Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Day after draft 5 thoughts

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    They drafted a guy with more proven position flexibility.
    So we hope.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90’s who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70’s...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    interesting analysis, very good insight.

I'm pretty sure Barmore won't be coming late to Bill's meetings,
    I hope you're right. And the transition from Saban to Belichick as head coach isn't a bridge too far - the two coaches are similar in some respects.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I hope so. That would align the rest of our O-linemen properly.
    what does this even mean?
    Dolphin fans in the 90’s who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70’s...

Were absolutely correct. Miami hasn't won squat ever since Shula left.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    IMO, they got it about right with their grade for the Steelers' draft.
    Which is an absolutely meaningless grade since no one knows what anyone from this draft will or will not do
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Which is an absolutely meaningless grade since no one knows what anyone from this draft will or will not do
    I remember when Kiper was in love with our Limas Sweed pick.

truth is it takes at least 3 years to grade a draft class.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I remember when Kiper was in love with our Limas Sweed pick.

truth is it takes at least 3 years to grade a draft class.
    Then why are you grading it?
    Update:
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and now 50% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    would you take this guy?

—Steadily gained weight throughout the 2019 season and got up to around 335 pounds, resulting in a noticeable drop-off in balance and technique

—Rarely tested in pass protection and will need to learn to refine his pass sets against a multitude of alignments and dramatic uptick in competition, especially at guard

—Needs to shore up his initial footwork out of his stance and aiming points in the run game to generate consistent movement at the NFL level rather than relying on pure upper body strength as often as he did in college

—Can reel in his aggressiveness and sharpen his angles when leading in space to more accurately line up smaller targets
    Based on that one write up and nothing else. No film, no interview, no research?
    Maybe later in the draft.
    Update:
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and now 50% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Then why are you grading it?
    show me where I did Squidkid.

Legend

User Info Menu

watching this team the last couple couple of years, I felt they needed to go early and often on offense. the first 4 picks address the offense so i'm happy about that

1 harris - no brainer, as was said many times, if he was there at 24 he would be the pick. watched some tape evaluating dotson last year, saw 3-4 holes that connor or other RB missed or was slow to hit, some of them were huge holes. i wonder how those plays turn out with harris running the ball.
    THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT IS MEANT BY SAYING "WE NEED MORE TALENT AT RB"

2. Fry guy TE. i was doing some of those mock simulators and the only way i was getting moooth was trading our 1st rounder and grabbing 2 nd round picks. he wasn't going past 40 overall in them and have seen some mocks with him going in the first round.
    watching his tape he catches the ball like he's 6 foot 200 LBs. adjusts his body to the throw like a small wideout and uses his hands well.
    PS.and i'm surely not a fan of penn st.
    could have had humphrey but some opinion i've read on here (steelerdeville) leads me to believe we might be better off with Fry and Green vs. hump and next TE. we will see

3. green. fast riser on the boards. very important pick becasue if he pans out and becomes a quality starter, the first 3 pciks are then A+ in my opinion.
    fantastic RAS score, and physical. hopefully he puts it all together

4. moore. looks like a solid selection. analysts were saying it was a deep OT and OC class and thin at RB and TE.
    looks like we took advantage of that and played the board well with a little luck with the board falling that way (thx miami)

4b. buddy.. fast active good tackler. another great RAS score which Jerry O alluded to in his presser. said he cant teach that explosiveness or speed and its his job to get him to learn the coverage aspects.
    hopefully he can do it, its been a long time since we had a difference maker on defense not drafted in the top rounds

rest of the draft looks good too. the only question is loudermilk. not going to get to crazy about it because it was a 4th rd pick next year but heard matt williamson say next year draft is going to be super deep with all the teams that didn't play last year due to covid.
    would have like to keep all of next years picks with the addition of some comp picks in such a draft.

UDFA - i think we could have a couple guys stick on the roster here. hearing brown should have been drafted in the 5th.
    that bundy guy is small and lite for his position but he explodes into the ball carrier. not sure how much he dropped into coverage but maybe he could become a ST ace
    Last edited by NJ-STEELER; 05-02-2021 at 05:56 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

show me where I did Squidkid.
    Ummm, you’ve made numerous posts commenting on your thoughts of every player we drafted. Who is a starter, who is developmental, who is depth etc.
    That is called grading a player. And you did it 3 years earlier than you say you can.
    Lol
    Update: