Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Day after draft 5 thoughts

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    I am starting to think that Freiermuth is going to have more snaps than Ebron this year, just based on blocking ability and more reliable hands. Ebron in a 11 set is goint to be a tell tell that we are passing, where as Freiermuth not so much IF HE PROVES HE CAN BLOCK.
    That would be a big win if it happened.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    I am starting to think that Freiermuth is going to have more snaps than Ebron this year, just based on blocking ability and more reliable hands. Ebron in a 11 set is goint to be a tell tell that we are passing, where as Freiermuth not so much IF HE PROVES HE CAN BLOCK.
    I doubt that but he will definitely see the field.

New offense, we have no idea what Canada is going to do with these weapons.

Iím excited to see what we come up with..

while we had a horrible finish last year we still won 12 games. I think people are going to be surprised with these additions and how they contribute.

Iím a but concerned about the losses on defense but overall I think its addition bu subtraction with the players we lost vs the roster we will have this year.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

The experts say we faired the worst in the AFCN. If this becomes true, the Steelers have dug a very deep hole that will take multiple years to climb out of;

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    The experts say we faired the worst in the AFCN. If this becomes true, the Steelers have dug a very deep hole that will take multiple years to climb out of;

They said that last season too. Everyone did. I kind of like that.

The fact that our drafts are so frequently undervalued yet we are among the best at it says our guys are superior judges of talent than the norm.

Legend

User Info Menu

Here is our grade from CBS Sports...............

Pittsburgh Steelers: C
    Best pick: Third-round pick Kendrick Green will keep up a long-standing Steelers tradition: Dominant centers. Green played guard in college, but will be an outstanding center.

Worst pick: I don't like taking running backs in the first round. Najee Harris is a good player, but backs don't decide titles.

The skinny: They wanted to improve the run game, so they picked a back early. They did balance it out by taking two offensive linemen in the next three rounds, which was smart. Sixth-round pass rusher Quincy Roche is a perfect Steelers pick.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Legend

User Info Menu

I guess the good news if they're right is that we might suck enough to draft a great QB?

I do think the average of these is probably more predictive any any single expert.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post

Best pick: Third-round pick Kendrick Green will keep up a long-standing Steelers tradition: Dominant centers. Green played guard in college, but will be an outstanding center.

Worst pick: I don't like taking running backs in the first round. Najee Harris is a good player, but backs don't decide titles.

The skinny: They wanted to improve the run game, so they picked a back early. They did balance it out by taking two offensive linemen in the next three rounds, which was smart. Sixth-round pass rusher Quincy Roche is a perfect Steelers pick.
    This makes ZERO sense.

You know I wanted center round one. People said the center class was so deep we could get one later and I bought in.

If center was so deep they are convinced Green is gonna be a dominant center, than they got away with going with the best back in the draft, instead of going center in the first AND a top tight end BEFORE drafting a dominant center.

If you don't like Green THAT makes going RB first questionable.

Only if waiting for center proves a mistake was our draft order wrong.

This evaluation predicts Green as dominant. If you think Green is a dominant center, they played it just right.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 05-04-2021 at 11:37 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post

This has to be the dumbest grade and explanation I have ever seen.

Steeler run game was terrible.. so drafting the best RB on the draft is a negative.

These folk are hilarious. But they also know these types of grades will have fans clicking like crazy and sharing it with friends and fans.

From what I can tell, draft experts put every teams needs ok the shoulders of their first pick. Look at the Bengals. They get a beast of a WR and its a terrible pick because they need OL. Doesn’t matter if they pick OL in the second round or third round. It has to be the first pick or its an awful draft decision.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    They said that last season too. Everyone did. I kind of like that.

The fact that our drafts are so frequently undervalued yet we are among the best at it says our guys are superior judges of talent than the norm.
    Truth there. No one calls them out a few years later when the Steelers again are shown to have been near the top in player value
    Footballoutsiders did a nice study on draft capital spent vs play received. Steelers were top 5 through 2019 (unfortunately BAL was ahead of us.)

Legend

User Info Menu

Truth there. No one calls them out a few years later when the Steelers again are shown to have been near the top in player value
    Footballoutsiders did a nice study on draft capital spent vs play received. Steelers were top 5 through 2019 (unfortunately BAL was ahead of us.)
    It is unfortunate that we have at least one other team in the division that is run well.

But we have reaped the benefits of the long term ineptitude of teams in Ohio.