Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NFLPA At It Again

Legend

User Info Menu

NFLPA At It Again

There is clearly an agenda here. The NFLPA is catering to the veteran players hoping to hang on to their spots.

GET VACCINATED AND GET YOUR BUTTS INTO CAMP!

Aaron Wilson
    @AaronWilson_NFL
    DeMaurice Smith recommended that rookies not attend rookie minicamps. There was pushback from agents, especially those who represent undrafted free agents, One emphasized agents have fiduciary responsibility to give clients' best possible chance to make team by attending

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    There is clearly an agenda here. The NFLPA is catering to the veteran players hoping to hang on to their spots.

GET VACCINATED AND GET YOUR BUTTS INTO CAMP!

Aaron Wilson
    @AaronWilson_NFL
    DeMaurice Smith recommended that rookies not attend rookie minicamps. There was pushback from agents, especially those who represent undrafted free agents, One emphasized agents have fiduciary responsibility to give clients' best possible chance to make team by attending

No one should be shocked the union leans towards veterans. But every player gets a vote.. whether rookie or vet.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Given that the Steelers rated guys who opted out lower, does that likely mean we have more rookies that would more likely want to show up to work?

Seems like this might impact some and not others. Hard to measure the impact.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Given that the Steelers rated guys who opted out lower, does that likely mean we have more rookies that would more likely want to show up to work?

I think it doesn’t matter. Players are free to decide for themselves right?

My understanding is the NFLPA is just giving players protection from punishment if they choose not to attend.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    No one should be shocked the union leans towards veterans. But every player gets a vote.. whether rookie or vet.
    This is why I think sports unions will always end up caving if owners are patient.

It's a very time limited career and it doesn't make sense for young guys who are fighting for jobs (probably the vast majority of the membership) to make concessions for the long term benefit of the (i) superstars who play long enough to see the rewards or (ii) future young players.

And they're asking these guys to sacrifice something that's actually good for them. I think there will be lots of players that come to work because the difference between getting cut and making the team (or even the practice squad) is so huge.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Not sure how Smith phrased it, but in the end it might work out better for many of the young players who do attend. We all know the expression "you can't make the club from the tub" but the same applies to staying at home, it just doesn't rhyme so it is not as popular an expression. Veteran starters have no concerns. Heyward, Tuitt, Decastro, Haden etc. will make the team whether they attend OTAs or not. In the meantime, the coaches will have the chance to evaluate closer those more intriguing questions:

Is James Pierre ready to make a meaningful contribution?
    Will Green and Moore be ready for day one after a summer of tutelage under Adrian Klemm?
    Will Ben show up and shake off the stink of last season?
    Who will be there to learn a new offense?
    Is Bush really back?
    Who will play beside him? And will everyone who has a shot be there?
    Can anyone emerge from the crowd at Dline amongst Davis, Buggs, Wormley, or Loudermilk?

It used to be that every year several vets leaguewide would miss OTAs under the guise of "contract holdout". Suddenly, and without renegotiations, they reappear in time for training camp or the pre-season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post

This is a real possibility. They want players that wanna play. And given the disposition of some of these guys they drafted I don't think they give a rat's patootie what the union has to say on it.

Green: "get me in camp, I wanna hit somebody" (...my words)
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 05-04-2021 at 02:21 PM.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

i would show up

union isn't going to do anything for me if i don't make the team

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    This is a real possibility. They want players that wanna play. And given the disposition of some of these guys they drafted I don't think they give a rat's patootie what the union has to say on it.

Green: "get me in camp, I wanna hit somebody" (...my words)
    Since we want big contributions from our first 3 picks, I really hope they all show up for as many team activities as possible.

Harris is maybe the exception here since good running backs seem to be plug and play and he seems to be a good RB.

I think the time and reps will be pretty important for both Freiermuth (TEs typically have a tough transition in their rookie years) and Green (didn't play much C in college).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Black&Gold View Post
    i would show up

union isn't going to do anything for me if i don't make the team
    Yep.

It's not the same thing, but we were forced to be in a union when I was a TA doing my Master's degree.

It's a 2 year program where something like 25% - 30% of our income comes via TA.

They wanted to go on strike because TAs in the humanities apparently weren't getting paid as much as we were (and potentially other grievances).

But I would have crossed the line if it came to it. It doesn't make sense to give up a good chunk of my salary when it also means giving up as much as 50% of my time in the position.

Going to those meetings was crazy. We lived in Hamilton (which is kind of like Pittsburgh light in Canada). The TA Union was partnered with the steel workers, so the big meeting where we were voting whether or not to strike had a bunch of TAs (read: want to be professors) being "motivated" by grizzled labor union guys yelling about how the president of the university was making his decisions "from his yacht" or something. All of us had designs on eventually being that person, so the emotional appeal fell flat on a bunch of us (maybe not the people in the humanities who weren't getting paid much for their services?).

It was crazy to me how little they thought about who their audience was. You could tell they were just trotting out their normal troupes without ever wondering if they'd land.