Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 71

Thread: The Steelers are choosing to decline Terrell Edmunds’ 5th year option

  1. #31
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    I thought they would attempt to keep Edmunds one more year to keep their safety duo together. He could still return. Sometimes taking a little less money is better than the alternative.

  2. #32
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I don't think he is done or they are displeased. I believe they will try to negotiate a 4 year contract at a better price.

    He is not a bad player is is always available and plays well with Minkah.

    If they don't retain him then they will have a ton of cap space to go after a Safety they like. Like I always say, they are thinking 4 moves ahead of any of us.
    I wish they were thinking 4 moves ahead when they drafted him

  3. #33
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    pretty much cements the opinion that many here said he was a big reach in the 1st were right

    anything else is just smoke

  4. #34
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    pretty much cements the opinion that many here said he was a big reach in the 1st were right

    anything else is just smoke
    It happens when you don't have plan B players. They got rid of hitman Mitchell and Sean Davis was fairly green. The secondary was a mess in that time frame. They got desperate and needed a body.
    People forget Edmunds started 15 games his rookie season. How often did the Steelers do something like that? Struggled as one would expect when thrown into the fire that quick. In hindsight you might grab Bates in the second, which still would have been a reach. And it's not out of the question Edmunds is back with the team on a friendlier contract.

  5. #35
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    pretty much cements the opinion that many here said he was a big reach in the 1st were right

    anything else is just smoke
    .......................
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

    Dolphin fans in the 90’s who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70’s...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

  6. #36
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    It happens when you don't have plan B players. They got rid of hitman Mitchell and Sean Davis was fairly green. The secondary was a mess in that time frame. They got desperate and needed a body.
    People forget Edmunds started 15 games his rookie season. How often did the Steelers do something like that? Struggled as one would expect when thrown into the fire that quick. In hindsight you might grab Bates in the second, which still would have been a reach. And it's not out of the question Edmunds is back with the team on a friendlier contract.
    But North..

    Your suggesting that a team of people who are paid to do this had no plan B? But we have a couple of posters who keep saying the Front office is always prepared and planning ahead and always knows more then the ones who are only fans.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

    Dolphin fans in the 90’s who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70’s...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

  7. #37
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Tre Norwood could be an answer to the Steelers Terrell Edmunds problem

    Curt Popejoy
    May 4, 2021

    On Monday it was reported the Pittsburgh Steelers were not going to pick up the fifth-year option on safety Terrell Edmunds. This means Edmunds will be allowed to hit free agency at the end of the 2021 NFL season.

    This doesn’t automatically preclude the Steelers from keeping Edmunds after 2021 but it is fair to assume Pittsburgh is betting on him not having a season that will drive up his market value.

    But it might not matter. The Steelers might have a plan in place already. Pittsburgh drafted Antoine Brooks in the sixth round of the 2020 draft and I’m sure he will have an opportunity for an increased role.

    However, according to Steelers beat writer Mark Kaboly, Pittsburgh is also looking at rookie Tre Norwood to make the switch to safety as well.

    Pittsburgh also added multiple defensive backs as undrafted free agents and any of them could be trying out to be the next Steelers starting safety as well.

    The Steelers always seem to draft with an eye to the future. I assumed drafting Norwood was with an eye to an unknown future for Justin Layne and the slot cornerback position but it might have been about Edmunds and finding a player to pair up with Minkah Fitzpatrick all along.

    https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...rrell-edmunds/
    Steel Maniac predicted no RBs would be chosen in the 1st round, so of course we selected:

    1(24) Najee Harris RB Alabama


  8. #38
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    But North..

    Your suggesting that a team of people who are paid to do this had no plan B? But we have a couple of posters who keep saying the Front office is always prepared and planning ahead and always knows more then the ones who are only fans.
    The organization does its best to be prepared. They can't account or be prepared for everything that happens.

    The organization knows more than the fans. They know more about players, the draft, ect.

    No one is perfect.

  9. #39
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    pretty much cements the opinion that many here said he was a big reach in the 1st were right

    anything else is just smoke
    That's not necessarily true. Just because 1st round players don't always pan out doesn't always mean they were reaches.

  10. #40
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    I wish they were thinking 4 moves ahead when they drafted him
    Team's can't always be prepared in a league where they are limited by the salary capp and the limited amount of quality players they can stock pile as backups.

    There are simply not enough quality players to go around accross the board. This is one reason why I'm against adding more games and expanding rosters. The quality of play could drop as a result.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •