Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 Reasons to love the Pittsburgh Steelers 2021 draft class

Legend

User Info Menu

10 Reasons to love the Pittsburgh Steelers 2021 draft class

There’s a lot of reasons to love this draft class.

By Michael_Beck
    May 4, 2021

The 2021 NFL draft has come to a close and the Steelers have nine new pieces to its roster. Like every year following the draft, there is optimism for every team’s success, and the Steelers are no different. Below are ten of the best reasons to love the Pittsburgh Steelers 2021 draft class.

10. Committed to fixing the run
    President, Art Rooney II said it at the end of last season, the Steelers would improve their running attack this offseason. To his credit, the Steelers used their first four picks on positions that will directly improve the Steelers’ ground game. Two extremely physical lineman, an all-around tight end, and the best running back of the 2021 class and the Steelers are in shape to get back to running the rock like the Steelers teams of old.

9. Special teams matter
    Buddy Johnson and Quincy Roche will both round out the Steelers linebacker core in 2021. With being depth pieces they will be required to chase kicks and block for returners. They will join a group already bolstered by Robert Spillane, Miles Killebrew, Derek Watt, Kevin Rader, and Cassius Marsh who are head hunters in the kicking game.

Add in the best punter prospect the Steelers have had in years and opposing teams will have longer fields ahead of them when they get the ball.

8. Competition breeds excellence
    This draft class added depth to a number of positions. Offensive tackle, center, tight end, linebacker, defensive tackle, you name it the Steelers added a hungry dog to the position looking to take a job. The returning players will have to improve and the young guys will have to get up to speed quick. Iron sharpens iron, and the Steelers will be a better team because of it.

7. Leadership at all levels
    When you look at the entirety of this draft class you’ll notice they’re all extraordinary people. They are also intense on field leaders that were called upon to lead their college programs. With voices like Maurkice Pouncey no longer in the locker room the Steelers will need someone to fill the void. Everyone they drafted has potential to one day be a team captain.

6. Depth in versatility
    Almost everyone the Steelers drafted can play multiple positions. Najee Harris can play running back and out-wide, Pat Freiermuth can play in-line or as a slot, Kendrick Green is a center and a guard, Dan Moore plays both tackles, Isaiahh Loudermilk can play defensive end and off the edge and Tre Norwood can play every defensive back position in football. By nature of the game, these guys can step into a number of different positions if anyone were to get injured.

5. Ben has more weapons
    Unlike a certain situation in Green Bay, the Steelers have always made sure to keep the offensive skill positions stocked up for Ben Roethlisberger. Now Najee Harris and Pat Freiermuth will be catching passes from the future hall of fame. Even before these players were drafted they were often compared to Le’Veon Bell and Heath Miller respectfully. Both of whom represent the best running back and tight end Ben has ever played with. If they live up to that billing the Steelers will have inserted amazing talent into an already loaded offense.

4. And so will the next guy
    It might not be this year, or even next year but Ben Roethlisberger is creeping towards retirement. Whoever the Steelers choose to replace him with will be handed the keys of an offense that would resemble a Maserati. We often talk about rookie quarterbacks finding more success because they landed in great situations, and the Steelers could offer one of the cushiest landing spots a rookie could ever hope for.

3. They shored up areas of need
    Running back, center, tackle, edge rusher, and tight end two were some of the biggest holes on this roster. The Steelers have added solid body’s to those spots and will give a large number of those players opportunities to start as rookies —which is something the Steelers famously avoid— This draft allows the Steelers to be confident in their roster and not have any major glaring holes. And, if they want to spend any more money on free agents they can do so without worrying if any given position is good enough for the NFL.

2. A return to Steelers football
    The Steelers added two of the nastiest offensive lineman in the draft, coupled with a monster of a man running the ball and ground and pound Steelers football is back. Being able to run the ball and give the defense some rest will only further boost the ability of the unit and collectively the Steelers will once again become a hard-nosed grind out games kind of team.

1. The Steelers got better
    Quite simply the Pittsburgh Steelers are better than they were a month ago. You could even argue they are better than they were a year ago. This draft class keeps this team a contender in the AFC North, and keeps the championship window cracked open that much longer. Are they a perfect team? No. But, they are a better team than they were when we saw them last.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...reen-moore-nfl
    Dolphin fans in the 90’s who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70’s...

Were absolutely correct. Miami hasn't won squat ever since Shula left.

Legend

User Info Menu

Excellent analysis I especially agree with the appearance they were returning to "blue collar, tough guy" football with several of their picks.
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post

There’s a lot of reasons to love this draft class.

By Michael_Beck
    May 4, 2021

The 2021 NFL draft has come to a close and the Steelers have nine new pieces to its roster. Like every year following the draft, there is optimism for every team’s success, and the Steelers are no different. Below are ten of the best reasons to love the Pittsburgh Steelers 2021 draft class.

10. Committed to fixing the run
    President, Art Rooney II said it at the end of last season, the Steelers would improve their running attack this offseason. To his credit, the Steelers used their first four picks on positions that will directly improve the Steelers’ ground game. Two extremely physical lineman, an all-around tight end, and the best running back of the 2021 class and the Steelers are in shape to get back to running the rock like the Steelers teams of old.

9. Special teams matter
    Buddy Johnson and Quincy Roche will both round out the Steelers linebacker core in 2021. With being depth pieces they will be required to chase kicks and block for returners. They will join a group already bolstered by Robert Spillane, Miles Killebrew, Derek Watt, Kevin Rader, and Cassius Marsh who are head hunters in the kicking game.

Add in the best punter prospect the Steelers have had in years and opposing teams will have longer fields ahead of them when they get the ball.

8. Competition breeds excellence
    This draft class added depth to a number of positions. Offensive tackle, center, tight end, linebacker, defensive tackle, you name it the Steelers added a hungry dog to the position looking to take a job. The returning players will have to improve and the young guys will have to get up to speed quick. Iron sharpens iron, and the Steelers will be a better team because of it.

7. Leadership at all levels
    When you look at the entirety of this draft class you’ll notice they’re all extraordinary people. They are also intense on field leaders that were called upon to lead their college programs. With voices like Maurkice Pouncey no longer in the locker room the Steelers will need someone to fill the void. Everyone they drafted has potential to one day be a team captain.

6. Depth in versatility
    Almost everyone the Steelers drafted can play multiple positions. Najee Harris can play running back and out-wide, Pat Freiermuth can play in-line or as a slot, Kendrick Green is a center and a guard, Dan Moore plays both tackles, Isaiahh Loudermilk can play defensive end and off the edge and Tre Norwood can play every defensive back position in football. By nature of the game, these guys can step into a number of different positions if anyone were to get injured.

5. Ben has more weapons
    Unlike a certain situation in Green Bay, the Steelers have always made sure to keep the offensive skill positions stocked up for Ben Roethlisberger. Now Najee Harris and Pat Freiermuth will be catching passes from the future hall of fame. Even before these players were drafted they were often compared to Le’Veon Bell and Heath Miller respectfully. Both of whom represent the best running back and tight end Ben has ever played with. If they live up to that billing the Steelers will have inserted amazing talent into an already loaded offense.

4. And so will the next guy
    It might not be this year, or even next year but Ben Roethlisberger is creeping towards retirement. Whoever the Steelers choose to replace him with will be handed the keys of an offense that would resemble a Maserati. We often talk about rookie quarterbacks finding more success because they landed in great situations, and the Steelers could offer one of the cushiest landing spots a rookie could ever hope for.

3. They shored up areas of need
    Running back, center, tackle, edge rusher, and tight end two were some of the biggest holes on this roster. The Steelers have added solid body’s to those spots and will give a large number of those players opportunities to start as rookies —which is something the Steelers famously avoid— This draft allows the Steelers to be confident in their roster and not have any major glaring holes. And, if they want to spend any more money on free agents they can do so without worrying if any given position is good enough for the NFL.

2. A return to Steelers football
    The Steelers added two of the nastiest offensive lineman in the draft, coupled with a monster of a man running the ball and ground and pound Steelers football is back. Being able to run the ball and give the defense some rest will only further boost the ability of the unit and collectively the Steelers will once again become a hard-nosed grind out games kind of team.

1. The Steelers got better
    Quite simply the Pittsburgh Steelers are better than they were a month ago. You could even argue they are better than they were a year ago. This draft class keeps this team a contender in the AFC North, and keeps the championship window cracked open that much longer. Are they a perfect team? No. But, they are a better team than they were when we saw them last.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...reen-moore-nfl
    Well Mike Beck needs David Letterman for this list with a Larry David like sense of humor.

1 ) We lost a ton of talent in free agency, and Ben is a year older. If we are better remains to be seen, and hinges on rookies. Next year with 90m in cap space we can upgrade.

2 ) Green seems nasty Dan Moore jr, not so much. I do think the running game will be improved.

3 ) Key area of need. Cornerback. We lost two good ones who played 80% + of the snaps and added a 7th round pick. A glaring hole.

4 ) Ben's replacement is NOT on the roster.

5 ) Agree Ben has more weapons now.

6 ) We have very little veteran depth.

7 ) If you are relying on rookies for leadership you team is F'ed. Tomlin needs to step up here.

8 ) Competition breeds excellence. Are we sure Tomlin will allow rookies to earn jobs outside of RB? This has been an issue in the past. This year he might have to ,

9 ) Buddy Johnson and Quincy Roche will help on special team, but Punter Havin III should me mentioned.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Teams shouldn’t rely on rookies for leadership? huh???

First off, they didn’t say they needed to rely on a rookie.. but its good to have rookies who were leaders in college.

Tomlin is already the leader of this team... smh. But you know, he doesn’t actually play the game and isn’t on the field. If you can’t see why a team wants players who can lead you are just being obtuse.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post

3 ) Key area of need. Cornerback. We lost two good ones who played 80% + of the snaps and added a 7th round pick. A glaring hole.
    Yep. Maybe that 7th rounder or one of the UDFAs will step up big, but we can't afford to stand pat on such a hope. Steelers need to go look for a defensive back (or two) in free agency.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Well Mike Beck needs David Letterman for this list with a Larry David like sense of humor.

1 ) We lost a ton of talent in free agency, and Ben is a year older. If we are better remains to be seen, and hinges on rookies. Next year with 90m in cap space we can upgrade. OK, he spun a little optimism in there. But fans were fearing the worst going into FA, and I don't think the worst happened. Their roster looks reasonably competitive.

2 ) Green seems nasty Dan Moore jr, not so much. I do think the running game will be improved Agreed. Rooney's command came through loud and clear this season after falling on deaf ears prior to last year.

3 ) Key area of need. Cornerback. We lost two good ones who played 80% + of the snaps and added a 7th round pick. A glaring hole. Given the Steelers record in drafting CBs did you really want them to spend a high pick on one?? Prefer they go the FA route (which they might yet do before the dust is settled. Remember, they signed Haden just before the season started.)

4 ) Ben's replacement is NOT on the roster. Doesn't need to be if Roethlisberger is on it. Why waste rookie salary cap?

5 ) Agree Ben has more weapons now.

6 ) We have very little veteran depth. That's what happens when veterans retire or move on. Veterans can also be pricier than young players.

7 ) If you are relying on rookies for leadership you team is F'ed. Tomlin needs to step up here. I don't think that is what the author said. He said several of these rookies could become team leaders.

8 ) Competition breeds excellence. Are we sure Tomlin will allow rookies to earn jobs outside of RB? This has been an issue in the past. This year he might have to Edmunds started his rookie season, DJ started his rookie season, Watt started his rookie season. I don't think Tomlin has been anti-rookie. LeBeau?..yes.

9 ) Buddy Johnson and Quincy Roche will help on special team, but Punter Havin III should me mentioned.

Legend

User Info Menu

Joel, I understand all your concerns but you've got to let this play out some more. A few more things will be address in free agency. Let's just let it play itself out. But I see all your points.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90’s who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70’s...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Excellent analysis I especially agree with the appearance they were returning to "blue collar, tough guy" football with several of their picks.
    looks like there was an obvious attempt to do exactly that, about time!

Were absolutely correct. Miami hasn't won squat ever since Shula left.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Joel, I understand all your concerns but you've got to let this play out some more. A few more things will be address in free agency. Let's just let it play itself out. But I see all your points.
    I'm not going to let the media build the 2021 Pittsburgh Steelers up like a badly hyped movie and get the fans going. 2021 is not going to be an easy year. Be honest. Our schedule alone, judged the toughest in the NFL is the brutal fact we must deal with. An injury at DB can ruin this team. This could very well be a 3rd place team.

@ Northcoast " OK, he spun a little optimism in there. But fans were fearing the worst going into FA, and I don't think the worst happened. OK, he spun a little optimism in there. But fans were fearing the worst going into FA, and I don't think the worst happened. Their roster looks reasonably competitive.

>>. " Competive, as in .500, okay. As a playoff team I think not.

Agreed. Rooney's command came through loud and clear this season after falling on deaf ears prior to last year.

I think Ronney is not his father or his grandfather and has very little relationships with the players. Put it to you this way they players never say anything directly about Art Rooney II.

Doesn't need to be if Roethlisberger is on it. Why waste rookie salary cap?

My point is Ben is near done and has no real replacement on the team. I do appreciate his home town discount but he's not among the best 8 Qb's in the game.

That's what happens when veterans retire or move on. Veterans can also be pricier than young players.

Oh it was a bit more than that. We have 3 starters leave on defense ( yes Hilton played enough ) on defense and 3 starters leave on offense. Every team get a draft, but this free agency was very hard. Expecting an upgrade at ANY area besides Harris is hope. Hope is not a plan. We needed more hope in the draft. I do not think we did as well in round 2 and 3 as we needed. I think one of our 4th round picks is s back up special teams guy, and I think we flushed 4th round pick next year down the toilet for a guy who will be luck to be on the 53 active players on the roster. I also think not taking a CB before round seven was stupid.

I don't think that is what the author said. He said several of these rookies could become team leaders.

I think the author doesn't know the NFL. Our leaders are Watt, Heyward, and Ben. None of them were close to being leaders as rookies. That must be earned. It can happen, then again I could have had a date with Christie Brinkley in the 1990's.

Edmunds started his rookie season, DJ started his rookie season, Watt started his rookie season. I don't think Tomlin has been anti-rookie. LeBeau?..yes.

Sure if there is no one behind a high draft pick, he'll start. In the past, I have noticed Tomlin was slow to promote rookies who had someone decent in front of them. This year we have 3 rookies with nobodies ahead them.
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 05-05-2021 at 07:38 PM.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Funny how the fans applauded the soft, finesse players and concepts in years past. now all of a sudden they are happy with tough hard nose football and say it was long overdue.
    Update:
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and now 50% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.