Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Steelers are choosing to decline Terrell Edmunds’ 5th year option

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Black&Gold View Post
    Edmunds is a slightly above average safety

but i was surprised that we didnt pick up his fifth year option because we dont really have anyone behind him thats any good
    They will find someone to play the position if they decide to let Edmunds walk. They could resign Edmunds so we shall see.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I didn't know that.

That would be good if possible.

I thought you needed to do extensions so that the SB was prorated from the time of signing (and usually accompanied by ratcheting the 1st year salary to the minimum).

If everything could just kick in next year, that would give us way more flexibility.
    Post june 1 I think.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Now
    @PghSteelersNow

May 6

#Steelers GM Kevin Colbert said the team not picking up the fifth-year option of SS Terrell Edmunds was about the salary cap, not his performance.

https://twitter.com/PghSteelersNow/s..._&ref_url=
    Dolphin fans in the 90’s who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70’s...

Were absolutely correct. Miami hasn't won squat ever since Shula left.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Steelers Now
    @PghSteelersNow

May 6

#Steelers GM Kevin Colbert said the team not picking up the fifth-year option of SS Terrell Edmunds was about the salary cap, not his performance.

https://twitter.com/PghSteelersNow/s...5Es1_&ref_url=
    Don't buy it. What was the 5th year option? If Edmunds was a better player he'd be taken care of.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Don't buy it. What was the 5th year option? If Edmunds was a better player he'd be taken care of.
    See the OP on the option. He isn't worth that kind of money but I would say he gets signed for $4M/yr.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    details are in the thread somewhere.

Definitely think the cap shrinking this year makes for more tough decisions when crunching the numbers.

committing $17 Mill guaranteed to the safety positions before working on Watts contract?
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Steelers Now
    @PghSteelersNow

May 6

https://twitter.com/PghSteelersNow/s...5Es1_&ref_url=
    It's the intersection of salary and performance. In a way the draft is similar in that it's the intersection of ability and need. The balance of those is the formula.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Post june 1 I think.
    There you go, I've learned my "one thing" for the day. I can kick back for the rest of the afternoon

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    details are in the thread somewhere.

Definitely think the cap shrinking this year makes for more tough decisions when crunching the numbers.

committing $17 Mill guaranteed to the safety positions before working on Watts contract?
    This is a “ time will tell” situation. The residual Covid year situations makes things cloudy to forecast on either side. Once fans are back in the stands and all revenue streams are looking somewhat normal, then owners can get a firm idea of what the cap will be next year.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90’s who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70’s...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    This is a “ time will tell” situation. The residual Covid year situations makes things cloudy to forecast on either side. Once fans are back in the stands and all revenue streams are looking somewhat normal, then owners can get a firm idea of what the cap will be next year.
    we have a ton of cap space for next year but we have a lot of big contracts to work on.

I don’t blame the FO for not wanting to commit to 6.7 Mill for Edmunds next year.

He may very well be done in Pittsburgh but I think its more so about flexibility with the cap space. Edmunds could still sign for a contract that averages out to $6 mill per year but the way its structured could give us more wiggle room next year vs locking in for 6.7 mill fully guaranteed.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?