Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big Al is a Ratbird

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

According to the Depot we should get a 3rd for Bud and a 5th for Feiler Over 6.5mil gets a 5th n Feiler was 7 mil .
    We'll need it since we already traded away our 4th. I wouldn't mind if our new TE gave us a good performance at Latrobe n in the preseason n we could move Ebron for a late pick in 22 before he walks.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Don't think there will be any comp pick at this point, will there? I think we've passed that deadline.

Sorry, but it's hard for me to see Chuks at LT as an upgrade. Maybe Moore will be able to step in early.
    Why not? I do. It's his natural position, AND he started last year for us, thus getting his feet wet in the NFL.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I know the Steelers are in cap hell this year, but starting tackles are not easy to replace. So my thoughts are if they felt like the had to have Al back, they would have found a way. I believe they were ready to move on and are invested in a move forward plan that does not include AV. I suspect no one is in mourning on the south side with how this turned out.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    I know the Steelers are in cap hell this year, but starting tackles are not easy to replace. So my thoughts are if they felt like the had to have Al back, they would have found a way. I believe they were ready to move on and are invested in a move forward plan that does not include AV. I suspect no one is in mourning on the south side with how this turned out.
    Yep. Also add the fact that they felt no urgency to draft an OT early tells me they were comfortable with their starters (or at least want to give them a chance to show themselves). Chuks has already showed a little although he wasn't great. Banner has worked his butt off to get in shape. The injury sucked but hopefully he is still motivated. I think they will know in the first month whether this line will work. Gotta tough schedule this season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Yep. Also add the fact that they felt no urgency to draft an OT early tells me they were comfortable with their starters (or at least want to give them a chance to show themselves). Chuks has already showed a little although he wasn't great. Banner has worked his butt off to get in shape. The injury sucked but hopefully he is still motivated. I think they will know in the first month whether this line will work. Gotta tough schedule this season.
    I agree that this was their assessment.

But it's probably worth noting that they were comfortable with the OL last year too.

I hope they are more correct this year. And / or that coaching changes can help bring out the talent of the guys on the roster.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I agree that this was their assessment.

But it's probably worth noting that they were comfortable with the OL last year too.

I hope they are more correct this year. And / or that coaching changes can help bring out the talent of the guys on the roster.
    In fairness, going into last season I think many people didn't see it as a problem or at least saw 2019 as the QB and injuries effect.
    But oh were we wrong.

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree that they saw it as a need, but not an urgent need. I wonder what they are truly expecting out of Green and Moore? Do they think that they uncovered gems in the middle rounds and believe that they will be ready to start in September? Maybe by mid-season? I have to assume that they are definitely slated to be starting by the start of the 2022 season.

Legend

User Info Menu

In fairness, going into last season I think many people didn't see it as a problem or at least saw 2019 as the QB and injuries effect.
    But oh were we wrong.
    I didn't see the cliff.

I did think that Pouncey was declining, but not sharply.

Backup

User Info Menu

Alejandro Villanueva takes multiple shots at Steelers; explicitly thrilled to become a Raven

Alejandro Villanueva Sends Clear Message About Lamar Jackson

An interview recently published by El Nickel on YouTube was revealed earlier today to express just how much new free agent addition Alejandro Villanueva is excited to join the Baltimore Ravens. His presser earlier on Wednesday was also revealing into his feelings on his former team, the Pittsburgh Steelers.

“I’m going to translate the most interesting things he says, not all the interview, the interview is from 23 abril just before the draft (sorry if I say something incorrect, English is not my first language).”

According to the translating commenter, Villanueva said he spoke a lot about with Ravens head coach John Harbaugh and that he found Harbaugh and Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin a lot alike. He then commented that the Ravens’ offense is “a wet dream” for any offensive linemen in the league.

According to the translating commenter, Villanueva also stated the offense in Pittsburgh was a “kamikaze mission, throwing the football 800 times from a two-point stance. that I cannot put my hand in the floor, always throwing the football, and throwing the football but I don’t know how much time the pass are going to last, the pass may last 1’5 seconds or it may last 4 seconds, to endure 60-70 passes each game, it’s the worst, the worst that can happen is that you have to pass the football in that predictable way with a quarterback that doesn’t move.”

Ravens Presser
    During his media availability, Villanueva made it perfectly clear how he felt about the wide receivers in Pittsburgh after taking a question on the Ravens’ run-first offense.

“I’m assuming it’s not as much fun for the receivers because they’re not getting all the catches, they’re making the Tik Toks and they’re having fun on social media.”

Though Villanueva said he understood this is a business, he still felt motivated to join the Ravens due to playing his former team twice a season.

It’s rather refreshing to hear candid comments from a player rather than canned responses to media. Villanueva let loose his displeasure with the scheme of the Steelers’ system and that he much prefers going after the defense in run-blocking. That’s of no surprise as every lineman to have played with the Ravens during the Lamar Jackson era has praised the scheme and ability to bully the opposing defenses. But to also state he’s motivated to play his former team twice a year, play AFC North football and comment on the wide receivers making their “Tik Toks” was something illuminating.
    2020 MNF Exec Champion

2021 draft

24 Christian Darrisaw
    OT, Virginia Tech

56 Creed Humphrey
    IOL, Oklahoma

87 Joe Tryon
    EDGE, Washington

128 Trey Sermon
    RB, Ohio State

141 Marco Wilson
    CB, Florida

Legend

User Info Menu

doesn't AV know that Lamar Jackson is a total bust in the NFL who has set the Ravens franchise back years?

Villanueva on protecting Lamar Jackson: "There's certain players in NFL that truly inspire you to get the best out of you. When you see Lamar Jackson play, you want to do everything you can to protect him." Compared athletic feats that Jackson does to what Le'Veon Bell used to do

Jeff Zrebiec (@jeffzrebiec) May 5, 2021
    Steel Maniac predicted no RBs would be chosen in the 1st round, so of course we selected:

1(24) Najee Harris RB Alabama