Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NFLPA At It Again

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    This is why I think sports unions will always end up caving if owners are patient.

It's a very time limited career and it doesn't make sense for young guys who are fighting for jobs (probably the vast majority of the membership) to make concessions for the long term benefit of the (i) superstars who play long enough to see the rewards or (ii) future young players.

And they're asking these guys to sacrifice something that's actually good for them. I think there will be lots of players that come to work because the difference between getting cut and making the team (or even the practice squad) is so huge.
    I think the union is doing the right thing.

I seriously doubt the vets are trying to trick younger players into not showing up to keep their jobs.

I doubt any rookie wins a roster spot in April or May by attending OTA’s.

If you are desperate for a gig you will go above and beyond. But you soon learn once you have a season or 2 under your belt that above and beyond isn’t what secures your roster spot.

Winning the battles on the field in pads is what gets you paid.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    This is a real possibility. They want players that wanna play. And given the disposition of some of these guys they drafted I don't think they give a rat's patootie what the union has to say on it.

Green: "get me in camp, I wanna hit somebody" (...my words)
    Are they hitting in OTA’s?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Green is. He knows how to win over the fans.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the union is doing the right thing.

I seriously doubt the vets are trying to trick younger players into not showing up to keep their jobs.

If you are desperate for a gig you will go above and beyond. But you soon learn once you have a season or 2 under your belt that above and beyond isn’t what secures your roster spot.

I disagree. Staying home keeps you from advancing. Some players need to advance, others are comfortable. Telling those who could benefit to stay away is detrimental to those players.

I would be happy with a statement that says something like "Every player must do the best thing for themselves and their families. For any player not comfortable attending off-season workouts, we will fight to ensure that no fines or penalties are imposed on you. Take your time, discuss it with your loved ones, and make the right choice for you."

A statement encouraging players to stay away could cost a young kid a roster spot. A kid coming out of college who was drafted in the sixth round and stays away probably goes from having a shot at making an NFL roster to no shot. Anyone who feels comfortable being there should not avoid it because Demaurice Smith tells him to.

Legend

User Info Menu

It's rookie mini-camp. Rookies need all the reps they can get. I have no clue what goes on there but the coaches certainly aren't there for themselves. And if you think the vets don't have an agenda, then why can't the union come out with a more neutral stance?? Like "it's your decision, do what you think is best". This is the part of unions I detest. They want to do the thinking for you. Maybe for a lot of guys that works because they don't want to think. I'm not in that group.

Legend

User Info Menu

This is kind of an odd take to me.

Doing well in Rookie Camp / OTAs / etc is what gets bubble guys the opportunity to play. And they can't "win battles on the field in pads" from the sideline. Which is where they will stay if they don't win the trust of the coaches.

I think that Duck is a great example of this.

If he didn't get a chance to show his ability over a bunch of practices / activities, the team probably wouldn't have built up the confidence to trade Dobbs.

Then Duck doesn't make the league and misses out on what is essentially a life changing amount of money* over his 3 years in the league. Now he's set for life provided he was half-way frugal with those game checks.

Him being able to prove himself throughout all the off season events probably makes a huge impact on his life for the next 50 or so years (provided he was halfway frugal with those game checks).

This is a HUGE deal for bubble guys. Especially those who didn't get much of an education while they were in school where it's either NFL or bust.

* He's earned $600k so far (at 25) and is scheduled to make $800k this year and $900k this year (if he can hold on to his job).
    https://overthecap.com/player/devlin-hodges/8530/
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 05-04-2021 at 06:18 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

I suspect you can get guys prepared in person or remotely and it’s not a huge delta. But what is missing is the human interaction and the personal bonding. These guys are missing out on all the non football stuff and I bet that’s a bigger deal.

Spending time after practice with teammates and coaches is probably more important than the on field stuff.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    This is kind of an odd take to me.

Doing well in Rookie Camp / OTAs / etc is what gets bubble guys the opportunity to play. And they can't "win battles on the field in pads" from the sideline. Which is where they will stay if they don't win the trust of the coaches.

I think that Duck is a great example of this.

If he didn't get a chance to show his ability over a bunch of practices / activities, the team probably wouldn't have built up the confidence to trade Dobbs.

Then Duck doesn't make the league and misses out on what is essentially a life changing amount of money* over his 3 years in the league. Now he's set for life provided he was half-way frugal with those game checks.

Him being able to prove himself throughout all the off season events probably makes a huge impact on his life for the next 50 or so years (provided he was halfway frugal with those game checks).

This is a HUGE deal for bubble guys. Especially those who didn't get much of an education while they were in school where it's either NFL or bust.

* He's earned $600k so far (at 25) and is scheduled to make $800k this year and $900k this year (if he can hold on to his job).
    https://overthecap.com/player/devlin-hodges/8530/
    wait.. you think confidence in Duck is why we traded Dobbs? LMAO

We traded Dobbs because we got a pick for him not because Duck gave them confidence.

This isn’t a union telling players to stay away simply to protect vets jobs. Its a freaking virus.

They are telling players to stay away because there is a possibility of getting covid and missing more time.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    It's rookie mini-camp. Rookies need all the reps they can get. I have no clue what goes on there but the coaches certainly aren't there for themselves. And if you think the vets don't have an agenda, then why can't the union come out with a more neutral stance?? Like "it's your decision, do what you think is best". This is the part of unions I detest. They want to do the thinking for you. Maybe for a lot of guys that works because they don't want to think. I'm not in that group.
    NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith said the union’s main message to players is that “it’s safer not to go,” but every player can decide for himself. “This is not a boycott. This is not a strike. This is not a labor action,” Smith said.

“Players have the right to make their own decisions about what to do with respect to offseason training activities. We made it clear

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I just want to ask where are people getting their info from?

If there is new new info let me know but it feels like some of you are trying to make it Black and White when there is a lot of gray area.