Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 82

Thread: Day after draft 5 thoughts

  1. #61
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Anyone watched the involvement of the 2nd TE in the usual Matt Canada offense? It’s probably important to factor in what is required to make it work. Decent blocking on the second level, for example. And a TE that blocks ok helps out the OT’s that need to prove they are starters. Would you rather Ebron or Freirmuth chipping alongside Chuks?
    How often do you think we'll use 2 TEs? Last year it was 18.4% per Steelers depot (combination of: 1 RB / 2 TE / 2 WR; 1-3-1; 2/2/1; 2/3/0; 3/2/0...unless I screwed up the math).

    And when we do, what WR do you want to sit: Juju, Johnson, or Claypool? I think the answer here will be Claypool unless someone is injured. And he's one of our few explosive play guys so I want him on the field.

    Our base offense should again be 11 (1 RB / 1 TE / 3 WR). We were in that ~ 75% of the time last year. I think that puts our best players on the field.

    I like Freiermuth for the future. But I don't think he'll have much impact this year because I don't think he'll get that many snaps. Although if we're more run heavy maybe that changes...but I still don't want to sit one of those three WRs.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 05-03-2021 at 02:41 PM.

  2. #62
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    for giggles, i just peeked ahead and contracts for Tuitt and Heyward - if the team is really as excited about Loudermilk as they say, then it's a better selection than i initially thought.

    2022 may be the last season for both Heyward and Tuitt on the team, all at once. Tuitt's contract ends there and Heyward's contract crosses the dead money threshold there (and he'll turn 34 for the 2023 season)...
    I agree we have a looming problem on the DL (and at CB).

    Hopefully Loudermilk helps with that, but it's hard to expect much from a 5th round guy. If 5th rounders make the team, that's kind of a win. Replacing Tuitt or Heyward is a really tall ask.

  3. #63
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    for giggles, i just peeked ahead and contracts for Tuitt and Heyward - if the team is really as excited about Loudermilk as they say, then it's a better selection than i initially thought.

    2022 may be the last season for both Heyward and Tuitt on the team, all at once. Tuitt's contract ends there and Heyward's contract crosses the dead money threshold there (and he'll turn 34 for the 2023 season)...
    You're right. And you left out another aging DL as Alualu will be 34 next spring. Even if Loudermilk becomes nothing more than a backup, it at least doesn't leave the tank totally empty. The Steelers will have a DL room as crowded as it's been in a long time. And they need it. Think about who they are playing against in the AFCN:

    Gus Edwards 6'1" - 238 lbs
    Nick Chubb 5'11" - 227 lbs
    Joe Mixon 6'1" - 220 lbs

    That's a lot of humanity right there...
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 05-03-2021 at 03:02 PM.

  4. #64
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    How often do you think we'll use 2 TEs? Last year it was 18.4% per Steelers depot (combination of: 1 RB / 2 TE / 2 WR; 1-3-1; 2/2/1; 2/3/0; 3/2/0...unless I screwed up the math).

    And when we do, what WR do you want to sit: Juju, Johnson, or Claypool? I think the answer here will be Claypool unless someone is injured. And he's one of our few explosive play guys so I want him on the field.

    Our base offense should again be 11 (1 RB / 1 TE / 3 WR). We were in that ~ 75% of the time last year. I think that puts our best players on the field.

    I like Freiermuth for the future. But I don't think he'll have much impact this year because I don't think he'll get that many snaps. Although if we're more run heavy maybe that changes...but I still don't want to sit one of those three WRs.
    I agree, but - i suspect FO saw something potentially "elite" long-term in him. I'm ok with getting a guy that you believe is a long-term steal at that draft position.

    My wife passed through the room as they took him and asked, "is he good?"
    My response, "he's the #1 ranked human Tight End in the draft and we got him at the end of the 2nd... there was one guy taken before that, but he's a TE that runs faster than most WRs, so he's a freak of nature"

    I thought I'd share that perspective on Fry, cuz it just might help
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

    Najee Harris, YASS!!
    2021 Day2 Mock
    2. Landon Dickerson, C, Alabama
    3. Kelvin Joseph, CB, Kentucky

  5. #65
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    I agree, but - i suspect FO saw something potentially "elite" long-term in him. I'm ok with getting a guy that you believe is a long-term steal at that draft position.

    My wife passed through the room as they took him and asked, "is he good?"
    My response, "he's the #1 ranked human Tight End in the draft and we got him at the end of the 2nd... there was one guy taken before that, but he's a TE that runs faster than most WRs, so he's a freak of nature"

    I thought I'd share that perspective on Fry, cuz it just might help
    Was the #1 TE really a TE or just a large WR?

    I might argue we got the #1 TE this year.

  6. #66
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Was the #1 TE really a TE or just a large WR?

    I might argue we got the #1 TE this year.
    and for that to happen at the end of the 2nd is kind of a value that you might not want to pass up, especially knowing that you'll need one next year...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

    Najee Harris, YASS!!
    2021 Day2 Mock
    2. Landon Dickerson, C, Alabama
    3. Kelvin Joseph, CB, Kentucky

  7. #67
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    What I think about this draft:

    - If you would have told me Thursday afternoon that the first four rounds would bring a tackle, center, running back, and a tight end, I would have been thrilled.
    - The team did not take the players that I would have and in a different order.
    - However, I had posted prior that while I wanted these areas addressed, I did not know which players, and in which order, would be the best way to do it.
    - I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now until we know.

  8. #68
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    How often do you think we'll use 2 TEs? Last year it was 18.4% per Steelers depot (combination of: 1 RB / 2 TE / 2 WR; 1-3-1; 2/2/1; 2/3/0; 3/2/0...unless I screwed up the math).

    And when we do, what WR do you want to sit: Juju, Johnson, or Claypool? I think the answer here will be Claypool unless someone is injured. And he's one of our few explosive play guys so I want him on the field.

    Our base offense should again be 11 (1 RB / 1 TE / 3 WR). We were in that ~ 75% of the time last year. I think that puts our best players on the field.

    I like Freiermuth for the future. But I don't think he'll have much impact this year because I don't think he'll get that many snaps. Although if we're more run heavy maybe that changes...but I still don't want to sit one of those three WRs.
    New offense, new dedication to the run game. I would expect to see 2 TE’s in a Matt Canada offense reasonably regularly. And if it’s only 20-25% of the snaps, I’d still rather Freiermuth to Kevin Radar. The added bonus is that you really don’t lose much if you play 2 TE’s with Ebron and Freiermuth or if you play 3 WR’s in Juju, Dionte and Claypool.

    For a team with a starting QB with what is now, questionable arm strength, and a back up with equally questionable arm strength, the team is suddenly abundant with short to medium range receivers. And all are dangerous with the ball in their hands.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

    Light up the darkness.

  9. #69
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    How often do you think we'll use 2 TEs? Last year it was 18.4% per Steelers depot (combination of: 1 RB / 2 TE / 2 WR; 1-3-1; 2/2/1; 2/3/0; 3/2/0...unless I screwed up the math).

    And when we do, what WR do you want to sit: Juju, Johnson, or Claypool? I think the answer here will be Claypool unless someone is injured. And he's one of our few explosive play guys so I want him on the field.

    Our base offense should again be 11 (1 RB / 1 TE / 3 WR). We were in that ~ 75% of the time last year. I think that puts our best players on the field.

    I like Freiermuth for the future. But I don't think he'll have much impact this year because I don't think he'll get that many snaps. Although if we're more run heavy maybe that changes...but I still don't want to sit one of those three WRs.
    I am starting to think that Freiermuth is going to have more snaps than Ebron this year, just based on blocking ability and more reliable hands. Ebron in a 11 set is goint to be a tell tell that we are passing, where as Freiermuth not so much IF HE PROVES HE CAN BLOCK.


  10. #70
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    New offense, new dedication to the run game. I would expect to see 2 TEs in a Matt Canada offense reasonably regularly. And if its only 20-25% of the snaps, Id still rather Freiermuth to Kevin Radar. The added bonus is that you really dont lose much if you play 2 TEs with Ebron and Freiermuth or if you play 3 WRs in Juju, Dionte and Claypool.

    For a team with a starting QB with what is now, questionable arm strength, and a back up with equally questionable arm strength, the team is suddenly abundant with short to medium range receivers. And all are dangerous with the ball in their hands.
    What about J. Washington in this offense? Is he just a redundancy as a BIG WR?
    Yeah he is combat catcher ( I hate that term).

    When you consider the contracts ( Washington in last year of contract, while the others have years attached) and their attributes and roles as players,. JUJU is more sure handed, more trusted by the coaching staff. Claypool is BIG and fast. Ebron is a BIG RECEIVING THREAT. ( DJ isn't a big receiver so no need to menttion)

    Another out of the box thinking here, would he be tradable?


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •