

    Oh how I'd love such a guy to put fear in our divas's now on other teams when they were in their prime with us. Ya want to change the team culture back to the days when we won playoff games and championships? I say diva's get out. I don't think vance Williams can do much, he's barely on the team. The enforcer type I'm talking about has to be a key player on the team.

    Those Championship team Steelers were 50-1 vs teams .500 or below. They didn't lose focus.
    Us? Now? Well our LB is bitching on social media about the worst team in the NFL signing Tim Tebow.

    I forgot to mention James Harrison, he qualifies. The NFL change rules because of him.
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 05-15-2021 at 08:59 PM.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

  7. #7
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Going on what I see, Ju-ju practices dancing on logo's. IMO he re-signed here because he'll do the best here, he knows he'll get away stuff here, and the money was close. Bell was a me first, team 15th type of player who lied to teammates and focused on his music.. And who knows what Brown was thinking off, besides trading stickers and such.

    I agree Heyward is a team leader, just not no one vocal about this stuff. What would Greg Lloyd say if these guys were his teammates? Forget what would he say, what would he do? The Steelers in the 1970's had a cast of characters. Noll took no crap from anyone and made his punishments public news, even if Bradshaw. Could you imagine what he'd do these days? One game Joe Greene was doing something on the sideline and Jack Lambert screamed at Joe Greene to knock if off he he's going to knock him out and he meant it. Joe Green quickly shut up and put his mind back on the game because Lambert meant it. A team historian can give you better detail.

    Oh how I'd love such a guy to put fear in our divas's now on other teams when they were in their prime with us. Ya want to change the team culture back to the days when we won playoff games and championships? I say diva's get out. I don't think vance Williams can do much, he's barely on the team. The enforcer type I'm talking about has to be a key player on the team.

    Those Championship team Steelers were 50-1 vs teams .500 or below. They didn't lose focus.
    Us? Now? Well our LB is bitching on social media about the worst team in the NFL signing Tim Tebow.

    I forgot to mention James Harrison, he qualifies. The NFL change rules because of him.
    Did you watch some Juju's offseason work outs on you tube?

    Juju is still a young man. Sometimes the birth right of the youth is to make mistakes. I try not to judge to harshly in that regard. I made my share of mistakes as a young man. I make my share of mistakes as a middle aged man. Juju is a good football player and young man that likes to enjoy himself. Take some of what made Juju Juju and he might not have the same edge as a player? I don't know. Everyone is build differently and deals with or handles criticism or situations differently. Juju is still a good football player. Seems to be a quality young man. But let's let dancing influence our decision of the overall picture. Sorry but I see more than the dancing stuff.

    Apparently Bell was a good teammate to players that were around him. Just because players were disgruntled over whatever issues(ie contract, use) didn't make them poor or bad teammates. Business is business at the professional level though. Again, I don't know all the circumstances so I try not to judge players like Bell to harshly. I think Bell made a big mistake leaving the Steelers. His life and his risk. That's life. He was ok financially regardless of the decision he made. Maybe his goal wasn't to become an all time great bu to make as much money as possible?

    As good as Greg was he never won a championship with the Steelers. Greg was a good player and leader. I believe the Steelers have quality leadership. You don't win 11 games in a row by having poor leadership. I just think this mythical leadership thing is an over played excuse. I generally prefer to focus on what I know, can see, and analyze. Execution. That's where games are generally won or loss.

    Comparing eras? Come on man stop.
    Last edited by BURGH86STEEL; 05-15-2021 at 09:23 PM.

  8. #8
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    My guess is that our problems last year were more along the lines of having guys that weren't good at run blocking, a QB that wasn't accurate medium to deep, and a bunch of injuries to key players on the D. And an OC that wasn't good at game planning (probably because he was hired based on his relationship with the threatening-to-retire QB vs. credentials as an OC).

    While he's not the best player on the D, Vince is known to be a very vocal leader. Heyward also sounds like he's not afraid to speak his mind in public, which suggests he wouldn't be afraid to do the same in private. And I'd imagine that Ben is a very vocal leader on O.
    When a team fails it's usually a combination of factors. I don't think leadership was an issue. Leadership certainly couldn't overcome the injuries that the Steelers had last season.

  9. #9
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Would a real team leader have beat up Pouncey on the sideline for 1-2 bad snaps a game? Would he have threatened Ben if he doesn’t stop throwing to the LOS?

    While it seems you have issue with social media, Juju did take opponent focus off the rest of his teammates and got defenders to want to focus on taking him out. Seemed to me he was tough enough to take any extra hits/focus and keep going. His teammates unfortunately weren’t good enough to take advantage of the opportunity.

    I think we just need better players and execution imho.

  10. #10
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Would a real team leader have beat up Pouncey on the sideline for 1-2 bad snaps a game? Would he have threatened Ben if he doesn’t stop throwing to the LOS?

    While it seems you have issue with social media, Juju did take opponent focus off the rest of his teammates and got defenders to want to focus on taking him out. Seemed to me he was tough enough to take any extra hits/focus and keep going. His teammates unfortunately weren’t good enough to take advantage of the opportunity.

    I think we just need better players and execution imho.
    If you want better focus, have guys focusing on football not boxing A Brown or social media. Ju-Ju put a target on the Steelers by dancing on opponents logo's. I don't think he did himself any favors with the officials either.

    Your post is a mess.
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 05-16-2021 at 08:00 AM.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •