Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Day after draft 5 thoughts

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I basically like this draft. It addressed our needs.
    I wanted rb, t, c in the first 4 rounds. The te was a nice surprise.
    All we heard about is how deep the draft was at oline. How in other years players would be up a round or two.
    So there is no excuse for our first four rounds not to be starters day one.
    Update:
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and now 50% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    2016 draft was terrible ; and weíve still got ball washers trying to defend that draft class! Lol
    stop your lying, what's wrong with you?

nobody here defends the 2016 draft class, stop just making stuff up to fit your false narratives and agendas.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...

Were absolutely correct. Miami hasn't won squat ever since Shula left.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think we did a nice job in addressing a lot on the O, but may have overlooked the D.

How are we going to replace Nelly, Hilton, and Dupree?

Hopefully running the ball keeps the D off the field and fresher than last season. And we’ll have Bush back which should be a net positive.

I guess the question is will the O progress forward enough to make up for a potential drop off on D?

I do like that we have a punter with a big leg. Maybe that helps.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I think we did a nice job in addressing a lot on the O, but may have overlooked the D.

Hopefully running the ball keeps the D off the field and fresher than last season. And we’ll have Bush back which should be a net positive.

I guess the question is will the O progress forward enough to make up for a potential drop off on D?

I do like that we have a punter with a big leg. Maybe that helps.
    Flippy, in your best guestimation, why would they not just take the proven Center available and be done with it in round two? I’m not knocking the TE but I’m saying that if the mandate from the owner is to fix the run game then wouldn’t going about that in a more direct way be the best?
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Legend

User Info Menu

we're replacing Dupree with Highsmith, Roche was drafted to provide depth.

we haven't replaced Nelly and Hilton yet, I was surprised to see us wait until the 7th round to address the CB position. we will most likely have to sign a veteran FA CB now, fortunately there are a lot of them out there.

Legend

User Info Menu

Flippy, in your best guestimation, why would they not just take the proven Center available and be done with it in round two? Iím not knocking the TE but Iím saying that if the mandate from the owner is to fix the run game then wouldnít going about that in a more direct way be the best?
    Not sure itís that easy.

You could make the case for the long term the need a QB, CB, and LT which will all have a bigger impact on our future so why not pick on of those positions too?

I would guess they felt they needed a TE and really liked Pat and there wasnít as big a drop off in OL/C talent as their was with the drop off in TE talent.

I personally like the pick. I think a versatile TE is the 2nd most important position on O after the QB. Most would argue LT and that has its merits as well, but Iím taking a TE that can block, catch, and do it all. Not the glorified WRs listed as TEs because of their size.

Overall, I generally buy into drafting interior linemen later in the draft unless a guy is just too good to pass up.

Legend

User Info Menu

Not sure it’s that easy.

You could make the case for the long term the need a QB, CB, and LT which will all have a bigger impact on our future so why not pick on of those positions too?

I would guess they felt they needed a TE and really liked Pat and there wasn’t as big a drop off in OL/C talent as their was with the drop off in TE talent.

I personally like the pick. I think a versatile TE is the 2nd most important position on O after the QB. Most would argue LT and that has its merits as well, but I’m taking a TE that can block, catch, and do it all. Not the glorified WRs listed as TEs because of their size.

Overall, I generally buy into drafting interior linemen later in the draft unless a guy is just too good to pass up.
    Again , I’m not knocking the selection of the TE but since this TE isn’t a great pass catcher then wouldn’t you have to assume the pick is for his blocking?
    ( and he’s suppose to be the best blocking TE in the draft)

And If so, there are a number of guys who are TE’s that can block. I’m with you in the sense that if you had a back door option of center with Green, why not go linebacker or another area of need other than TE?

Are decent blocking TE’s that hard to find?
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Legend

User Info Menu

since this TE isn’t a great pass catcher
    not true, Freiermuth is a very good receiver and a big-time red zone threat.

have you ever even seen him play?

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah... but if Green is a developmental guy for the 2022 season ( I’m hoping he takes the center position this year ) wouldn’t taking a proven center be what you want if your trying to win THIS year?

In other words , is the goal now setting up for 2022 and beyond or is the goal try to make one last run with Ben?

It looked to me in bringing Ben back the goal was to try and make one more run at it THIS year. If so, then take a center who can play right away. If the majority of the draft is to set up for 2022, why bring Ben back then? Just let Rudolph and Haskins battle it out to see if either is the future.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
    I absolutely love this draft because anything Tomlin does gives me a boner.
    okay, whatever turns you on I guess.