Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Pre-Draft" thoughts by Moats about our new tight end

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    I love the way Friermuth catches the ball. He looks very natural and sure handed. Not uber-athletic, but he can have his way with smaller safeties by effectively high-pointing, which he seems to do well, and LBs should stuggle to cover him as Moats was talking about

Here’s hoping we see all that from him. A lot of us wanted an O-line guy in this spot ; others linebackers etc. etc.

But if this kid can show glimpses of that this year ( usually TE’s don’t show too much in their first year) and be our legit TE going forward than it was a fine pick.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Here’s hoping we see all that from him. A lot of us wanted an O-line guy in this spot ; others linebackers etc. etc.
    how about just drafting the BPA that fills a need for the Steelers which Freiermuth did.

I put my trust in Colbert, you seemingly don't anymore for some reason.
    Steel Maniac predicted no RBs would be chosen in the 1st round, so of course we selected:

1(24) Najee Harris RB Alabama

Legend

User Info Menu

Will we just chant HEEEAAAATH every time he makes a catch.

Gonna be funny if the crowd tries his actual name.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    people are saying he needs to be heath miller for the selection to be effective.

but honestly i think heath is the floor in the passing game, he looks much more fluid and athletic catching the ball and running after the catch. heath could be 30 yards away from the end zone and a DB at the 50 would catch him
    I think he'll probably be pretty good.

But I also think we desperately needed a C.

To me Fry and Green are tired at the hip.

If Green doesn't work out, it makes this pick look bad IMO. Because we could have had the 2nd best C, which seems more important to us now than the 2nd best TE. Especially given the perceived drop of from TE1 to TE2.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    heath was great for what he was. a 2 way TE. great hands, knew how to get open, good/great blocker

that said, being nice, i'd say he wasn't known for his speed. lol
    Heath Miller ran a 4.87, Friermuth about a 4.72, but is all relative. Players are faster these days. The front seven is also more undersized, so with a few extra pounds Friermuth can handle the LB's. As I watched the draft I never so many 4.3 guys go in one draft.

It's okay for me, I want the TE role somewhat limited in this offense as a receiver. Let Friermuth focus non being a red zone weapon and bulk up a bit to help Harris get outside.
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 05-03-2021 at 07:40 AM.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

Legend

User Info Menu

Another reason why Ebron won't be in Pittsburgh past this season.... why diss a fellow teammate in public like this??

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kWpSos][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2kWpSos]ebrU[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/191750946@N04/]R W[/url], on Flickr
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 05-03-2021 at 07:49 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Another reason why Ebron won't be in Pittsburgh past this season.... why diss a fellow teammate in public like this??

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kWpSos][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2kWpSos]ebrU[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/191750946@N04/]R W[/url], on Flickr
    Insecure much?

The weird thing is many times I’ve listed to Ebron, he seems like a nice dude.

I really thing some people should avoid the internet.

Legend

User Info Menu

Brian Batko of Post Gazette before the draft: "what is the one position the Steelers didn't address prior to the draft?.....the TE. What are they doing there??... you got Ebron and Gentry and that's it."

Legend

User Info Menu

I love the Freiermuth pick. Needed a TE and got the second best in the draft.
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    He really wanted this guy. Expected to have to trade up in the second to get him.
    Interesting to see how he as a defender sees this kids skill set.

Again not a "justification" of a pick after the fact but why we shoulddraft him before it happened.

I did not like the pick but I'm warming up to it now.
    I like how passionate Moats gets about stuff he likes.

He's a pro team guy (which I like, but has to be considered) so I like seeing his thoughts before we drafted him.

I don't dislike the player. But I think C was more important in the short term.

I do think that this draft is a good set up for the next QB. I think rookie QBs (or QBs that aren't able to carry teams) really benefit from having good TEs (and RBs). If we retain Juju after this season, I think we'll have a pretty good situation for a cheap but not great QB to step in to (if we can shore up the line).

But I think we really needed to upgrade at least C for this year if we're going to be competitive with Ben this year.

Time will tell.

And if the center situation does flame out, maybe we will end up being very bad with a similar offense as the end of last year. Then we get a better chance of drafting early a year from now.