Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: The Steelers 2021 Draft was a mixed bag for sure.

  1. #11
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
    Kiper is being too nice. This may be a worse draft than 2015 & 2016. Totally unacceptable and proves how arrogant (and stupid) Tomlin, Colbert, etc really are.
    Kiper is wrong every single year. Most of the players drafted probably won't make it in the NFL. It's better to be optimistic about the players than not. All the players that were drafted have potential. So we'll see.

  2. #12
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Kiper is wrong every single year. Most of the players drafted probably won't make it in the NFL. It's better to be optimistic about the players than not. All the players that were drafted have potential. So we'll see.
    I was thinking the same thing. You almost have to be impressed that Kiper has such a prominent role when he’s right less than the weatherman. He’s terrible.

  3. #13
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Kiper is wrong every single year.
    Steel Maniac predicted no RBs would be chosen in the 1st round, so of course we selected:

    1(24) Najee Harris RB Alabama


  4. #14
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    I'll give Kiper credit for one thing, the dude knows how to market himself. No matter how bad he is, he always gets invited back by some sucker at draft season.

  5. #15
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    This is a draft grade from one of my favorite sites......

    Pittsburgh Steelers

    1.24 – Najee Harris (RB – Alabama)
    2.55 – Pat Freiermuth (TE – Penn State)
    3.87 – Kendrick Green (IOL – Illinois)
    4.128 – Dan Moore Jr. (OT – Texas A&M)
    4.140 – Buddy Johnson (LB – Texas A&M)
    5.156 – Isaiahh Loudermilk (EDGE – Wisconsin)
    6.216 – Quincy Roche (EDGE – Miami)
    7.245 – Tre Norwood (CB – Oklahoma)
    7.254 – Pressley Harvin (P – Georgia Tech)

    If we were to go through the positions that teams devalued in this draft, you’d find running backs and tight ends atop that list. Now, to be fair, the Steelers did snag the best running back in this class and the second-best tight end. I understand the Harris pick, as he can create yards on his own and isn’t as reliant on the offensive line as some others. It’s a convenience pick, but whatever, Harris is very good. I don’t quite get the Freiermuth pick, and not because he’s not talented. This has more to do with the holes on their roster right now, as cornerback, offensive tackle, and edge rusher should’ve been more of a priority. Again, Freiermuth was the second-best tight end in this class, and there was a big tier gap from him to the next one, so it’s not the worst pick, but taking Creed Humphrey here and then Tommy Tremble (if available) in the third round would’ve made more sense. Green will take over for Maurkice Pouncey at center, a pick that was necessary, though as stated earlier, I would’ve attacked those two positions differently. Taking Moore in the middle of the fourth was a reach, but that’s what happens when you pass on tackle in the first three rounds and they’re flying off the board. Not selecting a cornerback until the seventh round is also a mistake, as they lost two of their starters this offseason in Steven Nelson and Mike Hilton. Overall, this draft class will likely look like a miss in a few years.

    STEELERS DRAFT GRADE: C-
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

    Dolphin fans in the 90’s who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70’s...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

  6. #16
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    This is a draft grade from one of my favorite sites......

    Pittsburgh Steelers

    1.24 – Najee Harris (RB – Alabama)
    2.55 – Pat Freiermuth (TE – Penn State)
    3.87 – Kendrick Green (IOL – Illinois)
    4.128 – Dan Moore Jr. (OT – Texas A&M)
    4.140 – Buddy Johnson (LB – Texas A&M)
    5.156 – Isaiahh Loudermilk (EDGE – Wisconsin)
    6.216 – Quincy Roche (EDGE – Miami)
    7.245 – Tre Norwood (CB – Oklahoma)
    7.254 – Pressley Harvin (P – Georgia Tech)

    If we were to go through the positions that teams devalued in this draft, you’d find running backs and tight ends atop that list. Now, to be fair, the Steelers did snag the best running back in this class and the second-best tight end. I understand the Harris pick, as he can create yards on his own and isn’t as reliant on the offensive line as some others. It’s a convenience pick, but whatever, Harris is very good. I don’t quite get the Freiermuth pick, and not because he’s not talented. This has more to do with the holes on their roster right now, as cornerback, offensive tackle, and edge rusher should’ve been more of a priority. Again, Freiermuth was the second-best tight end in this class, and there was a big tier gap from him to the next one, so it’s not the worst pick, but taking Creed Humphrey here and then Tommy Tremble (if available) in the third round would’ve made more sense. Green will take over for Maurkice Pouncey at center, a pick that was necessary, though as stated earlier, I would’ve attacked those two positions differently. Taking Moore in the middle of the fourth was a reach, but that’s what happens when you pass on tackle in the first three rounds and they’re flying off the board. Not selecting a cornerback until the seventh round is also a mistake, as they lost two of their starters this offseason in Steven Nelson and Mike Hilton. Overall, this draft class will likely look like a miss in a few years.

    STEELERS DRAFT GRADE: C-
    meaningless.
    Steel Maniac predicted no RBs would be chosen in the 1st round, so of course we selected:

    1(24) Najee Harris RB Alabama


  7. #17
    Starter

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    Lets look at the haul

    1/24-Najee Harris-RB-Alabama Arguably the best RB in the draft. Fills one of the Steelers biggest needs. Solid pick

    2/55-Pat Friermuth-TE-Penn St. This pick will probably make or break this draft. Ultimately you want year one starters out of your first 2 picks. Friermuth will not be a starter until year 2 at the earliest. TE's are typically one of the toughest positions for rookies to adapt to. Reach pick.

    3/87-Kendrick Green-C-Illinois If Green can start as a rookie then this will be a good pick. He is a an excellent athlete for the C position and plays with some nasty. Probably could have drafted him at least a half round later. TBD pick

    4/128-Dan Moore Jr-OT-TAMU Starting LT at an SEC program. Should compete to start year 1. Solid pick

    4/140-Buddy Miller-ILB-TAMU Will be a core special teams player. 7th highest RAS score at ILB. Will provide good depth, but there were better football players at bigger positions of need. Questionable pick

    5/158 Issaiah Loudermilk-DE-Wisconsin The fact we used a fourth round pick to draft a guy that almost everyone had a UFA grade on is a true head scratcher. This guy will have to be the next Brett Kiesel for this to work. Huge reach pick

    6/216 Quincy Roche-Edge-Miami Fantastic value at this point in the draft. His junior tape was fantastic. Will give rotational pass rush snaps as a rookie. Great pick

    7/245 Tre Norwood-DB-OU A true jack of all trades DB. This kid has played every DB position and is always around the football. I will be shocked if he doesn't make the team. Potential 2022 starter at slot corner. Solid pick

    7/254 Pressly Harvin-P-GT If he can beat out Berry than the pick will be worth it. If not. Wasted pick. TBD pick

    Other than Harris, Moore, Roche and Norwood all other players were probably drafted as reaches. This draft will be scrutinized for years if the linemen don't work out. Friermuth must also develop into at least a reasonable incarnation of Heath Miller also.
    I mostly agree with this, however I think Norwood need to move to back up safety. The ball skills are there, but he's too easy to burn. I think fans need to wait a bit on Friermuth. He's coming into his own, and it won't take much to forget about Ebron.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

  8. #18
    Starter

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I'll give Kiper credit for one thing, the dude knows how to market himself. No matter how bad he is, he always gets invited back by some sucker at draft season.
    Kiper has become a character of himself. I met this Ravens fans once and he was nothing but nice and engaging. These days he looks like a mole man, a tier two subterranean comic book villain.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

  9. #19
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    This is a draft grade from one of my favorite sites......

    Pittsburgh Steelers

    1.24 – Najee Harris (RB – Alabama)
    2.55 – Pat Freiermuth (TE – Penn State)
    3.87 – Kendrick Green (IOL – Illinois)
    4.128 – Dan Moore Jr. (OT – Texas A&M)
    4.140 – Buddy Johnson (LB – Texas A&M)
    5.156 – Isaiahh Loudermilk (EDGE – Wisconsin)
    6.216 – Quincy Roche (EDGE – Miami)
    7.245 – Tre Norwood (CB – Oklahoma)
    7.254 – Pressley Harvin (P – Georgia Tech)

    If we were to go through the positions that teams devalued in this draft, you’d find running backs and tight ends atop that list. Now, to be fair, the Steelers did snag the best running back in this class and the second-best tight end. I understand the Harris pick, as he can create yards on his own and isn’t as reliant on the offensive line as some others. It’s a convenience pick, but whatever, Harris is very good. I don’t quite get the Freiermuth pick, and not because he’s not talented. This has more to do with the holes on their roster right now, as cornerback, offensive tackle, and edge rusher should’ve been more of a priority. Again, Freiermuth was the second-best tight end in this class, and there was a big tier gap from him to the next one, so it’s not the worst pick, but taking Creed Humphrey here and then Tommy Tremble (if available) in the third round would’ve made more sense. Green will take over for Maurkice Pouncey at center, a pick that was necessary, though as stated earlier, I would’ve attacked those two positions differently. Taking Moore in the middle of the fourth was a reach, but that’s what happens when you pass on tackle in the first three rounds and they’re flying off the board. Not selecting a cornerback until the seventh round is also a mistake, as they lost two of their starters this offseason in Steven Nelson and Mike Hilton. Overall, this draft class will likely look like a miss in a few years.

    STEELERS DRAFT GRADE: C-
    The drop from #2 TE to #3 TE was enormous. The drop from Humphrey to the next best center option was not that far. Plus as I've said before, the Steelers were looking for something from the center position that maybe didn't show up on the stat sheet. The complaint he is too light, well he's listed at the same weight as Pouncey. Not strong?... that's what a weight room is for. He is young and has room to build out. But the main reason I think the Steelers targeted him is this;
    Nasty demeanor and highly coachable. Solid positional run blocker who flashes the nasty demeanor and killer instinct scouts covet.
    I don't know about you but I grew tired of the finesse line of the Steelers. As Rooney said it's time to get back to Steelers football!!

  10. #20
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    I think Norwood need to move to back up safety. The ball skills are there, but he's too easy to burn.
    Source: Steelers plan to move 7th-round pick Tre Norwood (6-0,194/Oklahoma) to safety even though only 133 of his 1,329 collegiate snaps were at the position.

    — Mark Kaboly (@MarkKaboly) May 3, 2021
    Steel Maniac predicted no RBs would be chosen in the 1st round, so of course we selected:

    1(24) Najee Harris RB Alabama


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •