Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This draft was all about a return to tough, intimidate..real STEELER FOOTBALL.

Legend

User Info Menu

This draft was all about a return to tough, intimidate..real STEELER FOOTBALL.

No doubt we all were surprised and frustrated by certain picks. But it is easy to see what they were trying to do if you sit back a minute.

For YEARS we have gone away from real traditional "Steeler Football". We have been enamored with the glitz of fast receivers, wide open passing game, prima dona attitudes at the expense of hard nosed Football that is won in the trenches.

Our ENTIRE DIVISION plays tougher football than we do. The Ravens punish you...we dont...at least on offense.

NO MORE, WE ARE BRINGING.TOUGHNESS BACK TO THE OFFENSE!

1st round- Harris
    Smash mouth back instead of Etienne.
    Our toughest runner since Bettis. Yet he is tough AND versatile in the passing game.

Round 2- This threw me. I wanted Creed bad. But Creed is kinda like Pouncey (with is very much in demand) but does NOT represent a departure from the past. He is skilled, ready, consistent...but does NOT bring "nasty". But there were really talent nasty centers that would last another round.

So we went with the Penn State tight end. Unexpected to many of us. Why a tight end, we have a starter already. 2nd tight end is not THAT crucial. But Ebron as skilled as he is...is soft as play dough. A big wideout who is less a blocker than receivers on our team. ​

Freiermuth is a traditional old school tight end who runs through you, not around you. He is a tough guy.

While not "known" as a great blocker, mostly because he was mostly a pass catcher, he has all the tools to get it done. Certainly more than Ebron who is who he is at this stage. Was there a need to draft tight end? Absolutely! Why? Tight end was a weakness on a team looking to get tough.

I want to make a bold statement.

I don't think Freiermuth was EVER chosen to be a 2nd tight end. Is Ebron a good player? Yes. But considering what WE are trying to do, he is a liability. He is a weak link if we are focused on toughness. They want and expect Freiermuth to take the job from Ebron THIS SEASON.

I fully expect them to challenge the kid. "We know you can catch, you need to focus on blocking, if you get that done... the job is yours.

If he can be even an average blocker, (which he is) that is improvement. Anything more and it helps our run game immensely over Ebron without sacrificing what Ebron brings as a receiver.

Round 3...Dude Green is nasty. He just destroys people. I don't think he's necessarily "stronger" than Creed both you clearly see a "meaner" player. Seems on the hunt for a second guy to hit all the time. Just looks like a bully. He hits people...almost at the whistle, when a play is past him. I think mean Joe or Lyle Alzado back in the day. Lambert had it and wasn't even big. Maybe it is his defensive background but he has that kind of vibe. I got a feeling he might even get a penalty on occasion for being mean.

I think our tackles are already an upgrade in that regard without even considering our 4th rounder.

Now look at our potential offense:

We got Juju and Chase...outstanding, physical blocking receivers. With Chuks moving to the left, more physical than big AL, Banner more physical than Chuks on the right, Dotson replaces ineffective Fieler at guard, Green replaces Pouncey who was not good in run blocking at this stage, and HOPEFULLY Decastros issues were strictly injury based...he could return to the beast he WAS. And Freiermuth instead of a big receiver at tight end.

I tell you guys, we are going all in to regain the toughness of seasons past.

And I'm excited to see how it all unfolds.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 05-05-2021 at 04:31 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Mel Blount, Jack Lambert and Mean Joe Greene approve this message:

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...

Were absolutely correct. Miami hasn't won squat ever since Shula left.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    No doubt we all were surprised and frustrated by certain picks. But it is easy to see what they were trying to do if you sit back a minute.

For YEARS we have gone away from real traditional "Steeler Football". We have been enamored with the glitz of fast receivers, wide open passing game, prima dona attitudes at the expense of hard nosed Football that is won in the trenches.

Our ENTIRE DIVISION plays tougher football than we do. The Ravens punish you...we dont...at least on offense.

1st round- Harris
    Our toughest runner since Bettis. Yet he is tough AND versatile in the passing game.

Round 2- This threw me. I wanted Creed bad. But Creed is kinda like Pouncey (with is very much in demand) but does NOT represent a departure from the past. He is skilled, ready, consistent...but does NOT bring "nasty". But there were really talent nasty centers that would last another round.

So we went with the Penn State tight end. Unexpected to many of us. Why a tight end, we have a starter already. 2nd tight end is not THAT crucial. But Ebron as skilled as he is...is soft as play dough. A big wideout who is less a blocker than receivers on our team. ​

Freiermuth is a traditional old school tight end who runs through you, not around you. He is a tough guy.

While not "known" as a great blocker, mostly because he was mostly a pass catcher, he has all the tools to get it done. Certainly more than Ebron who is who he is at this stage. Was there a need to draft tight end? Absolutely! Why? Tight end was a weakness on a team looking to get tough.

I don't think Freiermuth was EVER chosen to be a 2nd tight end. Is Ebron a good player? Yes. But considering what WE are trying to do, he is a liability. He is a weak link if we are focused on toughness. They want and expect Freiermuth to take the job from Ebron THIS SEASON.

I fully expect them to challenge the kid. "We know you can catch, you need to focus on blocking, if you get that done... the job is yours.

If he can be even an average blocker, (which he is) that is improvement. Anything more and it helps our run game immensely over Ebron without sacrificing what Ebron brings as a receiver.

Round 3...Dude Green is nasty. He just destroys people. I don't think he's necessarily "stronger" than Creed both you clearly see a "meaner" player. Seems on the hunt for a second guy to hit all the time. Just looks like a bully. He hits people...almost at the whistle, when a play is past him. I think mean Joe or Lyle Alzado back in the day. Lambert had it and wasn't even big. Maybe it is his defensive background but he has that kind of vibe. I got a feeling he might even get a penalty on occasion for being mean.

I think our tackles are already an upgrade in that regard without even considering our 4th rounder.

We got Juju and Chase...outstanding, physical blocking receivers. With Chuks moving to the left, more physical than big AL, Banner more physical than Chuks on the right, Dotson replaces ineffective Fieler at guard, Green replaces Pouncey who was not good in run blocking at this stage, and HOPEFULLY Decastros issues were strictly injury based...he could return to the beast he WAS. And Freiermuth instead of a big receiver at tight end.

Well, if we are returning to some hard nose football , I’m all for it.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Legend

User Info Menu

Tougher attitudes are desired but that does not mean play Cowher ball. Need a tough, in your face style but still play explosive football. One does not preclude the other.
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

i'm glad, what happened that we got so soft?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Black&Gold View Post
    Hmmmmm......
    Update:
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and now 50% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

When we play Baltimore and Green goes against their 2 340lb interior linemen and or Calais Campbell and roughs them up I'm in. How a smaller guy does that is not impossible but it is a tall task. Not sure Green faced to many 340lb athletic dudes at Illinois.
    One other thing a few picks after Green Baltimore drafted Ben Cleveland a 6 6 350lb guard / road grader who went to Georgia and played physical football in the SEC.
    In summary jury is out on Green and I hope he becomes great. However I can't believe an undersized interior lineman would not have been there 15-20 picks later. We could have traded back and still got him and landed an extra mid round pick in the process IMHO.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Tougher attitudes are desired but that does not mean play Cowher ball. Need a tough, in your face style but still play explosive football. One does not preclude the other.
    Not many coaches can be tough and likable at the same time. Cowher could.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Black&Gold View Post
    Over-reliance on Bens arm at the expense of the run game.

Our SB seasons-

What they have in common?

Ben threw for less than 3500 yards.

BTW, the first season when we threw more than 3500 yards was 2006 and we went 8-8.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post

1st round- Harris

We'll see what Green can do. I think Finney will be our starting Center, 2021.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion