Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Steelers are choosing to decline Terrell Edmunds’ 5th year option

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    That's not necessarily true. Just because 1st round players don't always pan out doesn't always mean they were reaches.
    Edmunds is a slightly above average safety

but i was surprised that we didnt pick up his fifth year option because we dont really have anyone behind him thats any good

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    pretty much cements the opinion that many here said he was a big reach in the 1st were right

anything else is just smoke
    Yup, yup. Indeed.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    Yup, yup. Indeed.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    thats funny

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    pretty much cements the opinion that many here said he was a big reach in the 1st were right

anything else is just smoke
    or it means we don’t want to pay him X amount of dollars.

We are still in cap purgatory and have no idea what the cap will be next year.

I could see if he was cut or released but it seems a bit premature to claim victory.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Not surprised they didn't pick up the option on Edmunds. He was a reach pick who has improved, but not enough to warrant that kind of money.
    its going to be hilarious when we resign him and this board blows a gasket.

No idea what happens but I could definitely see us extending him with a contract that gives us more flexibility in regards to the cap.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    its going to be hilarious when we resign him and this board blows a gasket.

No idea what happens but I could definitely see us extending him with a contract that gives us more flexibility in regards to the cap.
    I was thinking this too.

But then I was listening to the latest Terrible Podcast. They pointed out that a long term deal with him could increase his cap hit for this year. And that's not something we can really do.

I still think it could happen, but I am less optimistic about it than I was when I first posted in this thread.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I was thinking this too.

But then I was listening to the latest Terrible Podcast. They pointed out that a long term deal with him could increase his cap hit for this year. And that's not something we can really do.

I still think it could happen, but I am less optimistic about it than I was when I first posted in this thread.
    I believe that you can sign him to an extension, including signing bonus, that all kicks in starting next year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I was thinking this too.

I’m not a cap guy but I would think we could do this and have it count towards next year.

No idea how the 5th year works but a quick search shows that teams sometimes pass but still end up retaining them long term.. just at a cheaper price.

With the cap being unknown next year it makes sense to try and save a few coins.

Not saying we aren’t thinking about moving on but I don’t think refusing a 5th year means we are done with him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I believe that you can sign him to an extension, including signing bonus, that all kicks in starting next year.
    I didn't know that.

That would be good if possible.

I thought you needed to do extensions so that the SB was prorated from the time of signing (and usually accompanied by ratcheting the 1st year salary to the minimum).

If everything could just kick in next year, that would give us way more flexibility.