Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Steelers 2021 Draft was a mixed bag for sure.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The Steelers 2021 Draft was a mixed bag for sure.

Lets look at the haul

1/24-Najee Harris-RB-Alabama Arguably the best RB in the draft. Fills one of the Steelers biggest needs. Solid pick

2/55-Pat Friermuth-TE-Penn St. This pick will probably make or break this draft. Ultimately you want year one starters out of your first 2 picks. Friermuth will not be a starter until year 2 at the earliest. TE's are typically one of the toughest positions for rookies to adapt to. Reach pick.

3/87-Kendrick Green-C-Illinois If Green can start as a rookie then this will be a good pick. He is a an excellent athlete for the C position and plays with some nasty. Probably could have drafted him at least a half round later. TBD pick

4/128-Dan Moore Jr-OT-TAMU Starting LT at an SEC program. Should compete to start year 1. Solid pick

4/140-Buddy Johnson-ILB-TAMU Will be a core special teams player. 7th highest RAS score at ILB. Will provide good depth, but there were better football players at bigger positions of need. Questionable pick

5/158 Issaiah Loudermilk-DE-Wisconsin The fact we used a fourth round pick to draft a guy that almost everyone had a UFA grade on is a true head scratcher. This guy will have to be the next Brett Kiesel for this to work. Huge reach pick

6/216 Quincy Roche-Edge-Miami Fantastic value at this point in the draft. His junior tape was fantastic. Will give rotational pass rush snaps as a rookie. Great pick

7/245 Tre Norwood-DB-OU A true jack of all trades DB. This kid has played every DB position and is always around the football. I will be shocked if he doesn't make the team. Potential 2022 starter at slot corner. Solid pick

7/254 Pressly Harvin-P-GT If he can beat out Berry than the pick will be worth it. If not. Wasted pick. TBD pick

Other than Harris, Moore, Roche and Norwood all other players were probably drafted as reaches. This draft will be scrutinized for years if the linemen don't work out. Friermuth must also develop into at least a reasonable incarnation of Heath Miller also.
    Last edited by steelerkeylargo; 05-03-2021 at 04:54 PM.
    2021 Draft- Would love to drop down 7-10 picks and grab an extra 3rd and then use that 3rd to move up in the 2nd.

1/??) Asante Samuel-CB-FSU
    2/??) Creed Humphrey-C-OU
    3/87) Trey Sermon-RB-OSU
    4/128- Stone Forsythe-OT-Florida
    4/140) Patrick Johnson-Edge-Tulane
    6/216) Tre McKitty-TE-UGA
    7/245) Whop Philyor-WR-Indiana
    7/254) Tariq Thompson-S-SDSU

2022 Re-sign Minkah and Watt. Grab a stud LT and ILB in FA (we will have a boatload of cap room). Trade up for a QB

Legend

User Info Menu

Mel Kiper Names Team With The Worst 2021 NFL Draft

May 2, 2021

On Saturday night, the 2021 NFL draft officially came to a close after seven rounds and nearly 260 players being drafted.

Of course, following each and every draft, analysts from around the country place a grade on every team’s draft class. ESPN’s Mel Kiper basically wrote the book on this subject and has maddened fans with his grades for decades.

Late Saturday night, he rolled out his draft grades for the 2021 draft. It’s time for Pittsburgh Steelers fans to be up in arms after Kiper gave the black and gold the worst grade of the 2021 cycle.

His questions for the Steelers start in the very first round, after the Steelers selected former Alabama running back Najee Harris.

“This one is tough for me because I’m a big fan of Najee Harris (24) but am almost always against taking a running back in the first round,” he said. “And when I look at this Pittsburgh roster, I see bigger holes. Offensive line, corner, edge rusher — could the team have gotten better value at another position?”

But he wasn’t done there. Kiper also questioned the Steelers’ choice to draft former Penn State star tight end Pat Freiermuth in the second round. Although the clear No. 2 tight end in the draft, Kiper didn’t like the “value” of the pick – or the ones that came after.

“I just don’t see much value in Pittsburgh’s class, and the offensive linemen they did take were picked too high,” he said. “I haven’t even mentioned that the Steelers still don’t have a plan for life after Ben Roethlisberger. This class gets a grade in the C range.”

Kiper clearly isn’t thrilled with what the Steelers added over the weekend.

https://thespun.com/nfl/afc-north/pi...2021-nfl-draft
    Steel Maniac predicted no RBs would be chosen in the 1st round, so of course we selected:

1(24) Najee Harris RB Alabama

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    7/245 Tre Norwood-DB-OU A true jack of all trades DB. This kid has played every DB position and is always around the football. I will be shocked if he doesn't make the team. Potential 2022 starter at slot corner. Solid pick
    I hope you're right and that I'm wrong.

but Norwood doesn't look very good at the 1:20 mark and especially at the 5:00 minute mark where he looks like he doesn't have the speed to play in the NFL.

Steel Maniac predicted no RBs would be chosen in the 1st round, so of course we selected:

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I hope you're right and that I'm wrong.

but Norwood doesn't look very good at the 1:20 mark and especially at the 5:00 minute mark where he looks like he doesn't have the speed to play in the NFL.

LOL. Come on man. Cherry picked 2 routes at a practice session. Did you see the pick at 2:40. Ever been to latrobe? You can watch Joe Haden get burnt a couple times every practice. I've watched every game Norwood has ever played. He may not be the biggest or fastest. But he is always around the football
    2021 Draft- Would love to drop down 7-10 picks and grab an extra 3rd and then use that 3rd to move up in the 2nd.

1/??) Asante Samuel-CB-FSU
    2/??) Creed Humphrey-C-OU
    3/87) Trey Sermon-RB-OSU
    4/128- Stone Forsythe-OT-Florida
    4/140) Patrick Johnson-Edge-Tulane
    6/216) Tre McKitty-TE-UGA
    7/245) Whop Philyor-WR-Indiana
    7/254) Tariq Thompson-S-SDSU

2022 Re-sign Minkah and Watt. Grab a stud LT and ILB in FA (we will have a boatload of cap room). Trade up for a QB

Starter

User Info Menu

Mel Kiper Names Team With The Worst 2021 NFL Draft

May 2, 2021

On Saturday night, the 2021 NFL draft officially came to a close after seven rounds and nearly 260 players being drafted.

Of course, following each and every draft, analysts from around the country place a grade on every team’s draft class. ESPN’s Mel Kiper basically wrote the book on this subject and has maddened fans with his grades for decades.

Late Saturday night, he rolled out his draft grades for the 2021 draft. It’s time for Pittsburgh Steelers fans to be up in arms after Kiper gave the black and gold the worst grade of the 2021 cycle.

His questions for the Steelers start in the very first round, after the Steelers selected former Alabama running back Najee Harris.

“This one is tough for me because I’m a big fan of Najee Harris (24) but am almost always against taking a running back in the first round,” he said. “And when I look at this Pittsburgh roster, I see bigger holes. Offensive line, corner, edge rusher — could the team have gotten better value at another position?”

But he wasn’t done there. Kiper also questioned the Steelers’ choice to draft former Penn State star tight end Pat Freiermuth in the second round. Although the clear No. 2 tight end in the draft, Kiper didn’t like the “value” of the pick – or the ones that came after.

“I just don’t see much value in Pittsburgh’s class, and the offensive linemen they did take were picked too high,” he said. “I haven’t even mentioned that the Steelers still don’t have a plan for life after Ben Roethlisberger. This class gets a grade in the C range.”

Kiper clearly isn’t thrilled with what the Steelers added over the weekend.

Kiper is being too nice. This may be a worse draft than 2015 & 2016. Totally unacceptable and proves how arrogant (and stupid) Tomlin, Colbert, etc really are.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    LOL. Come on man. Cherry picked 2 routes at a practice session. Did you see the pick at 2:40. Ever been to latrobe? You can watch Joe Haden get burnt a couple times every practice. I've watched every game Norwood has ever played. He may not be the biggest or fastest. But he is always around the football
    I know what you're saying, but I watched him play in the Senior Bowl and we was far from impressive there.

the interception at 2:40 was by Tre Brown, not Norwood.

again, I hope I'm wrong and that he plays lights out and makes the team.

but I'm pretty sure we are now going to sign a veteran FA CB, fortunately there are quite a few out there.
    Last edited by hawaiiansteel; 05-02-2021 at 01:21 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

, I see bigger holes. Offensive line, corner, edge rusher — could the team have gotten better value at another position?”

sounds like someone who doesn't avtually know what the team's needs are.

why is corner a bigger need then TE? we just signed sutton to start the corner opposite haden, a former 3rd rounder with 4 years with the team in nickel and dime coverage. the back ups are another 3rd rounder in lane and a UDFA pieere who passed him up on the depth chart last year.

ebron is signed for 1 more year and backing him up is a former 5th round 6'8 265lbs our of michigan. certainly not someone who is going to keep defenses worried about the passing game

Legend

User Info Menu

Colbert said they liked Loudermilk because he looked like a young Cam Heyward. Watching his highlights he does remind of Heyward a bit with this motor. Maybe they could have waited on taking him but if they thought he had that much potential why risk a franchise DL? He can learn behind current starters for a year or two. The Steelers were clearly looking past this season for future needs. I expect one of Buggs or Mondeaux not getting out of camp.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
    Kiper is being too nice. This may be a worse draft than 2015 & 2016. Totally unacceptable and proves how arrogant (and stupid) Tomlin, Colbert, etc really are.
    Wow. I didn't see this before.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90’s who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70’s...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
    so you don't think Colbert is a good GM?