Thread: The ONLY certainty from the 2021 draft class...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The ONLY certainty from the 2021 draft class...

Is that it just like every year, it is a total crapshoot and not a single person on planet Earth, much less Planet Steelers, has any idea who will or will not be able to hack it in the NFL.

This is why I have stopped even really following the draft. None of it matters until the pads are on and the game clock is rolling, so I'll just check in on the rookie class in September. Or, more appropriately, 3 or 4 Septembers from now.

It is almost comical how big of business the NFL draft has become, when even a large chunk of 1st round picks flame out from every draft class. And I really laugh when I see people talk about how terrible it is that 4th, 5th, 6th,7th rounders are destined to only be backups. We should be THRILLED if all of the middle to late round picks 'only' become backups, with an occasional starter and maybe even star pulled from the group. That's how a roster gets filled out after all. Most players on the team are backups.

Legend

User Info Menu

Peter Schrager asked Mike Mayock on NFLN yesterday if he was expecting to hear some criticism for taking Leatherwood in the first round, when all the mock drafts done by pundits and network analysts has so many more OTs being drafted ahead of Leatherwood and most had a 2nd round grade on Leatherwood.

Mayock replied: "I want to be as polite as possible, but we don't really care at all what you or anybody outside the building thinks of our draft".
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...

Were absolutely correct. Miami hasn't won squat ever since Shula left.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post

Is that it just like every year, it is a total crapshoot and not a single person on planet Earth, much less Planet Steelers, has any idea who will or will not be able to hack it in the NFL.

This is why I have stopped even really following the draft. None of it matters until the pads are on and the game clock is rolling, so I'll just check in on the rookie class in September. Or, more appropriately, 3 or 4 Septembers from now.

It is almost comical how big of business the NFL draft has become, when even a large chunk of 1st round picks flame out from every draft class. And I really laugh when I see people talk about how terrible it is that 4th, 5th, 6th,7th rounders are destined to only be backups. We should be THRILLED if all of the middle to late round picks 'only' become backups, with an occasional starter and maybe even star pulled from the group. That's how a roster gets filled out after all. Most players on the team are backups.
    Ultimately , you are right.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I didn't care about all the extracurricular activities before the draft. Players walking out like the Oscars. Mini concert. The hoopla. Similar to the Superbowl. I just want to watch the game.

People wonder why some of these players end up becoming prima donnas. Look how they are treated at every stage of the process.

Yeah, some people claim to know more than the organizations that invest countless hours and millions of dollars in the draft process. Teams fail the large majority of the time drafting players. You can also look at it another way. It's extremely difficult for players to make it in the league and last more than 4 seasons.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Peter Schrager asked Mike Mayock on NFLN yesterday if he was expecting to hear some criticism for taking Leatherwood in the first round, when all the mock drafts done by pundits and network analysts has so many more OTs being drafted ahead of Leatherwood and most had a 2nd round grade on Leatherwood.

Mayock replied: "I want to be as polite as possible, but we don't really care at all what you or anybody outside the building thinks of our draft".
    pretty interesting since thats exactly what mayock used to do at NFL network

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    pretty interesting since thats exactly what mayock used to do at NFL network
    That is exactly what I was thinking.

Nevertheless not a hypocritical as it might seem. Two points.

1. He might have understood this same truth when he was on the other side. His opinion made no difference to teams...it is meant to engage fans, which was his living.

2. He also might have much greater insight today on what resources teams put into the process as opposed to media. Getting coaches input, how scheme and team specific systems cannot follow a strict generic listing.

Therefore, yes, he doesn't care about what outsiders think. And that should be the case for any GM.

Legend

User Info Menu

What no one bothers to do is to look back and fact check how many of these draft pundits actually got players right. I would bet they would be embarrassingly bad. And what all of them lack is an understanding of how the drafting team will actually end up using these players.

Here's an example of a Steeler CB profile;

• obviously undersized and lacks size/bulk/length
    • may not have enough speed to compete vertically, especially given lack of size
    • struggles to contest vertically, too easily boxed out
    • competes, but predictably struggles to bring down bigger receivers/running backs
    • does not have a ton of experience in his pedal, more likely to open his hips and shuffle, and looked clunky when asked to pedal

this same CB is the one everyone is crying about losing earlier this year. The point is no one really knows until these guys get on the field and compete.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    What no one bothers to do is to look back and fact check how many of these draft pundits actually got players right. I would bet they would be embarrassingly bad. And what all of them lack is an understanding of how the drafting team will actually end up using these players.

Here's an example of a Steeler CB profile;

• obviously undersized and lacks size/bulk/length
    • may not have enough speed to compete vertically, especially given lack of size
    • struggles to contest vertically, too easily boxed out
    • competes, but predictably struggles to bring down bigger receivers/running backs
    • does not have a ton of experience in his pedal, more likely to open his hips and shuffle, and looked clunky when asked to pedal

this same CB is the one everyone is crying about losing earlier this year. The point is no one really knows until these guys get on the field and compete.
    Good one and exactly demonstrates how no one not sitting in the front office or scouting department of an NFL matters one bit.

Kiper is going to low grade any Steelers draft because he is first and foremost a rabid Ravens fan and time have proven he is wrong most of the time on his player assessments.

I'll trust our front office who spend hundreds of hours on each player.
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Good one and exactly demonstrates how no one not sitting in the front office or scouting department of an NFL matters one bit.

Kiper is going to low grade any Steelers draft because he is first and foremost a rabid Ravens fan and time have proven he is wrong most of the time on his player assessments.

I'll trust our front office who spend hundreds of hours on each player.
    When did we start this Steelers fan purity test?

Lately it feels like all the discussion trends toward the Steelers are great and always right about everything and fans know nothing. Or the Steelers will never win again until they replace everyone and start over.

Whatever happened to healthy debate about the team with normal fans? Itís like everyone is rooted on one side or the other. Either everything is perfect or nothing is perfect.

Clearly the team makes mistakes all the time. And sometimes they get something right no one saw coming.

Seems to me that 75% of the posts anymore are some version of the grammar police calling someone else out for typos everywhere.

How about we all acknowledge we are just plain dumb - every one of us. Then we can move on to more enlightened and rational discussion.

IRL, we get along with people who overlook our shortcomings. On the internet, we pride ourselves in calling our others shortcomings. Itís kinda douchey for lack of a better word.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I remember the year we drafted William Gay from Louisville. Fans were all, "wasted pick... camp fodder... pedestrian 40 time".
    Me: did y'all watch this guy? He reacts so fast that it doesn't matter what his 40 time his - his football IQ makes up for it.
    Them: well expert ___ says he won't make the team
    Me: expert ___ is wrong. He'll be in the league 10 years (that conversation still exists on one of these boards)

Not like I was an expert, I just happened to see the kid weekly and KNEW what he'd do. He was Deshea 2.0 to me - never to be a stud, but, definitely solid. I could have been wrong, but i certainly saw more game film than any expert that year...

Point is, you can't read some dude's write up and know what a player will become. It takes MUCH more than reading to know...

"studio GMs" LMAO..
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!