Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Steelers are choosing to decline Terrell Edmunds’ 5th year option

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    "I made my mind up before seeing him play in the NFL, and I am not willing to change my opinion despite any evidence to the contrary".

It's not as egregious as if he won the league MVP and you still think he sucks
    kinda like someone who predicted Lamar Jackson would be a total flop in the NFL and just can't bring himself to admit he was wrong.
    Dolphin fans in the 90’s who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70’s...

Were absolutely correct. Miami hasn't won squat ever since Shula left.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Edmunds plays more like a 3rd 4th rounder then a 1. I'm a bit surprised they still didn't extend him but that's football. We'll likely go in another direction and that's ok.
    So a year from now we're seriously going to miss not having a 4th rounder especially if we are going to also need a starting SS . We'll have the qb question, possible wr issue if JuJu goes along with O line ,edge rusher and 3 tech as well as corner problems. Many areas of need and again not enough picks to fill the holes. And a late 3rd for Bud is only a small answer to the problem.
    Tomlin n Colbert have to do a better job of accumulating draft assets if we are to return to an elite level team.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    Edmunds plays more like a 3rd 4th rounder then a 1. I'm a bit surprised they still didn't extend him but that's football. We'll likely go in another direction and that's ok.
    So a year from now we're seriously going to miss not having a 4th rounder especially if we are going to also need a starting SS . We'll have the qb question, possible wr issue if JuJu goes along with O line ,edge rusher and 3 tech as well as corner problems. Many areas of need and again not enough picks to fill the holes. And a late 3rd for Bud is only a small answer to the problem.
    Tomlin n Colbert have to do a better job of accumulating draft assets if we are to return to an elite level team.
    Not all about the draft. Glass half full...over $100M in cap space next year!!!! Do they get any credit for that???
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm surprised by the decision on Edmunds. The 5th year option of $6.7 is a pretty modest price tag. It's more than he is worth now, but not drastically. If he takes another step forward, it would probably be roughly in line with the salary expectations for a young starter. I would love to see the Steelers sign Edmunds to a modest extension, and maybe they plan to do so without setting the floor at $6.7/year annually. Not that I think Edmunds is great, but the Steelers have a lot of needs next year - QB (probably), CB, OL (it will take 2-3 drafts to rebuild) - and do not need to create another need.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Not all about the draft. Glass half full...over $100M in cap space next year!!!! Do they get any credit for that???
    Yes of course. Good point but I would rather build through the draft then free agents. We will be a team in need come 22.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    My opinion dated to the day he was drafted was Edmunds was a 3rd round talent. In fact thats where I mocked him. He did better last season thats to a fierce pass rush, a simplified coverage ( For him ) and Fitzsimmons playing next to him. His angles to the ball need work, He's not a hitter or wrap up tackler ( I think he lead the team in missed tackles ) he doesn't turn his head around while running, and last year aside, he's not a splash play type of guy.

He's not worth a 1st round option. Next year hopefully Colbert focuses on the DB's a bit more.
    that's about the funniest damned, self important knowing more that the steelers GM post i've ever read...

he was a 3rd round talent cuz i mocked him there... dude, i about peed myself.

Keep up the good work, Joel
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think most of the reason we have that much cap space is that contracts ended and we don't have very many players signed.

It will be interesting to see how they use the space they have.

And if the mid-tier UFA market is still depressed, it could be great to have space with few guys under contract.

I really hope that this isn't Colbert's last year. I think next off season will be very important and I'd prefer to have a known good GM in charge because the chances of screwing up is really high.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think most of the reason we have that much cap space is that contracts ended and we don't have very many players signed.

It will be interesting to see how they use the space they have.

And if the mid-tier UFA market is still depressed, it could be great to have space with few guys under contract.

I really hope that this isn't Colbert's last year. I think next off season will be very important and I'd prefer to have a known good GM in charge because the chances of screwing up is really high.
    Agreed - and I'd prefer to have him for 2 more... at least one after Mason's year and they need a QB...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Agreed - and I'd prefer to have him for 2 more... at least one after Mason's year and they need a QB...
    I just saw a 2022 mock draft that has 6 QBs going in the first round including Tyler Shough from Texas Tech going to the Steelers:

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic...794056#slide_1
    Dolphin fans in the 90’s who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70’s...

Were absolutely correct. Miami hasn't won squat ever since Shula left.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I just saw a 2022 mock draft that has 6 QBs going in the first round including Tyler Shough from Texas Tech going to the Steelers:

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic...794056#slide_1
    At this point, that's all they know is the QBs so that likely includes a Trask or two.... in fact, right after last year's draft, pretty sure i saw Jamie Newman mocked to the steelers in the first - he went undrafted.