Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 140

Thread: Najee Harris; Most exciting #1Pick since Big Ben

  1. #11
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    a lot of people felt the same way as SM.

    it was really weird to see people grade us negatively for drafting a RB to improve our ground game. Like it was impossible to find value at OL in later rounds.
    I think the grades have more to do with:
    (i) Freiermuth who seems like a luxury pick, even though he might be good. But a guy that was arguably the best C in the class was available and C was probably our biggest need. Also my understanding is that TE's usually don't do all that much in year 1; and
    (ii) Green is a guy most of us hadn't really heard of before the draft. And personally, I liked Meinerz...but mostly because of the senior bowl coverage. I totally understand going with Green because he played last year (unlike Meinerz), and because he at least has a few games at C (Meinerz doesn't).

    I think the reason I wasn't a big fan of the draft is because the timeline of when I think these guys are going to be able to contribute at a high level doesn't line up with the idea that we're bringing Ben back. He's only under contract for 1 year (and the contract suggests he'll retire or go somewhere else after that). But it seems like our 2nd and 3rd (4th too where we got OT help) are kind of at risk of not being able to contribute all that much. This is actually a big reason that I like the Harris pick (also because I think he was arguable BPA...which I guess is also the argument for Freiermuth).

    If you believe that our biggest problem was the OL, I personally was hoping that the draft would alieviate some of the questions marks for this year.

    Hopefully everything pans out because there are no do overs.

  2. #12
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Maybe this has been posted already, but I enjoyed watching this.



    It's about the draft in general, but there's a lot of time talking specifically about Harris.

    Nice to hear Faulkner talking about Harris's work ethic and football IQ. I'd guess those things are important to make the jump quickly to the NFL. I'm picking last in my Fantasy draft and I think he'll be a viable pick up at that point given how we generally don't split carries.

  3. #13
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by "BuzzNuter" View Post
    I've been watching a lot of film on this guy the last week. I always watch Bama but I watched a lot of his highlights the last week. He reminds me of a stronger, more powerful, and quicker L Bell.
    I don't get the NFL these days. A guy like Najee can get 25 touches a game and he falls to #24. A good strong RB can carry the ball 25 times a game , but the NFL would prefer a skinnier QB who can run but doesn't have the power of a Najee Harris. The skinnier QB is going to get his knees blown out because he doesn't run with power and forward momentum. A guy like Najee can be our #1 offensive weapon ala Franco. Just like Mean Joe said " before Franco got here we weren't winning and after he got here we didn't lose".
    This coming a guy who loved Bell before we drafted him. Harris is a better back. He's special.

  4. #14
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think the grades have more to do with:
    (i) Freiermuth who seems like a luxury pick, even though he might be good. But a guy that was arguably the best C in the class was available and C was probably our biggest need. Also my understanding is that TE's usually don't do all that much in year 1; and
    (ii) Green is a guy most of us hadn't really heard of before the draft. And personally, I liked Meinerz...but mostly because of the senior bowl coverage. I totally understand going with Green because he played last year (unlike Meinerz), and because he at least has a few games at C (Meinerz doesn't).

    I think the reason I wasn't a big fan of the draft is because the timeline of when I think these guys are going to be able to contribute at a high level doesn't line up with the idea that we're bringing Ben back. He's only under contract for 1 year (and the contract suggests he'll retire or go somewhere else after that). But it seems like our 2nd and 3rd (4th too where we got OT help) are kind of at risk of not being able to contribute all that much. This is actually a big reason that I like the Harris pick (also because I think he was arguable BPA...which I guess is also the argument for Freiermuth).

    If you believe that our biggest problem was the OL, I personally was hoping that the draft would alieviate some of the questions marks for this year.

    Hopefully everything pans out because there are no do overs.
    I hear you but IF this is Ben’s last year I want a great RB for the new QB.

    Also think the OL will be improved this year simply because Dotson is a beast and Pouncey played past his expiration date.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  5. #15
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    a lot of people felt the same way as SM.

    it was really weird to see people grade us negatively for drafting a RB to improve our ground game. Like it was impossible to find value at OL in later rounds.
    The Steelers obviously believed that it was a better value to draft one of the top RB's in the 1st round.

    They probably believed that the drop off from the top 2 or 3 RBs was substantial and that the drop off of potential Olinmen that they had the opportunity to draft later wouldn't be as substantial.

    I believe the Steelers made the right decision to draft Harris.

  6. #16
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by "BuzzNuter" View Post
    I've been watching a lot of film on this guy the last week. I always watch Bama but I watched a lot of his highlights the last week. He reminds me of a stronger, more powerful, and quicker L Bell.
    I don't get the NFL these days. A guy like Najee can get 25 touches a game and he falls to #24. A good strong RB can carry the ball 25 times a game , but the NFL would prefer a skinnier QB who can run but doesn't have the power of a Najee Harris. The skinnier QB is going to get his knees blown out because he doesn't run with power and forward momentum. A guy like Najee can be our #1 offensive weapon ala Franco. Just like Mean Joe said " before Franco got here we weren't winning and after he got here we didn't lose".
    I always felt the same way. NFL is nuts right now. Everyone wants the next Mahomes so they are elevating QBís. I think a lot of the QBís selected this year will be trash in the NFL.

    and the way they treat RBís is crazy right now. I want the best RB possible because they touch the rock 20 times a game, catch 2 or 3 passes AND protect the QB.

    and people want to wait to draft a RB because??? Nah.. give me the best available and then let me see how good or terrible this OL really is before investing top picks to rebuild it.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  7. #17
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    The Steelers obviously believed that it was a better value to draft one of the top RB's in the 1st round.

    They probably believed that the drop off from the top 2 or 3 RBs was substantial and that the drop off of potential Olinmen that they had the opportunity to draft later wouldn't be as substantial.

    I believe the Steelers made the right decision to draft Harris.
    yup.. and I repeat, lets see what this OL looks like this year with Najee before screaming we need the best rated C and Guard.

    We may very well look much better simply because Najee doesn’t take forever to change direction.

    Conner man.. that kid was making 3 point turns to change directions. If everything wasn’t perfect he just wasn’t effective.

    and since his ball security was questionable he lost that stiff arm that made him a monster at PITT.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  8. #18
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think the grades have more to do with:
    (i) Freiermuth who seems like a luxury pick, even though he might be good. But a guy that was arguably the best C in the class was available and C was probably our biggest need. Also my understanding is that TE's usually don't do all that much in year 1; and
    (ii) Green is a guy most of us hadn't really heard of before the draft. And personally, I liked Meinerz...but mostly because of the senior bowl coverage. I totally understand going with Green because he played last year (unlike Meinerz), and because he at least has a few games at C (Meinerz doesn't).

    I think the reason I wasn't a big fan of the draft is because the timeline of when I think these guys are going to be able to contribute at a high level doesn't line up with the idea that we're bringing Ben back. He's only under contract for 1 year (and the contract suggests he'll retire or go somewhere else after that). But it seems like our 2nd and 3rd (4th too where we got OT help) are kind of at risk of not being able to contribute all that much. This is actually a big reason that I like the Harris pick (also because I think he was arguable BPA...which I guess is also the argument for Freiermuth).

    If you believe that our biggest problem was the OL, I personally was hoping that the draft would alieviate some of the questions marks for this year.

    Hopefully everything pans out because there are no do overs.
    one of the funny things about the draft is that every year, we have so much excitement about the picks. The reality is, most of them won't make significant impact in the NFL.
    Out of boredom, i just went back and looked at every draft since 2000. Basically, i was curious if the team did well in rounds 4-7 or if what you do in the first 3 rounds is the key to a successful draft. Below are the round 4-7 picks of any impact

    Year - Player (round)
    2000 - Haggans (5th)
    2001 - Chukky Okobi (5)
    2002 - L. Foote (4), V.Haynes (5), B.Keisel(7)
    2003 - Ike Taylor (4)
    2004 - no significant impact by any players
    2005 - C.Kemoeatu (6)
    2006 - W.Colon (4)
    2007 - W.Gay (5)
    2008 - no significant impact by any players
    2009 - David Johnson (7)
    2010 - AB (6)
    2011 - Cortez Allen (4)
    2012 - Kelvin Beachum (7)
    2013 - V.Williams (6)
    2014 - Martavis (4), McCullers 6)
    2015 - Jessee James(5), Chickillo (6)
    2016 - Jerald Hawkins (4), Matakevich (7)
    2017 - Dobbs (4)
    2018 - Marcus Allen (5), Jaylen Samuels (5)
    2019 - B.Snell (4)
    2020 - K.Dotson (4), A.McFarland (4)

    On the one hand, you hope the team nails it with later round picks.
    On the other hand, you almost wonder if O-Line was a key position, why didn't they shoot their wad fully in the first 3 rounds. Though looking at this list, there have been a handful of 4th round success stories, and a fair number of them at o-line selections.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

  9. #19
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    yup.. and I repeat, lets see what this OL looks like this year with Najee before screaming we need the best rated C and Guard.

    We may very well look much better simply because Najee doesn’t take forever to change direction.

    Conner man.. that kid was making 3 point turns to change directions. If everything wasn’t perfect he just wasn’t effective.

    and since his ball security was questionable he lost that stiff arm that made him a monster at PITT.
    I think the interior of the Oline will be fine. The tackles are probably the the main concern. A solid run game from a RB with good vision could help the tackles be less of a concern.

    The Steelers couldn't address every position or need. They can assess and continue to build as the team moves forward.

    I am optimistic that the team can compete for the division title again.

  10. #20
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I hear you but IF this is Ben’s last year I want a great RB for the new QB.

    Also think the OL will be improved this year simply because Dotson is a beast and Pouncey played past his expiration date.
    It's funny. If we didn't bring Ben back I think I would like this draft a lot more than I do because I think the timelines would like up better.

    But in the end, I'd still just be hoping that whoever we picked would pan out.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •