Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grading Past Tomlin/Colbert Drafts

Legend

User Info Menu

Grading Past Tomlin/Colbert Drafts

Iíve read a lot of comments that we canít grade a draft until years later once we see how it pans out.

So letís look back at the history of Tomlin/Colbert drafts. How would you grade them from 2007-2020?

Im gonna call the 2007, 2010, 2017, and 2020 drafts positives and the rest meh.

Thats 4 out of 16 drafts being good. Thatís a 25% success rate. And in my unofficial pass/fail grading, I just want 3 high quality players out of a draft class that can stick and contribute meaningfully. Iím not just counting bodies and playing time. The guys have to meet some standard of quality imho to be worth a positive grade.

And Iím ready to include even 2020 as we traded our #1 for Minkah which adds to a very solid class already. I donít have to wait 3-4 years to judge what weíve got. I think 1 can suffice in some cases.

Looking at the current draft thru this lens, we need 3 solid contributors for it to go in my positive category. I think thereís a pretty good chance Harris and Fry will be contributors. The rest, I dunno? They should get there chances given the holes on our roster so Iíd guess that the chances will get us over the hump this year.

Overall, historic odds say thereís a 75% chance we have a subpar draft class this year. Using Flippy math and ratings of course which are in exact.

How would you grade past drafts from 2007-2020? What do those drafts tell you about expectations for the current class?

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Harris will be good barring injury.

I also think we'll get starting snaps out of Fry and Green because Ebron is leaving after this year IMO and we don't have other good centers on the team.

Hopefully some of the defensive guys can be rotational players (Johnson, Roche, Norwood).

The punter has a good chance of starting too. That's worth something.

Could be like last year where we get everyone to contribute something. But that's pretty unusual.

Starter

User Info Menu

2007 - Three starters, two pro bowl level. Grade A

College/Univ
    2007 1 Lawrence Timmons 15 LB 2017 0 1 9 71 172 12 35.5 Florida St.
    2007 2 LaMarr Woodley 46 DE 2015 0 1 7 54 110 5 58.0 Michigan
    2007 3 Matt Spaeth 77 TE 2015 0 0 6 2 123 55 420 10 Minnesota
    2007 4 Daniel Sepulveda 112 P 2011 0 0 0 7 52 2 2 65 0 0 Baylor
    2007 4 Ryan McBean 132 DT 2012 0 0 1 11 47 4.0 Oklahoma St.
    2007 5 Cameron Stephenson 156 G 0 0 0 Rutgers
    2007 5 William Gay 170 DB 2017 0 0 7 54 176 13 7.0 Louisville
    2007 7 Dallas Baker 227 WR 2008 0 0 0 0 8 1 6 0 Florida

2008: Terrible. Just Mendy. The rest were not even good back ups. Grade D+

Yds TD Rec Yds TD Int Sk College/Univ
    2008 1 Rashard Mendenhall 23 RB 2013 0 0 4 29 72 1081 4236 37 95 795 2 Illinois
    2008 2 Limas Sweed 53 WR 2009 0 0 0 1 20 7 69 0 Texas
    2008 3 Bruce Davis 88 LB 2011 0 0 0 0 15 UCLA
    2008 4 Tony Hills 130 T 2016 0 0 0 0 33 Texas
    2008 5 Dennis Dixon 156 QB 2014 0 0 0 2 4 35 59 402 1 2 10 56 1 Oregon
    2008 6 Mike Humpal 188 LB 0 0 0 Iowa
    2008 6 Ryan Mundy 194 DB 2014 0 0 1 14 96 1 33 0 6 2.0 West Virginia
    Plan to spend $110,094,402 in cap space in 2022 and have 4 comp picks + what we have in the 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

See post from 4-27.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Iíve read a lot of comments that we canít grade a draft until years later once we see how it pans out.

So letís look back at the history of Tomlin/Colbert drafts. How would you grade them from 2007-2020?

Im gonna call the 2007, 2010, 2017, and 2020 drafts positives and the rest meh.

Thats 4 out of 16 drafts being good. Thatís a 25% success rate. And in my unofficial pass/fail grading, I just want 3 high quality players out of a draft class that can stick and contribute meaningfully. Iím not just counting bodies and playing time. The guys have to meet some standard of quality imho to be worth a positive grade.

And Iím ready to include even 2020 as we traded our #1 for Minkah which adds to a very solid class already. I donít have to wait 3-4 years to judge what weíve got. I think 1 can suffice in some cases.

Looking at the current draft thru this lens, we need 3 solid contributors for it to go in my positive category. I think thereís a pretty good chance Harris and Fry will be contributors. The rest, I dunno? They should get there chances given the holes on our roster so Iíd guess that the chances will get us over the hump this year.

Overall, historic odds say thereís a 75% chance we have a subpar draft class this year. Using Flippy math and ratings of course which are in exact.

How would you grade past drafts from 2007-2020? What do those drafts tell you about expectations for the current class?
    What is the criteria for good vs bad? Here's a study with actual numbers. For the draft capital spent, the Steelers have done remarkably well.

By the numbers, in order of best to worst Steelers drafts:

1. 2010
    2. 2017
    3. 2011
    4. 2013
    5. 2012
    6. 2019
    7. 2016
    8. 2014
    9. 2018
    10. 2015

If you go on the read the details around the question; "is there a team that consistently drafts better than others?" (they get into some statistical stuff) they conclude:

What this all tells me is that drafting well is a lot of luck, mixed with some skill and an extra layer of a random "jackpot" on top (the one or two later-round picks each draft that become unexpected Hall of Famers). This would explain the data we see (including the outliers) pretty well. The Seahawks are probably pretty good at drafting, but also had some crazy luck in hitting three jackpots in a row (Wilson, Wagner, and Richard Sherman). What this should tell NFL teams is that you need to roll the dice as many times as you can (trading down for additional value whenever possible), get the best GM you can possibly find, and get the top coaches in the league to develop the talent you draft -- which is what we already see consistently good teams generally do.

Not very exciting but certainly expected I think. So how does this align with team performance? Well if your team is a consistent winner, it likely comes down to coaching, right?

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/st...ency-2010-2019

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    What is the criteria for good vs bad? Here's a study with actual numbers. For the draft capital spent, the Steelers have done remarkably well.

1. 2010
    2. 2017
    3. 2011
    4. 2013
    5. 2012
    6. 2019
    7. 2016
    8. 2014
    9. 2018
    10. 2015

If you go on the read the details around the question; "is there a team that consistently drafts better than others?" (they get into some statistical stuff) they conclude:

What this all tells me is that drafting well is a lot of luck, mixed with some skill and an extra layer of a random "jackpot" on top (the one or two later-round picks each draft that become unexpected Hall of Famers). This would explain the data we see (including the outliers) pretty well. The Seahawks are probably pretty good at drafting, but also had some crazy luck in hitting three jackpots in a row (Wilson, Wagner, and Richard Sherman). What this should tell NFL teams is that you need to roll the dice as many times as you can (trading down for additional value whenever possible), get the best GM you can possibly find, and get the top coaches in the league to develop the talent you draft -- which is what we already see consistently good teams generally do.

Not very exciting but certainly expected I think. So how does this align with team performance? Well if your team is a consistent winner, it likely comes down to coaching, right?

Added the average media grades...gotta say at least they are consistent! The funny thing is 2015 was apparently the worst draft as rated by FO but the media numerically graded as the second highest...haahahhaa.

2010 (avg media grade = B-)
    2017 (B-)
    2011 (B-)
    2013 (B)
    2012 (B-)
    2019 (B-)....note; 3 "A-", and one "D")
    2016 (B-)
    2014 (B)...Kiper gave us an "A"!
    2018 (C+)
    2015 (B)

Legend

User Info Menu

1. 2010
    2. 2017
    3. 2011
    4. 2013
    5. 2012
    6. 2019
    7. 2016
    8. 2014
    9. 2018
    10. 2015

Thx for the info.

My criteria is as usual based on my gut feeling about something. And I like looking at data to prove myself right or wrong.

I think my gut is close to your ranked 2010-2019 list. I have the top 2 in my good list and I also had 2007 and 2020 in my list.

25% sounds like a low success rate, but it could go up to a 30% success rate if 2021 is a good draft which I expect it will be.

And 25-30% gets a lot of hitters paid a lot of money by the MLB. And it probably aligns pretty well with a successful team at drafting.

The info in your data goes along the lines of my thinking in many scenarios as I always lean toward taking a chance on boom or bust players and trading back to pick up more picks.

I tend to think the Steelers play a little too conservative in their picks and donít play the numbers by trading back to amass more picks.

But maybe their gambles are more calculated/nuanced in drafting players with position flexibility. And maybe they are betting big given the number of mediocre years we see because it really is a crap shoot.

Overall Iím in the camp of the Steelers doing relatively well on average.

Legend

User Info Menu

Added the average media grades...gotta say at least they are consistent! The funny thing is 2015 was apparently the worst draft as rated by FO but the media numerically graded as the second highest...haahahhaa.

2010 (avg media grade = B-)
    2017 (B-)
    2011 (B-)
    2013 (B)
    2012 (B-)
    2019 (B-)....note; 3 "A-", and one "D")
    2016 (B-)
    2014 (B)...Kiper gave us an "A"!
    2018 (C+)
    2015 (B)
    Thats an interesting comparison. So the pundits know nothing as well.

I feel like everyone gives everyone Bs and Cs unless a team picks a guy they love or if a team has a top pick and gets some top 10 talent the pundit loves.

Legend

User Info Menu

Thats an interesting comparison. So the pundits know nothing as well.

I feel like everyone gives everyone Bs and Cs unless a team picks a guy they love or if a team has a top pick and gets some top 10 talent the pundit loves.
    I don't think it's that they don't know anything.

I think it's that drafting is really hard.

My guess is that it's like stock picking and very few people do it consistently well. And if you think about the million monkeys on a typewriter, it's possible that no one really does it well but some of them end up with Shakespeare anyway.

Legend

User Info Menu

Thx for the info.

My criteria is as usual based on my gut feeling about something. And I like looking at data to prove myself right or wrong.

I think my gut is close to your ranked 2010-2019 list. I have the top 2 in my good list and I also had 2007 and 2020 in my list.

25% sounds like a low success rate, but it could go up to a 30% success rate if 2021 is a good draft which I expect it will be.

And 25-30% gets a lot of hitters paid a lot of money by the MLB. And it probably aligns pretty well with a successful team at drafting.

The info in your data goes along the lines of my thinking in many scenarios as I always lean toward taking a chance on boom or bust players and trading back to pick up more picks.

I tend to think the Steelers play a little too conservative in their picks and don’t play the numbers by trading back to amass more picks.

But maybe their gambles are more calculated/nuanced in drafting players with position flexibility. And maybe they are betting big given the number of mediocre years we see because it really is a crap shoot.

Overall I’m in the camp of the Steelers doing relatively well on average.
    I agree flippy. I was looking to see if more recent drafts graded differently than previous. Has Colbert & Co lost their edge? I don't see any trends there. I think they really, really need 2020 and 2021 drafts to work out well. Otherwise I see wallowing in mediocre play for at least several years as aging vets retire. With a new QB looming, things are going to get very testy on this board if they don't get it right.

Legend

User Info Menu

How would draft grades move if you include UDFAs? I think that the Steelers always seem to have one or two make the team and at some point contribute.