Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Najee Harris; Most exciting #1Pick since Big Ben

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    one of the funny things about the draft is that every year, we have so much excitement about the picks. The reality is, most of them won't make significant impact in the NFL.
    Out of boredom, i just went back and looked at every draft since 2000. Basically, i was curious if the team did well in rounds 4-7 or if what you do in the first 3 rounds is the key to a successful draft. Below are the round 4-7 picks of any impact

Year - Player (round)
    2000 - Haggans (5th)
    2001 - Chukky Okobi (5)
    2002 - L. Foote (4), V.Haynes (5), B.Keisel(7)
    2003 - Ike Taylor (4)
    2004 - no significant impact by any players
    2005 - C.Kemoeatu (6)
    2006 - W.Colon (4)
    2007 - W.Gay (5)
    2008 - no significant impact by any players
    2009 - David Johnson (7)
    2010 - AB (6)
    2011 - Cortez Allen (4)
    2012 - Kelvin Beachum (7)
    2013 - V.Williams (6)
    2014 - Martavis (4), McCullers 6)
    2015 - Jessee James(5), Chickillo (6)
    2016 - Jerald Hawkins (4), Matakevich (7)
    2017 - Dobbs (4)
    2018 - Marcus Allen (5), Jaylen Samuels (5)
    2019 - B.Snell (4)
    2020 - K.Dotson (4), A.McFarland (4)

On the one hand, you hope the team nails it with later round picks.
    On the other hand, you almost wonder if O-Line was a key position, why didn't they shoot their wad fully in the first 3 rounds. Though looking at this list, there have been a handful of 4th round success stories, and a fair number of them at o-line selections.
    I think that this is a great point.

Hopefully we hit on a bunch of guys this year because we need the help IMO.

Although needing the help means that at least guys should get opportunities. That isn't always the case when the team is more established IMO.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    It's funny. If we didn't bring Ben back I think I would like this draft a lot more than I do because I think the timelines would like up better.

But in the end, I'd still just be hoping that whoever we picked would pan out.
    I like this years because if we need a QB next year we might have to move up to get one.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I like this years because if we need a QB next year we might have to move up to get one.
    my fear is that they really decide to go with MR instead of QB in the 1st next year....
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think that this is a great point.

Hopefully we hit on a bunch of guys this year because we need the help IMO.

Although needing the help means that at least guys should get opportunities. That isn't always the case when the team is more established IMO.
    Makes me dislike Loudermilk a little more... there were a LOT of 4th rounders in that list that were successful, but not many 5th rounders. I'd rather have a next year contributor than a this year "cut" (i know they won't cut the guy they traded up for)...

Legend

User Info Menu

Makes me dislike Loudermilk a little more... there were a LOT of 4th rounders in that list that were successful, but not many 5th rounders. I'd rather have a next year contributor than a this year "cut" (i know they won't cut the guy they traded up for)...
    I also think that next year's draft will probably have a higher hit rate in late rounds because there will be more eligible players. I think the NCAA allowed guys to have an extra year of eligibility this year.

So there were fewer eligible players this year and will be more next year.

It seems to me like that adds up to next year's picks (particularly mid to late picks) being more valuable than this year's.

But either way, I think 4th and 5th rounders are long shots no matter what. If the team saw something special in him, that's a good thing I guess.

Legend

User Info Menu

my fear is that they really decide to go with MR instead of QB in the 1st next year....
    I would be fine with that.. a gap year before getting the next QB is fine by me.

I also believe MR won’t be as bas as some believe if he just plays game manager and throws deep to Claypool all day after PA.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I also think that next year's draft will probably have a higher hit rate in late rounds because there will be more eligible players. I think the NCAA allowed guys to have an extra year of eligibility this year.

So there were fewer eligible players this year and will be more next year.

It seems to me like that adds up to next year's picks (particularly mid to late picks) being more valuable than this year's.

But either way, I think 4th and 5th rounders are long shots no matter what. If the team saw something special in him, that's a good thing I guess.
    I hope they're right... the funny thing - if they had traded up and taken Shaun Wade(DB, OSU), or Tedarrell Slaton (NT, Florida) we all would have been ok with it...

That's not necessarily a familiarity thing, but for those who we don't know, we trust the scouts. If 10 scouts, say one thing and the team goes outside the norm - "they can't all be wrong can they?"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I would be fine with that.. a gap year before getting the next QB is fine by me.

I also believe MR won’t be as bas as some believe if he just plays game manager and throws deep to Claypool all day after PA.
    i could see him as .500 with this team... my problem is, i'm not sure that some guys will want to stay around without a legit QB

Legend

User Info Menu

I hope they're right... the funny thing - if they had traded up and taken Shaun Wade(DB, OSU), or Tedarrell Slaton (NT, Florida) we all would have been ok with it...

That's not necessarily a familiarity thing, but for those who we don't know, we trust the scouts. If 10 scouts, say one thing and the team goes outside the norm - "they can't all be wrong can they?"
    It would have been interesting to see what people would have thought (including me) in the alternate universe where we traded up to get Shakur Brown.

A guy that feels like a steal now maybe loses some of the shine if we needed to spend extra draft capital to get him.

Legend

User Info Menu

i could see him as .500 with this team... my problem is, i'm not sure that some guys will want to stay around without a legit QB
    I think we will be better than .500 with Mason. He throws a nice deep ball and he is cheap as hell. So that means we can spend more money elsewhere.

Also have to remember he has never entered camp at the number 1 QB so he would get all the reps and a playbook that should be tailored to his strengths

I see us throwing the ball 30 times or less most weeks with Mason.